[REMOVE ADS]

Bee gees documentary on hbo

Just watched "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" on HBO about the Brothers Gibbs and it was filled with great music, great footage, great history and sadness. Highly recommended and side note, I forgot that "How Can I Mend A Broken Heart" was a Bee Gees song. Al did such a great job of making the song the song his own but do yourselves a favor and tune in.

I would love to see the doc but I don't subscribe to HBO. HBO is quite proprietary about their programming so I don't think it will be available to non-subscribers anytime soon. The NY Times has a good review of the film as well as a long-form story with Barry that's worth a look-up.

It's a wonderful profile of one of the alltime great vocal groups/songwriters/producers.
    UK viewers can currently catch it on Sky Documentaries at 9pm Saturday 19th Dec. I think it is also available on their catch up service.
    By a spooky co-incidence Sky Arts will be airing another Bee Gees profile entitled In our own time at 7pm Sat 19th Dec.
    A veritable pre-Christmas treat for UK based fans, and Barry has personally endorsed and contributed to both documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I would love to see the doc but I don't subscribe to HBO. HBO is quite proprietary about their programming so I don't think it will be available to non-subscribers anytime soon. The NY Times has a good review of the film as well as a long-form story with Barry that's worth a look-up.
    Sometimes they have 7 day free trials. Just send yourself a reminder to cancel on the 6th day.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Sometimes they have 7 day free trials. Just send yourself a reminder to cancel on the 6th day.
    That would be great for the coming week when I have some days off. Thanks, Glencro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's a wonderful profile of one of the alltime great vocal groups/songwriters/producers.
    UK viewers can currently catch it on Sky Documentaries at 9pm Saturday 19th Dec. I think it is also available on their catch up service.
    By a spooky co-incidence Sky Arts will be airing another Bee Gees profile entitled In our own time at 7pm Sat 19th Dec.
    A veritable pre-Christmas treat for UK based fans, and Barry has personally endorsed and contributed to both documentaries.
    My admiration of Barry has grown since the untimely passing of all 3 of his brothers. He has an emotional burden that must be difficult regardless of his success. His '16 solo lp 'In The Now' is excellent.

My admiration of Barry has grown since the untimely passing of all 3 of his brothers. He has an emotional burden that must be difficult regardless of his success. His '16 solo lp 'In The Now' is excellent.
    He has experienced some amazing highs and some crashing lows in his life. Barry would be the first to tell you he had major issues with all his siblings at one time or another.
    He is a really nice guy. Highly intelligent, very creative and very focused. His faith in the Almighty has sustained him during the very dark times, as indeed has mine.

Loved seeing the footage of The Stylistics "I Can't Give You Anything, But My Love" - very cool, love that tune so much.

He has experienced some amazing highs and some crashing lows in his life. Barry would be the first to tell you he had major issues with all his siblings at one time or another.
    He is a really nice guy. Highly intelligent, very creative and very focused. His faith in the Almighty has sustained him during the very dark times, as indeed has mine.

Faith in the almighty eventually gets you through everything imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Faith in the almighty eventually gets you through everything imo.
    Preach my friend Preach!

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Sometimes it's a 30-day free trial. Even worth paying for one month, if necessary.
    One of the best documentaries ever. So well done. The story about the brothers' relationships and their surprising enormous success is heartwarming and astounding.

Happy Holidays, Guys.

Nina Mallin

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post
    Sometimes it's a 30-day free trial. Even worth paying for one month, if necessary.
    One of the best documentaries ever. So well done. The story about the brothers' relationships and their surprising enormous success is heartwarming and astounding.
    I recommend it even if you are not a brothers Gibb fan.

Happy Holidays, Guys.

Nina Mallin
    I so agree with you. I was fortunate enough to watch an advanced preview of this a couple of months ago. I have just watched it again and it moved me to tears again. That may or may not have something to do with current circumstances in my life, but it has been another emotional evening for me.
    I recommend this film even if you are not a fan of the brothers Gibb.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 12-22-2020 at 05:38 PM.

I saw this on Saturday. It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. I lost my brother in early July and I agree with what Barry said [[I'm paraphrasing) at the very end that he'd rather have his brother with him now then anything else. My sister and I, upon discovering what my brother left us in his will, simply cried at the time, because we, too, said we'd give all the money back to have him with us.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I saw this on Saturday. It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. I lost my brother in early July and I agree with what Barry said [[I'm paraphrasing) at the very end that he'd rather have his brother with him now then anything else. My sister and I, upon discovering what my brother left us in his will, simply cried at the time, because we, too, said we'd give all the money back to have him with us.
    So sorry for your loss. There is nothing more important than family. I hope your precious memories of your brother are bringing you comfort as you come to terms with his departure from this life.
    My thoughts are with you.

So sorry for your loss. There is nothing more important than family. I hope your precious memories of your brother are bringing you comfort as you come to terms with his departure from this life.
    My thoughts are with you.
    Barry has been also doing quite a bit of press for the new country-duo lp. Is anyone interested in having these articles posted here?

Thanks for the offer PNH... I'd be interested as I've been a fan since the beginning in 1967.

Barry has been also doing quite a bit of press for the new country-duo lp. Is anyone interested in having these articles posted here?
    For sure we are. He is one of the all time greats. We must treasure him whilst he is still with us.