[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I’m Watching You - I have always loved this pretty, shimmering ballad from EA. I definitely think it should have been considered for single release. It has an adult, contemporary feel to it that really gets under your skin.
    I would love to have heard Diana sing this live.

i love Im Watching You
    lately i combined my fav tracks from Take Me Higher and Everyday and made my own expanded edition. so Take me Higher from me

I am listening and watching "Stolen Moments", which was filmed in NYC. The musicians and Diana Ross present a nice concert. Vocally, Diana Ross uses more ranges and delicate phrasing than she usually displays in a pop concert. Her varied musical phrasing is quite generous.The Michael Masser musical influences abound in this concert. Gil Askey and Diana Ross is a magical musical duo. The musical interludes of just the piano and the solo voice of Diana Ross are quite spectacular.
    My dream album would be an American Songbook by Diana Ross. Her vocal singing along to a different solo instrument for each song -but this is dreaming on a lazy Sunday afternoon!
    This concert partially satisfies this dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I honestly do not know. I would expect the Japanese tracks to appear on the expanded editions, but i have no idea which of the three albums. I am beginning to despair they will never be released. It's around five years ago when the idea was first muted. Sorry i cannot be of further assistance at this time.
    Thank you so much Bluebrock. I really do hope they happen. I thought Diana owned the return to Motown masters, at least for the U.S. I also still hope that London Symphony orchestra album happens after the new music is released.

Just bought the jackson's gh cd.. listening to that..well she did " discover" them lol....btw just heard "State of shock " for the first time..it's terrible..how it got to # 3 in the u.s. I'll never know...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Just bought the jackson's gh cd.. listening to that..well she did " discover" them lol....btw just heard "State of shock " for the first time..it's terrible..how it got to # 3 in the u.s. I'll never know...
    "State of shock" left me in a state of shock when i first heard it. Somebody somewhere must have thought it a good idea to duet Michael with Mick. Perhaps a decent song would have been a good starting point.

Yesterday 'The Force Behind The Power' lp, which sounded just wonderful after a more-than-1-year layoff.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yesterday 'The Force Behind The Power' lp, which sounded just wonderful after a more-than-1-year layoff.
    It is a beautifully produced and performed album, and one of Miss Ross's personal favourites.

Listening to a dance compilation I got yesterday a track came on by chris malinchak called " if you got it" which samples diana in "I'm gonna make you love me" as well as Smokey robinson it's a stunning track...

I have been on a Miss Ross kick since last year. I've been so afraid something would happen to her, so I took most of the cds I own of hers out of my storage! [[Which one of y'all is hiding me Eaten Alive?!) In my car I have,

Diana Ross Forever [[I listen to You Send Me, Where Did Our Love Go, I'm Still Waiting, Remember Me, Brown Baby/Save The Children, Reach Out I'll Be There, Confide In Me, Come In From The Rain, Home,The Boss, It's My House, Muscles, Upside Down, Mirror Mirror, Work That Body, Swept Away, Missing You, EATEN ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!, Chain Reaction, Workin' Overtime, This House, Waiting In The Wings 93' remix-one of my FAVORITE Miss Ross songs! I can't even listen to the original)

Diana Ross 1970 Expanded [[I pretty much pop this cd in and let em all play, and after the first run-through I'll go to Ain't No Mountain High Enough, I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is, Can It Wait Until Tomorrow?, Dark Side Of The World, Time and Love, Stoney End, The Interim [[one of my absolute FAVORITE Miss Ross songs!!!)

Diana Expanded Deluxe Edition[[I can listen to this whole cd EXCEPT My Old Piano. After allllll this time, I'm finally starting to kind of like it. My favorites are Upside Down, Tenderness, Friend to Friend, I'm Coming Out, Have Fun, Now That You're Gone [[my favorite on the album)

Workin' Overtime [[I listen to Workin' Overtime, Just Say We Can, This House)

Diamond Diana [[I got this from HSN when I ordered her fragrance in 2018. It came with a Christmas CD. I listen to everything except Why Do Fools Fall In Love. My favorite is Take Me Higher [[Another ABSOLUTE FAVORITE from Miss Ross! Love this era in her career. She was radiantly beautiful. My goodness. It was so nostalgic seeing her on HSN for that whole day because she looked just like she did around this time. I might skip Love Hangover and ANMHE because I don't like shortened versions of songs)

Lady Sings The Blues Soundtrack [[I listen to everything. Even the songs I don't really care for, which are probably only 2 or 3. I even listen to the interludes. This film is just so special for me. I'll tell Miss Ross someday about it . My faves are God Bless The Child, Good Mornin' Heartache, DON'T EXPLAIN, Our Love Is Here To Stay, Strange Fruit, T'Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do [[both versions), Had You Been Around [[I love this song!)

Diana Ross Blue [[I pop this cd in and listen to the whole thing except maybe Diana's version of Had You Been Around. I like the song, but I'm so used to the lady that Sings it in LSTB.

Stolen Moments [[I pop this in and probably listen to the whole thing, though I cannot STAND the order she Sings the songs in.)

Forgot to add I Love You! I loooove this album. This album is what sent me spiraling back into my Miss Ross hole after her stint on HSN, along with her Diamond Diana album. The songs I listen to most are I Want You, The Look of Love, Take My Breath Away, Lovely Day and More Today Than Yesterday [[my fave).

That's all that is in my car at the present moment as far as Diana is concerned. As soon as I get my other Diana cds, I'll swap a few out. Frantically looking for Eaten Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For some strange reason, I meant to edit in the I Love You post in and the whole thing deleted! I was able to save it first, though

I’ve been listening to “Take Me Higher”. I’m stuck on “Gone” which I wish had gotten airplay, at least here in Philly. One of the morning syndicated DJs used to rock the title cut quite frequently.

This past weekend, I bought a new turntable and one of the first albums I played to test it out was THE BOSS.

It has always been one of my favorites and I have long had the cd. But for some reason, listening to the original vinyl that I bought in 1979 just reconfirmed for me how great an album this is. In particular, I have a new found appreciation for the hot rhythm tracks that Ashford and Simpson came up with for the album. And of course, Diana's vocals were probably the hottest thing she had done to that point.

Had " the boss" [[early expanded cd) on this afternoon ..loved the riff of " everything must live " in "sparkle"..also had noticed the instrumental breakdown in the extended mix of "it's my house" before..that's cool...it's been said a thousand times before - diana never sounded better than this album

Diana Ross[[1970). I can’t believe “These Things Will Keep Me Loving You” wasn’t a single. I love her version and I feel like it could have been a hit!

Sleepin’ - To classy to have been a pop hit, but one of those great Ross vocals.
    There appears to be another non-album version of the song that has a more pronounced drum beat and slightly less instrumentation which I prefer. Was this perhaps the single version of the song?.

I've got last time I saw him expanded on..such an underated ross album

"You're Nobody till Somebody Loves You," There's a Place for Us version.

“How About You” - An overlooked little gem of a song that Diana sings to perfection. Motown must have thought it rather special as they added it to her Greatest Hits Album From 72. “If You See Him” was another great song included on that package. Both could have been sizeable Hits imo. So many great songs from that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    “How About You” - An overlooked little gem of a song that Diana sings to perfection. Motown must have thought it rather special as they added it to her Greatest Hits Album From 72. “If You See Him” was another great song included on that package. Both could have been sizeable Hits imo. So many great songs from that time period.
    And if you see him was strongly considered for single release in the UK. Not sure why it wasn't issued.

What greatest hits album is this?

And if you see him was strongly considered for single release in the UK. Not sure why it wasn't issued.
    Dam and blast lol. One of my very favourite Diana songs of all time. Great lyrics, superb production and one of Diana's finest vocal performances imo. I wonder why it was never released?.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    What greatest hits album is this?
    I think 72 was the release date, but it may have been UK only. Diana is sitting on the stage wearing a yellow dress on the cover. It had a gatefold sleeve with a huge pic of Diana from her 71 tv special in the centre. I consider it one of her very best compilation albums. Every song a Ross classic.

I think 72 was the release date, but it may have been UK only. Diana is sitting on the stage wearing a yellow dress on the cover. It had a gatefold sleeve with a huge pic of Diana from her 71 tv special in the centre. I consider it one of her very best compilation albums. Every song a Ross classic.
    Thanks Ollie. Never heard of this one.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Thanks Ollie. Never heard of this one.
    Name:  diana gh.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  8.2 KB

Iam listening to Smokey Robinson's greatest hits.."Mickeys Monkey" has the same chord progression as 'When The Lovelight" !!.

Name:  diana gh.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  8.2 KB

Iam listening to Smokey Robinson's greatest hits.."Mickeys Monkey" has the same chord progression as 'When The Lovelight" !!.
    Terrific album cover. I wore the grooves out as a nipper.

I hear angels bringing on her Funny Girl album what a magnificent collection of music when I play it to friends they can hardly believe it I also I’m listening to let the music play a go to song

Diana Ross' "My Turn".
    Vocal and musical perfection!
    In the name of love, reward yourself!
    Then listen to the Jackson's "Enjoy Yourself".

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I've always disliked the heavy percussion sound on "Hope Is an Open Window." I see that it's a remix by Christopher Ward and Tim Tickner. I'd love to hear Daryl Simmons' original production, if it's in the vaults.

Was the promo of "Sugarfee" an edit or perhaps a radio remix?
    There are more than enough outtakes and alternate versions to make a 2 cd expanded edition of this album, and indeed all 4 of the return to Motown albums.
    I am not sure why they haven't seen the light of day as yet. I am not aware of any licensing issues, and Miss Ross has no problems with them being released to the best of my knowledge.
    Maybe they will come out after the new album is released.

If We hold On Together - So many great live versions out there.
    Do any fans have a favourite Diana performance of the song?. Mine is probably Christmas In Vienna, but am open to persuasion.

Duplicate post. Things went a little weird when posting!.
    [[See above for details)
    Last edited by Ollie9; 05-03-2021 at 05:57 PM.

“Stranger In Paradise” - My Diana song of the month. I always listen to the DL album more in summer then at any other time of the year.
    I personally have renamed the album ‘Shine’. It ties in with the glam sunglasses pose on the cover, as well as being a great song..

Diana Ross 76 still a favorite

Rockin' 'Swept Away'

There are more than enough outtakes and alternate versions to make a 2 cd expanded edition of this album, and indeed all 4 of the return to Motown albums.
    I am not sure why they haven't seen the light of day as yet. I am not aware of any licensing issues, and Miss Ross has no problems with them being released to the best of my knowledge.
    Maybe they will come out after the new album is released.
    I surely hope so. Lots of great singing on these lps.

The forever came today remix milven posted ! Had an awful day with my illness this made me feel a little better

The forever came today remix milven posted ! Had an awful day with my illness this made me feel a little better
    Sorry you are suffering nomis. I hope the beautiful music soothes your soul and heals your body.

Sorry you are suffering nomis. I hope the beautiful music soothes your soul and heals your body.
    Many thanks blue..this forum is a highlight of my day and always makes me feel a little better I loved your recollection of miss Ross singing a bit of " I thought it took a little" to you ..keep sharing your memories and thoughts

Many thanks blue..this forum is a highlight of my day and always makes me feel a little better I loved your recollection of miss Ross singing a bit of " I thought it took a little" to you ..keep sharing your memories and thoughts
    Thank you so much for your kind words. I am delighted you are finding comfort and enjoyment in this forum.
    I have so many memories, some of which i had totally forgotten about until i re-read my journals. I will continue to share the one's i am legally allowed to share.
    I do hope you are feeling better soon.

It is a beautifully produced and performed album, and one of Miss Ross's personal favourites.
    Interestingly far and away Diana's biggest selling album in the UK.

We must be the only territory where it's not diana.

They went with the horrendous Doobe'doodn'doobe instead!

I don't really understand what happened with EMI in 1972 - they had shown the way with I'm Still Waiting and with no new material in the pipeline had more than enough great tracks from previous albums to have had at least 3 top 10 hits during the year - These Things, I Can't Give Back The Love, And If You See Him etc - maybe no-one could agree on which would be best.

I remember you saying that Did You Read The Morning Paper was considered for release - now I don't really get it at all.

This was an attempt to cash in on her immense popularity in the UK at the time and although there had been little time for Diana to have had many solo hits the track list on this using many album tracks is amazing.

Although it only peaked at #34 being in the chart at Christmas gave it good sales.

As a result of this album the 1976 Greatest Hits Album was titled Greatest Hits 2 in the UK.

Although it just missed out on #1 the sales were enormous getting up there towards Force.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    They went with the horrendous Doobe'doodn'doobe instead!

I don't really understand what happened with EMI in 1972 - they had shown the way with I'm Still Waiting and with no new material in the pipeline had more than enough great tracks from previous albums to have had at least 3 top 10 hits during the year - These Things, I Can't Give Back The Love, And If You See Him etc - maybe no-one could agree on which would be best.

I remember you saying that Did You Read The Morning Paper was considered for release - now I don't really get it at all.
    I am not sure what EMI were thinking. The guy i knew from those days has sadly passed away so i can no longer ask questions.
    However i did ask many questions when i was able to and he said they considered many songs for single release inc Didn't you know and These things will keep me loving you as well as the other songs mentioned previously.
    I hope i am not treading on anyone's toes here, but the word is that EMI UK were singled out for particular praise by Berry Gordy or someone close to him for having the knack of hearing potential hits that had been overlooked by the US office. This did not just apply to Diana. It applied to the whole Motown roster. Certain employees at the US office felt the force of Mr Gordy's displeasure, and as such certain requests for single release by the UK office were refused. This caused something of a relationship rift which perhaps never fully healed.
    I had absolutely no reason to disbelieve my late friend who had nothing to gain by telling me this, but it does go some way to explaining some of the baffling decisions made in the 70's.
    I think i shall leave it at that for the moment.

I am not sure what EMI were thinking. The guy i knew from those days has sadly passed away so i can no longer ask questions.
    However i did ask many questions when i was able to and he said they considered many songs for single release inc Didn't you know and These things will keep me loving you as well as the other songs mentioned previously.
    I hope i am not treading on anyone's toes here, but the word is that EMI UK were singled out for particular praise by Berry Gordy or someone close to him for having the knack of hearing potential hits that had been overlooked by the US office. This did not just apply to Diana. It applied to the whole Motown roster. Certain employees at the US office felt the force of Mr Gordy's displeasure, and as such certain requests for single release by the UK office were refused. This caused something of a relationship rift which perhaps never fully healed.
    I had absolutely no reason to disbelieve my late friend who had nothing to gain by telling me this, but it does go some way to explaining some of the baffling decisions made in the 70's.
    I think i shall leave it at that for the moment.
    Now that is really interesting.

One album that I listen to regularly is To Love Again.

Despite a couple of bummers in One More Chance [[my second least fav Diana single) and the just okay I Thought It Took a Little Time these were all class songs.

I think the problem with this album is that the fans were unhappy with the number of previously released tracks on it but taking them at face value they were beautiful ballads and Diana just floats seamlessly through them.

It's a joy to listen to.

I'm putting together another Christmas mix CD, and this one's Diana Ross contribution is Blame It On The Sun, so that's the Diana Ross song I've listened to most recently.

The title song of this mix CD is I Want A Love I Can See, featuring The Underdogs' version from the most recent Cellarful album.

The sequence for the Diana Ross segment is Lost Without You, by the Four Tops, The Rain Will Fall, by Barbra Streisand, Baby, The Rain Must Fall, by Glenn Yarbrough, Blame It On The Sun, by Diana Ross, To See The Sun Again, by Chuck Jackson and Deep Freeze by Brenda Holloway. Elsewhere in this set, Brenda is back, with Jimmy Ruffin, to sing Rebound, and Blinky shows up to perform Sweet Joy Of Life.

I never had a problem with the “To love again” album. Even at a young age, I realized that this was a Michael Masser greatest hit album with “new”/ unreleased songs. The cherry on the top were the gorgeous album photos. Overall I rate this album very high.

of course Thank You but that got me to listen to Diana sings the Wiz. i think Brand New Day could have been a single back that, great feel to it.

I’m playing Meet The Supremes mono minus the first two singles, Mono Breath Taking Guy, Mono My Heart Can’t Take it, single Run Run Run, Funny How Time.

I’ve been playing Swept Away, TMH, TMITM.

PS: I think Doobe was the natural choice to follow ISW. I’m still waiting had an amazing hook and chorus I think would’ve been irresistible if it had been played in the US or exposed on TV. There’s really nothing else radio friendly on the album, maybe ain’t no sad song had a slim chance. If you look at what was being played on the radio at the time, the music was much more dynamic, syrupy, unique and/or clever. I like everything is everything a lot, but I still say the only two tracks that sounded like they had a chance to make it as singles were the two released in the UK. I can’t imagine they’re releasing that album with no single for an entire year. But I wont start that rent for the 5 millionth time.
    I don’t think anything on surrender would’ve hit in the United States. If you can’t get a hit off the title track, the other ones didn’t have a chance. I don’t know about in the UK because I’m surprised automatically sunshine hit there - they seem more flexible with their playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I’m playing Meet The Supremes mono minus the first two singles, Mono Breath Taking Guy, Mono My Heart Can’t Take it, single Run Run Run, Funny How Time.

I’ve been playing Swept Away, TMH, TMITM.

PS: I think Doobe was the natural choice to follow ISW. I’m still waiting had an amazing hook and chorus I think would’ve been irresistible if it had been played in the US or exposed on TV. There’s really nothing else radio friendly on the album, maybe ain’t no sad song had a slim chance. If you look at what was being played on the radio at the time, the music was much more dynamic, syrupy, unique and/or clever. I like everything is everything a lot, but I still say the only two tracks that sounded like they had a chance to make it as singles were the two released in the UK. I can’t imagine they’re releasing that album with no single for an entire year. But I wont start that rent for the 5 millionth time.
    I don’t think anything on surrender would’ve hit in the United States. If you can’t get a hit off the title track, the other ones didn’t have a chance. I don’t know about in the UK because I’m surprised automatically sunshine hit there - they seem more flexible with their playlists.
    I respectfully disagree. ”My Place”, “Baby It’s Love”, “Close To You” And “How About You” were all extremely radio friendly.
    ”And If You See Him” would have been my choice as the follow up “I’m Still Waiting”. Moody and dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    of course Thank You but that got me to listen to Diana sings the Wiz. i think Brand New Day could have been a single back that, great feel to it.
    Name:  R-537926-1129161262.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  73.5 KB

#1 in the Netherlands!