[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    and some fans have also mentioned that in the 80s Diana really wasn't focusing on pop charts. her absolute #1 priority was raising her girls and then her marriage to Arne. but she was also going into other business ventures and things so i guess she maybe just viewed recording as table stakes. she just sort of fulfilled her commitments and that's it. her first album was a huge seller [[even if some people think it's less than what she could have done). so she's severed her ties with Berry, produced an album that sold a ton, generated 2 Top 10 hits. and that's that. anything after that was really just icing on the cake

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    and some fans have also mentioned that in the 80s Diana really wasn't focusing on pop charts. her absolute #1 priority was raising her girls and then her marriage to Arne. but she was also going into other business ventures and things so i guess she maybe just viewed recording as table stakes. she just sort of fulfilled her commitments and that's it. her first album was a huge seller [[even if some people think it's less than what she could have done). so she's severed her ties with Berry, produced an album that sold a ton, generated 2 Top 10 hits. and that's that. anything after that was really just icing on the cake
    I think you can be a good parent and still produce worthy albums. Perhaps your right in that other business ventures occupied the time she might have spent being more thoughtful about her music.

I just started working my way through all of the 2-disc Diana Ross & The Supremes Motown Select Expanded CD sets. I started randomly with "I Hear A Symphony", followed by "Where Did Our Love Go" Expanded. It was then I decided to honor every Supremes CD in order. Tonight it will be "Meet The Supremes". Then, once caught up, I'll proceed in order with single-disc-only "Liverpool", "Country", "More Hits" Expanded, and "Sam Cooke". It's amazing what Harry, George, Andy, and Keith accomplished with these fantastic Expanded CD reissues -- every one of them a Motown collector's dream come true!

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    1978 "Ross" album. "Reach Out, I'll Be There" Love this song. Opening night, RTL, what a surprise to hear this song superbly orchestrated and beautifully sung by Diana Ross. I always wondered if Luther Vandross had requested it.
    I, too, love Diana's "Reach Out I'll Be There" remix on the 1978 "Ross" album. The Motown strings are especially gorgeous in this mix.

Listening to the Cream of the Crop ​version of "Blowin' in the Wind."

Ross seemed to have a very clear vision of what RHR&B should be about, much more than she had with other albums. She did an interview with, if I remember correctly, Q Music in which she explained how and why she selected the songs. Although not perfect in its execution, the whole RHR&B project -- thus both album and television special -- clearly came out of Ross's studying the history of R&B to such an extent that she had not done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Ross seemed to have a very clear vision of what RHR&B should be about, much more than she had with other albums. She did an interview with, if I remember correctly, Q Music in which she explained how and why she selected the songs. Although not perfect in its execution, the whole RHR&B project -- thus both album and television special -- clearly came out of Ross's studying the history of R&B to such an extent that she had not done before.
    The albums original concept seems to have been abandoned along the way, resulting in a rather odd mixture of old and new. For me Diana shines best on the newer compositions, making me wish the album had been a separate project altogether, away from the tv special.
    At that point in her career she desperately needed a contemporary hit.

Enjoying everyone’s picks!

Test Test Test Test Test

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    The albums original concept seems to have been abandoned along the way, resulting in a rather odd mixture of old and new. For me Diana shines best on the newer compositions, making me wish the album had been a separate project altogether, away from the tv special.
    At that point in her career she desperately needed a contemporary hit.
    The original concept was to have two albums. One would be basically the soundtrack to the tv special whilst the other album would be a more contemporary offering, This idea was abandoned when it became clear that she would not be re signing with RCA, and it was at that point when tracks from both proposed albums were put together on the one album.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The original concept was to have two albums. One would be basically the soundtrack to the tv special whilst the other album would be a more contemporary offering, This idea was abandoned when it became clear that she would not be re signing with RCA, and it was at that point when tracks from both proposed albums were put together on the one album.
    That’s something i never knew that makes perfect sense. I wonder why she didn’t just record a couple more contemporary tunes to round the album out.
    Naming the album RHR&B made it an easy target for criticism, with most critics in agreement that while pleasant, the album was far removed from being red hot.
    I do recall a sparkling review in Blues & Soul magazine which referred to it as being fresh and timeless.
    Rather sadly, uninspired single choices killed any chance it might have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    That’s something i never knew that makes perfect sense. I wonder why she didn’t just record a couple more contemporary tunes to round the album out.
    Naming the album RHR&B made it an easy target for criticism, with most critics in agreement that while pleasant, the album was far removed from being red hot.
    I do recall a sparkling review in Blues & Soul magazine which referred to it as being fresh and timeless.
    Rather sadly, uninspired single choices killed any chance it might have had.
    I don't think it turned out quite the way she wanted it to! RCA wanted rid of her and she wanted rid of them so neither party made much of an effort to promote it.
    Two thoroughly decent albums could have happened had the situation not turned so sour.

Very much enjoyed listening to the ‘Workin Overtime cd yesterday on a longish car journey. Crisp production, passionate vocals and lots to sing along to. I even remembered all the words to each song.
    Would dearly Love an expanded version, to include all those great remixes.

More and More - I simply adore this ballad from “EA”. Diana sings it in an almost Monroe-esque fashion that perfectly sets the mood of the song.. You can almost here the clink of the champagne glasses in the background.
    Favourite line “I finally acquired what other people live on”. Classy stuff.

I am currently listening to Diana
    Really like the original Chic mix's, especially Friend To Friend.
    I have added A few of my favorites from WO to my playlist
    paradise
    keep On Dancing
    say We Can

I think every day I listen to long play mixes of "If the World Just Danced". One day it will be a #1 mix on The Dance Charts. This song is a great workout song.

New remixes of "If the World Just Danced". Just can't get enough. Love this song.

I think every day I listen to long play mixes of "If the World Just Danced". One day it will be a #1 mix on The Dance Charts. This song is a great workout song.
    totally agree , classic Ross song and imo, best song on the album

"If the World Just Danced" is a song that should be outsourced by the label to formidable dj's and producers for hot new remixes. Bollywood will be calling as their movies end with uptempo songs and a community dance event. When I first heard this song it had the impact of first hearing, "Love Hangover"- a dance classic.

I did my own version of Last Time I Saw Him with my favorite
    Last time I saw him
    Love me
    I heard a love song
    Stone Liberty
    Where did we go wrong
    Sorry doesn't always make it right
    Funky ol rolls.
    Kiss me now.
    Want to go back
    Let me be the one

"He Lives in You". Sensual beyond words.

I'm In Love Again [inspired by a thread on the Supremes' best harmonies]

Now I'm gonna listen to more More Hits.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 03-07-2023 at 01:38 PM.

"He Lives in You". Sensual beyond words.
    I find the song more spiritual then sensual. Along with “Until We Meet Again” and “Carry On”, it definitely has emerged as one of the most memorable songs featured on the album. It made for a refreshing change when used as a show opener.

Was listening to The Force Behind The Power.

Heart don't change my mind.
    One shining moment
    Blame it on the sun
    If we hold on together.

Good album

oh wow - that does make more sense. although i wonder if the soundtrack would have done much. i have 0 memory of the tv special at the time. plus as i've mentioned in a few other threads, she was doing too many oldies or oldies-styled songs.

WDFFIL
    Sweet nothings
    So Close
    forever young
    rescue me
    chain reaction
    mr lee
    there goes my baby
    tell mama
    selfish one
    battlefield

oh wow - that does make more sense. although i wonder if the soundtrack would have done much. i have 0 memory of the tv special at the time. plus as i've mentioned in a few other threads, she was doing too many oldies or oldies-styled songs.

WDFFIL
    Sweet nothings
    So Close
    forever young
    rescue me
    chain reaction
    mr lee
    there goes my baby
    tell mama
    selfish one
    battlefield
    Not sure why she loved recording retro sounds during this period. Perhaps she wasn't too impressed with the current crop of songwriters. It's amazing that she turned down Islands in the stream and the chance to work closely with Daryl Hall and Michael Mcdonald who both offered more songs for her consideration.

"More and more" sublimates the actress who is in Diana. And that last note!

"Love on the line". Really like this one and she delivers a fierce, passionate performance on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    "More and more" sublimates the actress who is in Diana. And that last note!

"Love on the line". Really like this one and she delivers a fierce, passionate performance on it.
    i so want to like More but her breathy, wispy vocals just drives me crazy. I think it's a wonderful potential song - a very modern jazz number.

Love on the line is a good song as is Teacher. what i don't like is the combination of DR vocals and the Gibb's falsettos. IMO it's not a good mix and that's a major problem with the album.

i so want to like More but her breathy, wispy vocals just drives me crazy. I think it's a wonderful potential song - a very modern jazz number.

Love on the line is a good song as is Teacher. what i don't like is the combination of DR vocals and the Gibb's falsettos. IMO it's not a good mix and that's a major problem with the album.
    I still enjoy the album with the notable exception of the ghastly title track but i do concede it could have been better. Barry needed more time to mix the album but was not allowed to do so.

No way to like EA if you don't like Barry's falsettos. I think he is doing ALL background vocals on the album, except for EA where he shares with others. It's almost a featuring.

it used to really bother me but now I'v made peace with that and I enjoy it. Diana had to sing differently, had to phrase differently and that's very interesting and rewarding in the end.

I like the epic quality of "don't give up on each other" and how she build the climax with her voice. She did it much better than Dionne IMO

Expanded CD Edition of the unreleased album, "There's A Place Us".This collection is the perfect joyous music for Friday's early evening Happy Hour Party! The musical arrangements and vocals simulate a live cabaret show !
    Last edited by TNSUN; 03-24-2023 at 08:25 AM.

I still enjoy the album with the notable exception of the ghastly title track but i do concede it could have been better. Barry needed more time to mix the album but was not allowed to do so.
    i think this would make a great expanded edition to have ,disc 1 original ,disc 2 remixed version.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i think this would make a great expanded edition to have ,disc 1 original ,disc 2 remixed version.
    I agree and i honestly think Barry would be up for doing it if he was given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    No way to like EA if you don't like Barry's falsettos. I think he is doing ALL background vocals on the album, except for EA where he shares with others. It's almost a featuring.

it used to really bother me but now I'v made peace with that and I enjoy it. Diana had to sing differently, had to phrase differently and that's very interesting and rewarding in the end.

I like the epic quality of "don't give up on each other" and how she build the climax with her voice. She did it much better than Dionne IMO
    and it's not that i dislike the Bee Gees. i like their music a lot. and i like Barry duetting with Barbra on Guilty too. but it just seems as though the EA combination wasn't one i cared for. even when not in falsetto, Barry has a nasal tone to his voice. I don't know if nasal is the term i'd use for Barbra but of course her voice is most certainly unique. still, together the two work well

for some reason, DR and Barry just doesn't work for me

been listening to the supremes #1s
    and Supremes at their best

Goin’ Back - My favourite version of this classic song. Diana brings a wistful vulnerability to the song found sometimes lacking on other versions.
    Guy Chambers does a good job as producer, adding an almost gospel touch to the proceedings. I wish Diana had recorded it for “Every Day Is A New Day”.

I'm listening to Eaten Alive again.
    This song certainly doesn't deserve the stream of insults it usually gets.
    It has aged quite well and despite the cacophony of sound and effects, you can hear Diana's tone and her wonderful flow of words, whether it makes sense or not.
    Ok, it's not a masterpiece but it's rather better than this soup of Lovin', Livin' and Givin'.

I would be curious to listen the original mix, before Jackson did the remix.

By the way this shows that they plenty of time to mix it the way they wanted to and to do it again.

Keep An Eye - 1968/1970

Adore both versions of this song, but prefer Diana’s slightly more assertive vocal from 70.
    Both albums are absolute gems.

Have to relisten to both. But I always preferred the LC version....always thought it could have been a single

Little Miss Loser - Terrific early vocal performance from Diana on this wonderfully haunting bluesy number.

once again supremes sing hdh ,so many here,,,
    boucing back from baby its me and thank you

“All For One” -Great lyrics that most can relate to. For this reason, might have provided the album with the mega hit it so needed. It’s certainly a song Diana and fans took to their hearts, so why not everyone?.

I'm listening this for one month now. First time I'm mixing EA songs with others

Too Many nights
    if you'r not gonna love me right
    Gone
    Let Somebody Know
    Only Love Can Conquer all
    Tenderness [Original CHIC Mix]
    Oh Teacher
    Have Fun Again [Original CHIC Mix]
    Love On The Line
    Now That You're Gone [Original CHIC Mix]
    Love Being in Love With You
    Telephone
    Tenderness
    Now that you'r gone
    Have Fun

I’ve Got A Crush On You - Diana’s voice sounds far more vibrant on this duet with Rod then most of the songs on the “I Love You” album. Was it actually recorded in 2005?.