[REMOVE ADS]

Defining Moments

***A very Merry Christmas to everyone***

If you had to pick just five songs that define Diana’s entire solo career, what would they be?. Remember it can only be five. Mine would be....

1. Reach Out And Touch
    2. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
    3. Good Morning Heartache
    4. Theme From Mahogany
    5. I’m Coming Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    ***A very Merry Christmas to everyone***

If you had to pick just five songs that define Diana’s entire solo career, what would they be?. Remember it can only be five. Mine would be....

1. Reach Out And Touch
    2. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
    3. Good Morning Heartache
    4. Theme From Mahogany
    5. I’m Coming Out.
    Great topic Ollie.
    These tracks are not necessarily my absolute personal favourites, but i do regard them as defining.
    1. Ain't no Mountain High Enough
    2. Good Morning Heartache
    3. Love Hangover
    4. I'm Coming Out.
    5. Chain Reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Great topic Ollie.
    These tracks are not necessarily my absolute personal favourites, but i do regard them as defining.
    1. Ain't no Mountain High Enough
    3. Love Hangover
    4. I'm Coming Out.
    5. Chain Reaction.
    Hmm...

1. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
    2. I’m Comin’ Out
    3. Endless Love
    4. Love Hangover
    5. Reach Out And Touch

1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    3. Touch Me In The Morning
    4. Love Hangover
    5. I'm Coming Out

In chronological order. Obviously, for me, Diana's first Motown period is her defining era.

Ain't no mountain high enough
    Touch me in the morning
    Love hangover
    Upside down
    Good morning heartache

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Ain't no mountain high enough
    Touch me in the morning
    Love hangover
    Upside down
    Good morning heartache
    Upside Down should have been in my Top 5 but then I decided I'm Coming Out was more definitive about her LGBQT following.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 12-25-2020 at 03:46 PM.

1. Touch me in the morning
    2. Ain’t no mountain high enough
    3. Upside Down
    4. I’m coming Out
    5. Missing You
    Love Hangover would be as well.

1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    2. Reach Out and Touch
    3. Good Morning, Heartache
    4. I'm Coming Out
    5. Do You Know Where You're Going To

From the UK's perspective

I'm Still Waiting
    Upside Down
    I'm Coming Out
    Chain Reaction
    When You Tell Me That You Love Me

I like Waiting but I still can't really understand why it was so massive notwithstanding the support of an influential UK DJ.

This was Diana's high point of the 70s - whenever she sang it in concert the audience reaction was beyond amazing. Every few years National Radio 1 would ask the UK public to vote gor their favourite record of all time and for years this would finish right up there in the Top 20.

Most of Diana's hits in the UK took their time to climb the charts but Upside Down was an instant biggie - it was unfortunate in timing to run into Abba's The Winner Takes It All narrowly missing #1 - it would have gotten there had it been released 1 or 2 weeks earlier, but it put Diana right back on the airwaves for a couple of years.

I'm Coming Out was only a moderate hit at the time of release but it is now how Diana is defined and is a major seller in the digital market. In the last few years it has gone Silver and Gold and is well on it's way to Platinum.

Chain Reaction - the song by which the general UK public define Diana - at the time massive in the cluba and discos and blqasting out on the airwaves from the four corners of the UK.

Ask 100 members of the UK public to name one Diana Ross song and this will easily come out top.

After a few lean years When You Tell Me caught the imagination of the UK public and became a Christmas biggie bringing Diana right back to the fore - every single she released after this was a top 40 hit in the 90s.

I'm going to take a different tack on this thread and will only list one song given this. The song that defined her solo career is from her time with The Supremes. I marvel at her performance on Everything Is Good About You. The effortless and stunning vocal DEFINED, at least for me, that there was a superstar career with real talent on the way.
    Last edited by rovereab; 12-28-2020 at 07:03 AM.

ain't No Mountain
    Good Morning Heartache
    The Boss
    I'm Coming Out
    Endless Love

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I'm going to take a different tack on this thread and will only list one song given this. The song that defined her solo career is from her time with The Supremes. I marvel at her performance on Everything Is Good About You. The effortless and stunning vocal DEFINED, at least for me, that there was a superstar career with real talent on the way.
    I feel exactly the same way. It has been one of my favorite Ross vocals ever since I heard it on the I Hear A Symphony album. Even more than the awesome Supremes singles, including its A-side My World Is Empty Without You, this performance crystallized Diana Ross' vocal magic. In that sense, I agree it is the one most defining song of her career for me.

I was thinking more along the lines of how Diana’s Fifty year career as a solo artist could best be defined in five songs.
    Such a list would surely have to include a nod to LSTB, which proved she was so much more then just a pop singer. Perhaps her greatest solo achievement.
    ”Aint No Mountain” is undoubtedly her signature song with “Reach Out And Touch” a close second. What other song could induce thousands to hold and sway hands in unison.
    “I’m Coming Out is another Ross anthem while the Theme From Mahogany is an Oscar nominated song from her second movie.

Aint No Mountain
    Theme From Mahogany
    Love Hangover
    Upside Down
    Endless Love

Endless Love definitely should be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    From the UK's perspective

I'm Still Waiting
    Upside Down
    I'm Coming Out
    Chain Reaction
    When You Tell Me That You Love Me

I like Waiting but I still can't really understand why it was so massive notwithstanding the support of an influential UK DJ.

This was Diana's high point of the 70s - whenever she sang it in concert the audience reaction was beyond amazing. Every few years National Radio 1 would ask the UK public to vote gor their favourite record of all time and for years this would finish right up there in the Top 20.

Most of Diana's hits in the UK took their time to climb the charts but Upside Down was an instant biggie - it was unfortunate in timing to run into Abba's The Winner Takes It All narrowly missing #1 - it would have gotten there had it been released 1 or 2 weeks earlier, but it put Diana right back on the airwaves for a couple of years.

I'm Coming Out was only a moderate hit at the time of release but it is now how Diana is defined and is a major seller in the digital market. In the last few years it has gone Silver and Gold and is well on it's way to Platinum.

Chain Reaction - the song by which the general UK public define Diana - at the time massive in the cluba and discos and blqasting out on the airwaves from the four corners of the UK.

Ask 100 members of the UK public to name one Diana Ross song and this will easily come out top.

After a few lean years When You Tell Me caught the imagination of the UK public and became a Christmas biggie bringing Diana right back to the fore - every single she released after this was a top 40 hit in the 90s.
    Hi Florence. Hope you are well.
    I'm still waiting was my first introduction to Diana as a 10 year old. I just loved that song and it started my lifelong love for Ms Ross. Remember Me merely cemented that relationship and remains my all time favourite Ross song.
    I can well understand why I'm Still Waiting is/was held in such high esteem because i am right there at the very front of the queue!
    Happy New Year to you!