[REMOVE ADS]

Dawn Robinson on Luther Vandross Calling the Police on En Vogue and His Rigid Tour

Interesting, I remember hearing about this but not this much details.

I think En Vogue later gave an interview to VIBE magazine where they talked about the tour and called Luther "Lucifer". Luther went on to have trouble with Anita Baker as well on their joint tour.

Luther could be problematic. My production partner, Teddie Morrow and I had a song for him that his manager was very enthusiastic over. He was on a roll and refused to listen to it.

He was a superbly talented performer with a once in a generation voice, but he was also a petulant and downright unpleasant diva at times. It always had to be his way or no way. I will always respect his immense talent, but like every human being he had his demons. He was paranoid about being "outed"which was very sad. That literally tore him up inside. I hope he has found the inner peace he could not find during his time on earth.
    May he r.i.p.

Okay, so we know or have heard that Luther could be a piece of work at times and Dawn
    Robinson said he treated them badly but honestly I cannot think of more than maybe two
    or three so-called superstar performers who did not misuse or abuse their own employees,
    peers of competitors at one point or a dozen others. At least Luther didn't violently attack
    anyone, terrorize his bass player, bang a lover in the head with a hammer, etc. I remember reading some where he was once in a studio set to record a cover of a Spinners song. I think it was Love Don't Love Nobody or Sadie, it was a long time ago. Anyway, after the musicians stared the introduction Luther stopped the session saying
    [[reportedly as I wasn't there) I only want to remember Phillipe Wynne singing this song....

Ralph, Bluebrock - I'm wondering ... without being too specific, were Luther's demands due to left-field issues [[M&M colors, etc), 'perfection' issues [[not liking a recording session's particulars) or a bit of everything? It certainly becomes more clear why some of his producing jobs were not what we would have wished.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    He was a superbly talented performer with a once in a generation voice, but he was also a petulant and downright unpleasant diva at times. It always had to be his way or no way. I will always respect his immense talent, but like every human being he had his demons. He was paranoid about being "outed"which was very sad. That literally tore him up inside. I hope he has found the inner peace he could not find during his time on earth.
    May he r.i.p.
    I felt Luther was conflicted but did not realize his fear was so intense. Even in the years since Vandross' passing things have improved, but the world in general is not as welcoming to 'my people' as the general public may believe. We'll see how the world at large treats Lil Nas X.

Watched the clip more carefully and have several thoughts. First and foremost, Robinson is a very intelligent woman as well as pure class. The lady was able to relay the tale unvarnished yet without rancor. Get it, lady! The fact that their manager signed a contract ... well ... technically and legally correct, but Vandross should have been more generous when he saw the reviews. S8!t happens in life and course corrections can be required. It would not have cost his career one red cent to have let En Vogue amend their contracts. Not letting them walk in front of his dressing room? Simply petty. I'll leave it at that except to note that there are those here who will demean other singers for far less unreasonable behavior. Lastly, regarding Luther purchasing women's boots and statement "I am a girl group". His private life and I do not consider this an issue in any way. BUT ... I just wonder if his real conflict was not with sexuality but instead with gender dysphoria, which is another matter entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Ralph, Bluebrock - I'm wondering ... without being too specific, were Luther's demands due to left-field issues [[M&M colors, etc), 'perfection' issues [[not liking a recording session's particulars) or a bit of everything? It certainly becomes more clear why some of his producing jobs were not what we would have wished.
    To be perfectly honest here i do think he was very insecure and unhappy due to his inner demons. He could be utterly charming one minute and then disgustingly unpleasant the next. He was a perfectionist in the studio and did not care who he upset in the process. I guess he applied the same standards for his live shows. He always wanted to be the one firmly in control, and if his wisdom was questioned it could take hours or even days for him to stop stamping his feet, but one listen to that glorious voice could make you forgive almost anything.

Peace&Harmony. I'm not sure what issues he was dealing with when we presented the song. Too bad. Her missed out on a strong song.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Peace&Harmony. I'm not sure what issues he was dealing with when we presented the song. Too bad. Her missed out on a strong song.
    I'm sure he did, Ralph - too bad for all of us! Happy New Year -

Dawn has been doing a LOT of interviews lately. She says she's writing a book but due to so many interviews I'm like, will there be something left to read. She's been dropping a lot of inside info on the band. She often says that the other members are still stuck on stupid. They've had some great opportunities but they always go for the contract that is least beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Dawn has been doing a LOT of interviews lately. She says she's writing a book but due to so many interviews I'm like, will there be something left to read. She's been dropping a lot of inside info on the band. She often says that the other members are still stuck on stupid. They've had some great opportunities but they always go for the contract that is least beneficial.
    I don't doubt her story but Dawn is a difficult personality too. Just ask her former colleagues from En Vogue and Lucy Pearl.

I think anyone who seeks celebrity or fame likely has, at minimum, an outsized need for validation and possibly a character deficit. Generally, they are self-centered and if they enjoy any amount of success there are many people around them that encourage those impulses. We love them as artists and entertainers but might not have cared for them if we knew them personally. I am sure there are exceptions.