[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Duet on Natural Woman/Do Right Woman

Great performances--thanks!

This performance emphasises why Mary’s voice worked so well in a group setting. The combination of higher and lower pitched vocals provides variety and interest.
    Although not technically a duet “ We Should Be Closer Together” is a supreme example of this. Reaching further back, “Falling In Love With Love” also worked well due to the contrast in Diana and Mary’s voices.
    That aside, Mary certainly proves she can belt with the best of them.

Absolutely, Ollie!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    This performance emphasises why Mary’s voice worked so well in a group setting. The combination of higher and lower pitched vocals provides variety and interest.
    Although not technically a duet “ We Should Be Closer Together” is a supreme example of this. Reaching further back, “Falling In Love With Love” also worked well due to the contrast in Diana and Mary’s voices.
    That aside, Mary certainly proves she can belt with the best of them.
    I personally love Mary's voice, but honestly I always prefer groups over solo artists because sometimes hearing the same voice over and over singing a full CD is not as exciting hearing groups mix it up with a number of the group members singing lead such as the Temptations or in the rock world, Fleetwood Mac. I think that was Mary's thoughts that there should be sharing not only for each member to be out there but also the interplay on shared leads can be quite exciting and interesting. I really enjoyed listening to this performance. And, yes, Mary can belt with the best of them.

This is fine enough

Who is Anna Beaumont?

If Mary had been able to do this 20 years earlier, in 1970, she might have been able to have a solo career with some recording success; but 20 years after the breakup when she was 45 years old was way too late.

I really liked some of her Motown recordings with the Supremes but Mary definitely has a limited vocal range

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This is fine enough

Who is Anna Beaumont?

If Mary had been able to do this 20 years earlier, in 1970, she might have been able to have a solo career with some recording success; but 20 years after the breakup when she was 45 years old was way too late.

I really liked some of her Motown recordings with the Supremes but Mary definitely has a limited vocal range
    Well Tina Turner managed one of the greatest career comebacks at age 47, so it could be done. To be fair to Mary, l don’t think individually any one of the original Supremes would be lauded for their incredible vocal range. Other attributes yes, that one no.

All I can say is that singers like Sade, Roberta Flack and Gladys Knight have limited vocal ranges and they did very well for themselves. The average listener doesn't care if a singer can hit every note on earth. In fact, when I was younger I would play Supremes' stuff for my friends, and almost every time they liked Mary's songs over Scherrie's or Jean's. In fact, my friends, almost to a person, did not like the Mary Scherrie Susaye songs unless it was mostly Mary on lead. They felt the others were "screechy."