[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Duets.

  1. #1

    Duets.

    I have always thought Diana’s vocal style lends itself well to the duet, particularly ballads.
    Which songs that Diana has recorded over the years do fans think might have made for great team work. Some of mine are...

    ”In Your Arms” with Will Downing
    ”Experience” or “I Love (Being In Love) with Barry Gibb
    ”Best Years” and/or “Let’s Make Every Moment Count” with Luther Vandross
    ”Cross My Heart” with Lionel Ritchie
    “Hard For Me To Say” with Luther Vandross
    “Shine” with Mick Hucknall
    ”I Love You” with Smokey Robinson”

  2. #2
    "Wonderful World". Diana Ross and Barbra Streisand would make this a lovely song duet.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Wonderful World". Diana Ross and Barbra Streisand would make this a lovely song duet.
    Now wouldn't that be fun. Di & Bab's are you listening.

  4. #4
    Dark Side Of The World could have easily been a duet by Diana and Marvin for inclusion on their album. They both recorded a solo version and John Perrone's duetised version really showed the potential.

    Blame It On The Sun with Stevie Wonder

  5. #5
    "In Your Arms" and "Dark Side of the World" are great suggestions!

    How about "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"? I realize Johnny is reprising his adlib role from "Someday", but I think as a proper duet the song would've worked.

    Maybe "One Love In My Lifetime". Also "Confide In Me".

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Now wouldn't that be fun. Di & Bab's are you listening.
    Diana had the opportunity to duet with Babs a few years ago and guess what? She turned the offer down! Can you believe that?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Dark Side Of The World could have easily been a duet by Diana and Marvin for inclusion on their album. They both recorded a solo version and John Perrone's duetised version really showed the potential.

    Blame It On The Sun with Stevie Wonder
    I love the mash-up of Diana and Marvin's vocals on “Dark Side”. I think it’s even better then their solo versions which are also excellent.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana had the opportunity to duet with Babs a few years ago and guess what? She turned the offer down! Can you believe that?
    My goodness, i had no idea. Had a song already been selected as a possible duet?.
    In truth i’m not totally certain a combination of their voices would make for vocal heaven, but it’s certainly a fun concept.
    Do you think Diana might have felt intimidated by the idea?.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    My goodness, i had no idea. Had a song already been selected as a possible duet?.
    In truth i’m not totally certain a combination of their voices would make for vocal heaven, but it’s certainly a fun concept.
    Do you think Diana might have felt intimidated by the idea?.
    The proposed duet with Babs was slated for inclusion on Ms Streisand's Partners album. The song was..... people!! There was obviously a touch of irony of course given the history of the song. For reasons best known to herself Ms Ross turned down the opportunity, and the song was offered to Stevie Wonder who graciously accepted the offer.
    I strongly suspect Ms Ross was intimidated by the prospect of sharing "that" song with Ms Streisand, but that is merely my opinion and not an official reason. That old chestnut of "conflicting schedules"was the official response to Ms Streisands offer.
    Sad but true.

  10. #10
    I find that easy to believe but ...with Ross body of work I have no doubt she would have knocked it out of the park

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The proposed duet with Babs was slated for inclusion on Ms Streisand's Partners album. The song was..... people!! There was obviously a touch of irony of course given the history of the song. For reasons best known to herself Ms Ross turned down the opportunity, and the song was offered to Stevie Wonder who graciously accepted the offer.
    I strongly suspect Ms Ross was intimidated by the prospect of sharing "that" song with Ms Streisand, but that is merely my opinion and not an official reason. That old chestnut of "conflicting schedules"was the official response to Ms Streisands offer.
    Sad but true.
    Interesting stuff. I’m not really that fond of Streisand’s ‘Partners’ album, but a duet with Diana would certainly have generated plenty of media interest.
    Had the opportunity arisen, do you think at a different point in time Diana might have been more amenable to the idea?. Say in the late 90’s for example.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Interesting stuff. I’m not really that fond of Streisand’s ‘Partners’ album, but a duet with Diana would certainly have generated plenty of media interest.
    Had the opportunity arisen, do you think at a different point in time Diana might have been more amenable to the idea?. Say in the late 90’s for example.
    I am not convinced she would have Ollie.
    She was very much in awe of Ms Streisand. I cannot think of any other artist whom Ms Ross would have been nervous about working with. They have met a handful of times but barely know each other. I was surprised and very pleased to find Ms Streisand to be an admirer of Ms Ross. I always assumed she was not a fan, but i was wrong.
    However, i do believe it to be no coincidence that People was chosen for the proposed duet. It is a known fact Ms Streisand was less than thrilled by the timing of the Supremes Funny Girl album, and i think this was Ms Streisand's way of informing Ms Ross that she was firmly in control of the situation.
    I do not believe a duet was ever meant to be, and that again is just my personal take on the situation.

  13. #13
    Here's a trivia question for you all:

    Name all the female artists Diana Ross has duetted with..

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Here's a trivia question for you all:

    Name all the female artists Diana Ross has duetted with..
    Flo Ballard, Mary Wilson, I think Cher, Ethel Waters. Can't think of any other woman.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Flo Ballard, Mary Wilson, I think Cher, Ethel Waters. Can't think of any other woman.
    Gloria Gaynor, Jennifer Hudson, and Whitney Houston.

  16. #16
    a duet that would interest me for Diana would be one with Gladys Knight . A new song , maybe centered around the concept of can you believe our lives, what we've done !!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Here's a trivia question for you all:

    Name all the female artists Diana Ross has duetted with..
    Brandy
    Mariah

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Here's a trivia question for you all:

    Name all the female artists Diana Ross has duetted with..
    Dinah Shore and Lucille Ball

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I am not convinced she would have Ollie.
    She was very much in awe of Ms Streisand. I cannot think of any other artist whom Ms Ross would have been nervous about working with. They have met a handful of times but barely know each other. I was surprised and very pleased to find Ms Streisand to be an admirer of Ms Ross. I always assumed she was not a fan, but i was wrong.
    However, i do believe it to be no coincidence that People was chosen for the proposed duet. It is a known fact Ms Streisand was less than thrilled by the timing of the Supremes Funny Girl album, and i think this was Ms Streisand's way of informing Ms Ross that she was firmly in control of the situation.
    I do not believe a duet was ever meant to be, and that again is just my personal take on the situation.
    It might have been interesting to learn whether Streisand herself would have excepted an invite request from Diana to duet on a song from EDIAND.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It might have been interesting to learn whether Streisand herself would have excepted an invite request from Diana to duet on a song from EDIAND.
    Interesting question, and i reckon the answer would have been no.
    Both Divas want to be no.1. There is no room for compromise. They are both accustomed to calling the shots, and both are way too stubborn to change their ways.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Interesting question, and i reckon the answer would have been no.
    Both Divas want to be no.1. There is no room for compromise. They are both accustomed to calling the shots, and both are way too stubborn to change their ways.
    Having met people who have previously worked with Barbra, they all say she is very keen to learn and takes on board everyone’s opinions. Perhaps a little to much at times as she can struggle to make a final decision. I don’t know if there are any reports on Celine Dion’s experiences of working with her, but have previously read Donna Summers account of recording “No More Tears”.
    Other then “People”, is there a song you would have liked for them to have recorded?.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Having met people who have previously worked with Barbra, they all say she is very keen to learn and takes on board everyone’s opinions. Perhaps a little to much at times as she can struggle to make a final decision. I don’t know if there are any reports on Celine Dion’s experiences of working with her, but have previously read Donna Summers account of recording “No More Tears”.
    Other then “People”, is there a song you would have liked for them to have recorded?.
    By all accounts there was no friction between Ms Streisand and Ms Dion. They got along well enough.
    I would have enjoyed Ross/Streisand doing It's Raining Men. It would have been fun. Other than that i would have liked a specially written song for them. Maybe Lionel Richie or Billy Joel or even Barry Manilow could have written and produced a classic tune for the pair.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would have enjoyed Ross/Streisand doing It's Raining Men. It would have been fun.
    Yes, it was offered to her (not the idea of a duet), wasn't it? But another song she rejected. How many hits did she turn down in that misguided 80s period?

    I think there would have been a chance (if they were speaking at the time) that she might have considered duetting on it with someone like Cher. They could have had fun and Ms Ross wouldn't have had to worry about being out-classed on vocals.

    When Bjorn & Benny's 'I Know Him So Well' came out in the mid-80s, ignorant me hadn't heard of Elaine Paige or Barbara Dickson and remember thinking 'if only this had been done by two big ballad stars like Diana and Barbra lol

  24. #24
    I think Diana instincts were right in turning down “It’s Raining Men” I really don’t think it would have suited her voice at all.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    By all accounts there was no friction between Ms Streisand and Ms Dion. They got along well enough.
    I would have enjoyed Ross/Streisand doing It's Raining Men. It would have been fun. Other than that i would have liked a specially written song for them. Maybe Lionel Richie or Billy Joel or even Barry Manilow could have written and produced a classic tune for the pair.
    With reference to Streisand, has it ever ever been confirmed that Diana was actually offered A Star Is Born?. Ive heard speculation as to who was offered the leading roles, but have never been certain. It might have been a great vehicle for her and a chance to spread her wings. Certainly a much better idea better then The Wiz.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    With reference to Streisand, has it ever ever been confirmed that Diana was actually offered A Star Is Born?. Ive heard speculation as to who was offered the leading roles, but have never been certain. It might have been a great vehicle for her and a chance to spread her wings. Certainly a much better idea better then The Wiz.
    I have heard the rumours, but i think that's as far as it ever got. She would have been very good, but that movie was always going to be Streisand's baby

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think Diana instincts were right in turning down “It’s Raining Men” I really don’t think it would have suited her voice at all.
    Too much of a novelty song also. Both a blessing and a curse for the Two Tons.

    With reference to Streisand, has it ever ever been confirmed that Diana was actually offered A Star Is Born?. Ive heard speculation as to who was offered the leading roles, but have never been certain. It might have been a great vehicle for her and a chance to spread her wings. Certainly a much better idea better then The Wiz.
    Also the music that Barbara created for the project helped sell it. But when I try to imagine Diana playing the role , I think so ! Easily as good as Babs.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Too much of a novelty song also. Both a blessing and a curse for the Two Tons.



    Also the music that Barbara created for the project helped sell it. But when I try to imagine Diana playing the role , I think so ! Easily as good as Babs.
    In my humble opinion, the soundtrack for Streisand’s ASIB is monumentally better then the film itself. Very much like The Wiz.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    In my humble opinion, the soundtrack for Streisand’s ASIB is monumentally better then the film itself.
    Agreed . That's partially why I say Diana Ross could do no worse.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Agreed . That's partially why I say Diana Ross could do no worse.
    The whole truth lol. Who would you pick to play opposite Diana in 75/76 had ASIB managed to get off the starting block?.

  31. #31
    on a side note about Streisand - years ago she released a fantastic box set called "Just For The Record" which contained a plethora or rarities,tv apperances etc I had it on cassette..I was hoping Diana's "Forever" would have more of this kind of vibe instead it was really just a greatest hits set ..I loved Diana's set but Bab's one really went the extra mile...

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The whole truth lol. Who would you pick to play opposite Diana in 75/76 had ASIB managed to get off the starting block?.
    That's a good one !! Hmmm.... Well not Richard Pryor, that's for sure ! or am I deciding that too quickly. lol

    (I've never found any of the SIB movies credible. It's hard to buy into the notion of winners being hopelessly attracted to such losers story line. The male roles never seem to have qualities in them to make them appealing in the first place. It makes the women look foolish.)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-06-2021 at 06:29 PM.

  33. #33
    Hmmm. Regarding love interest, i have to be honest and say Richard Pryor is not a name that instantly springs to mind lol.
    A Dream combo for me would have been Diana and (assuming he could act) Marvin Gaye. I can envisage the advertising posters as I type. Failing that, i guess they could have cast Billy Dee Williams lip syncing to Marvin’s voice.....Perhaps not though.
    David Bowie might have been a good choice.
    I wonder how a musical lesbian love story featuring Ross and Streisand might have gone down in 1976?.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    In my humble opinion, the soundtrack for Streisand’s ASIB is monumentally better then the film itself. Very much like The Wiz.
    Totally agree on both counts Ollie, but A Star is Born is at least watchable whereas the Wiz.........

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    on a side note about Streisand - years ago she released a fantastic box set called "Just For The Record" which contained a plethora or rarities,tv apperances etc I had it on cassette..I was hoping Diana's "Forever" would have more of this kind of vibe instead it was really just a greatest hits set ..I loved Diana's set but Bab's one really went the extra mile...
    Bab's boxset was as we say here in the UK "The dog's bollocks!"

  36. #36
    Berry used Diana's new movie power status after the success of LSTB on Marvin to record their duet album hinting to Gaye he could star alongside Ross in a movie if he played ball with the duet project.. Gordy ever the puppet master once more at play...

  37. #37
    when Rupaul finally came face to face wit Miss Ross on a U.S. flight in 1993 he suggested to Diana she would be great in a remake of "Mame"..Diana loved the idea Rupaul (who i once worked with) is super super smart...

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Berry used Diana's new movie power status after the success of LSTB on Marvin to record their duet album hinting to Gaye he could star alongside Ross in a movie if he played ball with the duet project.. Gordy ever the puppet master once more at play...
    As I've said before, Gordy was a master manipulator. He brought his street game to the music business.

    I don't know how good Marvin's acting was, but if it was anything close to his singing, pairing him and Diana for a movie would knock me out (retroactively). Personally I've NEVER thought Billy Dee Williams was much of an actor. The idea of Marvin replacing him in either LSTB or Mahogany is fine with me.

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As I've said before, Gordy was a master manipulator. He brought his street game to the music business.

    I don't know how good Marvin's acting was, but if it was anything close to his singing, pairing him and Diana for a movie would knock me out (retroactively). Personally I've NEVER thought Billy Dee Williams was much of an actor. The idea of Marvin replacing him in either LSTB or Mahogany is fine with me.
    I also have never considered Billy Dee that great an actor. There’s no denying that he and Diana shared amazing on screen chemistry that just worked. Having said that i generally find his acting quite wooden, especially in Mahogany.
    Perhaps Marvin’s troubled personalty was a stumbling block as regards him branching out into film.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.