[REMOVE ADS]

Richard Street, Barbara Martin and Diana Ross

In Richard Street [[RIH) book and I am going on memory he mentions starting a group with Melvin Franklin [[RIH), Maceo and Barbara Martin [[RIH) and a Theodore Martin. Does anyone know if this is the same Barbara Martin that use to be a Supreme and if so what was the name of the group? Does anyone know this ? I remember him saying that they were about to enter high school so this would have put them around 15 years of age maybe. I guess Melvin, Richard and Otis are related and I hope Otis and Richard made peace with each other. Richard also goes on to say how much he was in love with Diana Ross during this time and how their love ended once high school started because Diana entered a different high school. He speaks very highly Ross and how she was basically a quiet girl and none of of these horror stories we have come to know. I am going to have to pull this book out again and re-read it because it seemed like one f the mot honest up front books when talking about the early days with the girls and of course the Tempts. This would also explain to me if Barbara was part of the early groups with Richard and Melvin how Barbara was found so quickly.

Yes it's the same Barbara. Mary mentions in her book that Barbara was suggested as a replacement for Betty because she had sung with Richard's group. Can't remember who Mary said suggested her.

I think it was Richard Morris

Being a superstar requires determination. We each have our faults, as well as a daily maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yes it's the same Barbara. Mary mentions in her book that Barbara was suggested as a replacement for Betty because she had sung with Richard's group. Can't remember who Mary said suggested her.
    Thanks RanRan, I really wish I knew the name of his group.

The name of the group was The Imperials. Barabra was the lead singer. I think Richard wrote two books. I read one of them. He also goes into specifics about his relationship with Diana Ross. I found the book interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    The name of the group was The Imperials. Barabra was the lead singer. I think Richard wrote two books. I read one of them. He also goes into specifics about his relationship with Diana Ross. I found the book interesting.
    Yes, it is a very good book and it appear up front and honest - sounds like Diana was his first love and hers too. Also, he speaks candidly about Otis.

As in Little Anthony and the Imperials ? Now how did I miss that ?

I didn't realize that Richard wrote an autobiography. I checked out out and it looks like it was an interview put to paper, like that book on Flo.

Richard's book has a little synopsis and mentions BARRY Gordy and [[?) Melvin Williams.

I think I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    As in Little Anthony and the Imperials ? Now how did I miss that ?
    Yes as in Little Anthony And The Imperials. Richard me

ntions he soon found out the name was being used

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I didn't realize that Richard wrote an autobiography. I checked out out and it looks like it was an interview put to paper, like that book on Flo.

Richard's book has a little synopsis and mentions BARRY Gordy and [[?) Melvin Williams.

I think I'll pass.

Just finished it and it was quick read and informative and I learned a few things from this book.