[REMOVE ADS]

Is This Real or a Bootleg?

The record in the scans was found in a used record store about 25 years ago in Atlanta. The jacket seems to indicate that Phonodisc might be a reissue label. The plain yellow Tamla label floored me. This looks nothing like the Tamla-Motown label previously used in Canada. I'm curious as to whether this is a bootleg, reissue or an original of the early issue Motown 45s sold in Canada.
    Name:  Supremes 853.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  27.7 KBName:  29 Cover No 006.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  14.1 KB
    Sorry for the large pictures. The intent was to keep the labels readable.
    Last edited by nabob; 04-14-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks Nabob. I have more than a few Motown albums by PhonoDisc /Canada LTD when I use to buy records over there a lot. That label, the font looks like the one used on the Detroit [[or I should say Northern Michigan) pressings with the well known logo. It is interesting that the Supremes [[He's Seventeen) was issued on the Tamla label in Canada because I believe they did that in the States as well. It's really hard for me to tell [[if it is a bootleg) without holding the actual record in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is interesting that the Supremes [[He's Seventeen) was issued on the Tamla label in Canada because I believe they did that in the States as well.
    The first two singles [I Want A Guy & Buttered Popcorn] were issued in the US on Tamla. Your Heart Belongs To Me b/w He's Seventeen, was the first Supremes record on the US Motown label. The Phonodisc single while on Tamla, bears the Motown Sequence number [M1027].

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  21.1 KB
    I bought that record originally in Canada. It was issued in Canada on Canadian Tamla Records [[as were all Tamla, Motown and Gordy Records, listed with T, M and G [[for which US label) followed by the label's US catalog number). So, that issue was released on Tamla as number M-1027. But mine, and all others I saw had a brighter yellow colour, a different font, and The Tamla Globe [[red) insignia on top. I've never seen this particular pressing. It shouldn't be a "re-issue", as, I believe the first re-issue was on Canadian Tamla-Motown. I suspect it's a legitimate second press run of the original issue, but was made by Phonodisc at a different pressing plant [[?). Maybe [[for whatever reason) they had a special limited run pressed at that Northern Michigan plant? I doubt that it's a bootleg. How many of such a record could they sell?

I have this exact 45" single. It's the Canadian pressing with the same yellow label and the plain "Tamla" font at the top, without the globe. I bought it from Ebay a few years ago. It's from the 60's. Mine came in an original "Decca" sleeve. Phonodisc manufactured all of the original Canadian pressings of Motown albums in the 60's. The company was based in Toronto. Most of my original Supremes LP's are Canadian pressings and they all have a Phonodisc logo on them. I believe the last one I have from Phonodisc is the "Let the Sunshine In" LP. Robb is correct. All of them were issued on the Tamla label in Canada [[except for a few exceptions...as I believe the version of "Supremes A Go-Go" I have is an original Canadian pressing, but it has the Motown map label on the vinyl).
    Last edited by carlo; 04-15-2011 at 11:46 AM.

By 1966, my guess is that the Tamla-Motown label below was being used in Canada. Back at my mom's house is a copy of Ain't Too Proud To Beg on this imprint. The 1967 label below was found in a used record store in Victoria, BC in 1982 . The catalog number and the "HS" number match the US issues. The "HS" numbers were a sequencing model used for issues on all the Motown labels. The B-side would have the next number in sequence after the A-side number. The label indicates that the records were then being distributed by Ampex Music of Canada. I assume that this is the same company that manufactured recording tape.
    Name:  22 Canadian 60s Label.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  52.3 KB

Ampex Music! Now that is a name I have not heard in years. I use to buy a lot records from Sam the Record Man on Yonge Street in Toronto and at a few places in Windsor, London and Kitchner.