[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dusty Springfield "The Complete Atlantic Singles 1968-1971" [[Real Gone)

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...26ff23a6534622

Description

In 1968, Dusty Springfield was already an international superstar with 15 hits under her belt for the Philips label when she decided it was time to for a change. What followed was one of the most legendary and momentous label moves in pop music history: Dusty decamped to Atlantic Records, where, under the tutelage of Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd, and Arif Mardin, she recorded one of the greatest albums of all time, Dusty in Memphis, and scored such indelible hits as 'Son-of-a Preacher Man' and 'The Windmills of Your Mind' before moving on to Philly soul [['A Brand New Me'). We at Real Gone Music have closely examined this crucial period in Dusty's career over the years, with three previous releases. But there remains one facet of her Atlantic period which has remained largely untouched: her singles. The Complete Atlantic Singles1968-1971 presents the A and B-sides of all dozen singles she recorded for the label in their original mono single mixes, only eight of which have previously appeared on CD. That's right'only eight [[the ones that were on Dusty in Memphis) of these 24 tracks have been on CD, and these singular sides highlight how the move to a more R&B sound at Atlantic [[also aided by producers Gamble & Huff and Jeff Barry with such players as The Memphis Boys and The Sweet Inspirations) brilliantly capitalized on the smoky tones of Dusty's mezzo-soprano to create some of the most potent blue-eyed soul ever recorded. Mastered by Mike Milchner from original tape sources, annotated by Joe Marchese, and featuring copious photos, The Complete Atlantic Singles 1968-1971 is an absolute must for any Dusty devotee or any soul fan to boot.

Tracklist
    TBA
    Name:  51P0Sr-BROL.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  37.5 KB

1. SON-OF-A PREACHER MAN
    2. JUST A LITTLE LOVIN’ [[Early In The Mornin’)
    3. DON’T FORGET ABOUT ME
    4. BREAKFAST IN BED
    5. THE WINDMILLS OF YOUR MIND
    6. I DON’T WANT TO HEAR IT ANYMORE
    7. WILLIE & LAURA MAE JONES
    8. THAT OLD SWEET ROLL [[Hi-De-Ho)
    9. IN THE LAND OF MAKE BELIEVE
    10. SO MUCH LOVE
    11. A BRAND NEW ME
    12. BAD CASE OF THE BLUES
    13. SILLY, SILLY FOOL
    14. JOE
    15. I WANNA BE A FREE GIRL
    16. LET ME GET IN YOUR WAY
    17. LOST
    18. NEVER LOVE AGAIN
    19. WHAT GOOD IS I LOVE YOU
    20. WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN LOVE DIES
    21. HAUNTED
    22. NOTHING IS FOREVER
    23. I BELIEVE IN YOU
    24. SOMEONE WHO CARES

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...26ff23a6534622

Description

In 1968, Dusty Springfield was already an international superstar with 15 hits under her belt for the Philips label when she decided it was time to for a change. What followed was one of the most legendary and momentous label moves in pop music history: Dusty decamped to Atlantic Records, where, under the tutelage of Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd, and Arif Mardin, she recorded one of the greatest albums of all time, Dusty in Memphis, and scored such indelible hits as 'Son-of-a Preacher Man' and 'The Windmills of Your Mind' before moving on to Philly soul [['A Brand New Me'). We at Real Gone Music have closely examined this crucial period in Dusty's career over the years, with three previous releases. But there remains one facet of her Atlantic period which has remained largely untouched: her singles. The Complete Atlantic Singles1968-1971 presents the A and B-sides of all dozen singles she recorded for the label in their original mono single mixes, only eight of which have previously appeared on CD. That's right'only eight [[the ones that were on Dusty in Memphis) of these 24 tracks have been on CD, and these singular sides highlight how the move to a more R&B sound at Atlantic [[also aided by producers Gamble & Huff and Jeff Barry with such players as The Memphis Boys and The Sweet Inspirations) brilliantly capitalized on the smoky tones of Dusty's mezzo-soprano to create some of the most potent blue-eyed soul ever recorded. Mastered by Mike Milchner from original tape sources, annotated by Joe Marchese, and featuring copious photos, The Complete Atlantic Singles 1968-1971 is an absolute must for any Dusty devotee or any soul fan to boot.

Tracklist
    TBA
    Name:  51P0Sr-BROL.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  37.5 KB
    This looks like a wonderful collection. I am surprised that so many of the singles mixes haven't made it onto cd previously. I don't know how radically different they are from the original albums, but i feel it my duty to support this release. Dusty is in my top 5 favorite female vocalists of all time and that beautifully distinctive voice never fails to move me.
    I was fortunate enough to meet Dusty briefly on two occasions and i was struck by her low self esteem and genuine shyness. I found it both endearing and quite sad. I just wish she could have found personal happiness and contentment. She really did not appreciate how good she was.
    Thanks for alerting me to this release.

Though lots of material I already have, listening to as 'singles' will be a nice experience so I plan on this one! Great notice, thanks.

Thanks guys!
    Blue: if you are a fan of Dusty you should try to get the Dusty in Memphis SACD or 2LP Analogue Productions ‎– APP 8214-45.
    Great sound especially the vinyl!Name:  R-3161253-1341686617-2104.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  53.4 KBName:  R-3161253-1341686612-1081.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  36.9 KB

Thanks guys!
    Blue: if you are a fan of Dusty you should try to get the Dusty in Memphis SACD or 2LP Analogue Productions ‎– APP 8214-45.
    Great sound especially the vinyl!Name:  R-3161253-1341686617-2104.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  53.4 KBName:  R-3161253-1341686612-1081.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  36.9 KB
    I do have the Memphis SACD which is quite wonderful as you say, but i do not have the vinyl.

Pre-ordered today from Real Gone for $12.98 + S&H. I also pre-ordered the CD of Norma Tanega's album "Walkin' My Cat Named Dog" [[$11.98 + S&H), which is scheduled for release the same day as Dusty's CD. Fitting.

Thanks guys!
    Great sound especially the vinyl!
    The recent 2 LP reissue of Dusty in Memphis by Run Out Groove also sounds fantastic. I will have to get these versions you mentioned sometime, and do a formal comparison. I've seen the Analogue Productions vinyl in the past, in one of our Canadian shops, for $70.

Hey Carlo: I did not know about the Run Out Groove version, but noticed its hard to get in Europe.
    The Analogue version I was lucky to find in a second hand vinyl shop in Amsterdam in great shape and at a nice price together with Nat King Cole's - Just One Of Those Things 2LP also on Analogue.
    Another great version of DIM I got last year was ths one:
    Name:  71Hk4MXRPGL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  88.4 KB

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa....610142/page-2

I'll keep an eye out for the Hybrid SACD at a good price, but for now I'll stick to my '99 Rhino. It's good enough. Sounds like the thing I dislike about it, the weird "telephony" vocals, is common to all releases and is baked into the original tapes. No sweat, I still love the record.

I suppose it's an intentional production decision, but overdone. I'm listening right now to Dusty's recording of "How Can I Be Sure?", and it's got a bit of the same pinched, sibilant vocal quality, though not so overdone. I think it's something they used to do to make stuff cut through on tinny AM radios. I remember reading somewhere how they would treat Diana Ross's vocals by sending a feed from her microphone to an EQ and removing all but the toppermost frequencies, then compressing it to death, then mixing it back with the untreated vocal. It's a distinctive sound, and I think I may hear it here, to

I rec’d both of my pre-orders yesterday. I have played both CDs once and just scanned through the well endowed booklets so far. Both releases maintain Real Gone’s reputation for high quality reissues in both sound and presentation. They look and sound great!

For me Dusty’s ‘Complete Atlantic Singles’ plays like a new CD of a double album released back in the day. Dusty is magnificent in mono, but then of course Dusty is magnificent period.

I knew the Norma Tanega album only by reputation and really enjoyed my first listen. Based primarily in roots folk music her style and approach are unique, eclectic and experimental. Not for everyone but definitely deserving of its’ enduring status as a cult classic. I love it.

I highly recommend both releases.

In case anyone is interested, Real Gone released a limited edition 2 LP red vinyl edition of this compilation for Black Friday Record Store Day last week. They pressed 3,000 copies. There are still some copies out there online and in stores, if you search. It's in a nice gatefold, with the same liner notes and photos from the CD booklet, replicated on the gatefold. My copy is on the way

I got this last on BFRSD: very expensive 2LP.