[REMOVE ADS]

Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good 7" single mix

realized that the final intl single was LINKYCFSG and the lp version MS&S was way too long for a 7" single.

searched on youtube and here's the single mix. it's a good sounding single - not overly different from lp other than edited shorter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgTh7vBy3QM

I loved the MSS album but wasn't crazy about this song. I liked it but didn't love it--mainly because it seemed a little generic, the lyrics, anyway. I much preferred Wheel, Dream Machine, Come Into My Life and especially We Should Be Closer Together.

I thought this was going to be the next single if mary stayed

I like it a lot, but something prevents me from loving it as well, Bobby. Is the overall sound too frantic? . The sound seems sped up , and the energy is so relentless , by the end of it , I'm exhausted. Perhaps too much is crammed into a three minute song. Missing an ebb and flow.

Orchestration is delightful. Flute was very popular in earliest disco but I think its prominence here at the time of its release gives it that dated feel.

Starts out with the Gloria Gaynor gallop but overall its a pretty unique disco product. ....

I hear a similarity :

Hi Boogie--I'm not really sure why it doesn't grab me. I think maybe it just seems like a generic, but pretty good, disco song. The other songs on MSS, well most of them, held up IMO for home listening, but LINKYCFSG seems made for clubs--and any generic dance artist could have done it.

Scherrie's vocals, as per usual, were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I loved the MSS album but wasn't crazy about this song. I liked it but didn't love it--mainly because it seemed a little generic, the lyrics, anyway. I much preferred Wheel, Dream Machine, Come Into My Life and especially We Should Be Closer Together.
    Agree, this was always my least favourite song from the MS&S album. It’s just not that special to my ears.The three songs you mention we’re always my faves.
    Regarding hits from the album, with decent promotion I think “Don’t Want To Be Tied Down” had massive potential to be a pop and dance floor pleaser.

I always liked it. but IMO the true hit on MS&S was Let Yourself Go. That should have been the lead single.

as for 2nd single, i'm not sure. Tied Down isn't my fav track but it certainly seems popular with the fans. and i've come to enjoy it more in recent years.

Or would it have been time to push the girls into new territory and release Sweet Dream Machine as a single? the intro is nearly 1:00 long so if you trim that down and then fade out around 4:15, you have a 3 min long single which could have worked.

Sweet Dream, Come into my life, we should be closer and HE from the previous album all had a much different sound for the group. it's a sound i like but not the more formulaic disco

If Walking had really gone up the charts [[like it should have) and then they released LYG [[which would also chart well IMO), i think the group would have been re-established enough to then release Dream Machine. something totally new, fresh and exciting

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I always liked it. but IMO the true hit on MS&S was Let Yourself Go. That should have been the lead single.

as for 2nd single, i'm not sure. Tied Down isn't my fav track but it certainly seems popular with the fans. and i've come to enjoy it more in recent years.

Or would it have been time to push the girls into new territory and release Sweet Dream Machine as a single? the intro is nearly 1:00 long so if you trim that down and then fade out around 4:15, you have a 3 min long single which could have worked.

Sweet Dream, Come into my life, we should be closer and HE from the previous album all had a much different sound for the group. it's a sound i like but not the more formulaic disco

If Walking had really gone up the charts [[like it should have) and then they released LYG [[which would also chart well IMO), i think the group would have been re-established enough to then release Dream Machine. something totally new, fresh and exciting
    Agree. If they could only have scored with that allusive hit single it might have established their new sound with joe public and paved the way for future hits.
    The material was most certainly strong enough and worthy of such success. It might well have happened had “LYG” been the lead single from MS&S......Who knows.
    I always consider this superb album a little ahead of its time.

I mentioned this thread to a friend who was a DJ for a radio station in Buffalo NY when this song was out. He never heard of it, but said he probably wouldn't have added it because the title was "too long." He explained that in the 70's, a DJ's show might sound impromptu or unstaged but they were anything but. He said a single that was over 3 1/2 minutes, or had a title with more than a couple words in it, took up too much time and messed up the sequence of commercials. It's amazing to me that a fantastic song could be completely rejected just because of the title being long.

I liked every song but come into my life....
    Driving wheel was ok.

I'm noticing LINKYCFSG [[wow that is a long title) was arranged by Greg Carmichael , the secret ingredient to the success of The Commodores and Lionel Richie, in fact this looks like one of his last projects before devoting himself to them. He also arranged I'M GONNA LET MY HEART DO THE WALKING.

He is well versed in complex arrangements like FOREVER CAME TODAY by the J5, and maybe he saw The Supremes as his chance to go full throttle since The Commodores were a toning down for him to a more guitar band sound rather than full orchestration.

Maybe he found inclusion of the flute added a little frill , a more feminine touch to his Supremes arranging as opposed to the harder edge he assigned to The Temptations with songs like GLASS HOUSE.

Also maybe the flute just appealed to him as a sound to be played with :

yes I'm fixated on that flute lol! [[ not a typical tool of the Motown sound , would we agree. ......TEARS OF A CLOWN comes to mind ...)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-12-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Rocking Robin and Got to Be There were two of the first singles I ever had as a kid. Michael's voice was clear as a bell when most kids his age could barely sing in tune. What an amazing talent.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I mentioned this thread to a friend who was a DJ for a radio station in Buffalo NY when this song was out. He never heard of it, but said he probably wouldn't have added it because the title was "too long." He explained that in the 70's, a DJ's show might sound impromptu or unstaged but they were anything but. He said a single that was over 3 1/2 minutes, or had a title with more than a couple words in it, took up too much time and messed up the sequence of commercials. It's amazing to me that a fantastic song could be completely rejected just because of the title being long.
    My group of Motown friends and I always joked about Motown's tendency to have long titles, especially with parentheses. Too bad they didn't do that for this song: Love I Never Knew [[You Could Feel So Good). That would have given DJs an easier time of it. However, I don't think this song is [[or was) radio friendly - just too frenetic. Let Yourself Go and Heart Do The Walking - just realized that maybe the long title was why Heart didn't hit bigger - although both are high energy they didn't come across sounding as boisterous. I think Tied Down would have been a better release from this album, other than LYG.

interesting about the title issue and problems with DJs.

i also remember fans saying that songs with too short of intros had a hard time winning DJs over too. not able to do a proper intro or use with commercials.

i remember this comment coming up with the four tops I'm In A Different World. i love that song but it bombed. someone speculated the intro might have been part of the problem. plus it probably just wasn't cutting edge enough by the time it was released. maybe they should have released it a year earlier

I don't hate the song....but it seems it would have fit better on the more generic '75 LP. [[I cannot stand hot mess This Is Why I Believe...and I even like He Belongs There)

I never thought there was a Single Edit. The you tube post picture says it was a demo 3.38.
    The UK only 7" on discogs does not list length of track:
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes...elease/4282247

Could it possibly be the last track any the recent 3 CD compilations, Baby Love - Essential: https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...elease/9729402
    or Essential: https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...lease/15739259
    Anybody know?

I never thought there was a Single Edit. The you tube post picture says it was a demo 3.38.

Could it possibly be the last track any the recent 3 CD compilations, Baby Love - Essential: https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-T...elease/9729402
    Unlikely. Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post

Anybody know?
    i'm guessing here but i'm assuming the demo version and the released 45 version are the same.

Is this UK single edit available anywhere on an imported CD?