[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes "Silver Bells" versus Doris Day's version

Doris Day released her Christmas Album in Sept 1964 and it featured "Silver Bells".

The Supremes Christmas Album was released in November 1965 and it featured "Silver Bells".
    Diana Ross' vocal styling on "Silver Bells" sounds similiar to Doris Day's version. Any thoughts?

Why was The Supremes Christmas Album released so late in the holiday season. Most people start Christmas Shopping directly after September's Labor Day.
    The Doris Day holiday album was released at an appropriate time for maximum potential sales volume. Any thoughts?

No thoughts on Diana/Doris. But the Supremes didn't begin recording their album until late summer, starting at the end of August and continuing through September. Keep in mind mid 1965 is about when the group's schedule began to get busier than ever before. They had the Copa at the end of July and into August, and then a tour of Europe that fall. I imagine "I Hear A Symphony" was a priority because the Supremes hadn't had a #1 hit since "Back In My Arms Again" back in the spring. The goal was to always record an album of the Copa performances, so it may have been a last minute thought, "Hey, why not capitalize on the girls' success with a Christmas album?" and thus we have two Supremes albums released on the same day, which makes absolutely no sense, yet surprisingly proved pretty successful.

I really don't think the label, Gordy included, was prepared for the force that the Supremes had become. The ladies probably made more money for Motown in one year than the label had in it's entire existence. [[Pure conjecture on my part.) So Gordy and company were probably always brainstorming ideas on how to best capitalize on the success. A holiday album made all the sense, better late than never.

I do think had someone managed to talk Gordy out of the idea, since the Copa album was firmly in place, a 1966 Christmas album would've been better. I do like the original album mostly as is. Diana turns in some fine vocal performances. The Andantes sound wonderful on most of the tracks. [[Not convinced that Mary, and especially Florence, aren't mixed in on some of these, but the truth or false of that doesn't detract from the album at all.) I'm not wild about the LA backing tracks. The Funks were so incredible that to my ears most anything cut anywhere else at Motown will always pale in comparison, although the track to "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town", "Twinkle" and "Little Bright Star" are exceptional within the album, IMO. But I just think in the timeline of the group's evolving sound, summer/fall 1966 recording of a Christmas album would've been even better.

I do love Doris, and her 'Silver Bells' is lovely, but for my money the Supremes version is the best version ever. Every note and second just perfect!

I just listened to Doris' version for the first time. It is pretty good but that's not a surprise. I might even prefer Doris' version if only because I like its tempo more than that on the Supremes' version.

Re the Supremes' Xmas album, I think Diana's vocals are great. They sound rather angelic, perfect for a holiday album. That particular angelic vocal quality, IMO, wouldn't surface a lot as the decade wore on, except on maybe WITH A CHILD'S HEART and parts of THE YOUNG FOLKS.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I do love Doris, and her 'Silver Bells' is lovely, but for my money the Supremes version is the best version ever. Every note and second just perfect!
    Doris did do a fine version as did many other artists. I have a soft spot for the song because it was a festive favorite of a dearly departed and much missed member of my family whom i always think of when i hear it. For me both the Supremes and Doris Day versions are amongst the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Doris Day released her Christmas Album in Sept 1964 and it featured "Silver Bells".

The Supremes Christmas Album was released in November 1965 and it featured "Silver Bells".
    Diana Ross' vocal styling on "Silver Bells" sounds similiar to Doris Day's version. Any thoughts?

Why was The Supremes Christmas Album released so late in the holiday season. Most people start Christmas Shopping directly after September's Labor Day.
    The Doris Day holiday album was released at an appropriate time for maximum potential sales volume. Any thoughts?
    i disagree about the timing. 50 years ago stores weren't hauling out Xmas crap and decorations in late October. there wasn't a concept of "Black Friday" either.

The album was released on Nov 1, in plenty of time to have lots of copies produced and shipped to the stores. also they could have worked with distributors and stores on special displays and arrangements.

so i think the timing was appropriate for the era

The Supremes' version of "Silver Bells" is number #1 in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i disagree about the timing. 50 years ago stores weren't hauling out Xmas crap and decorations in late October. there wasn't a concept of "Black Friday" either.

The album was released on Nov 1, in plenty of time to have lots of copies produced and shipped to the stores. also they could have worked with distributors and stores on special displays and arrangements.

so i think the timing was appropriate for the era
    The Supremes' version is my favorite Christmas Song!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    No thoughts on Diana/Doris. But the Supremes didn't begin recording their album until late summer, starting at the end of August and continuing through September. Keep in mind mid 1965 is about when the group's schedule began to get busier than ever before. They had the Copa at the end of July and into August, and then a tour of Europe that fall. I imagine "I Hear A Symphony" was a priority because the Supremes hadn't had a #1 hit since "Back In My Arms Again" back in the spring. The goal was to always record an album of the Copa performances, so it may have been a last minute thought, "Hey, why not capitalize on the girls' success with a Christmas album?" and thus we have two Supremes albums released on the same day, which makes absolutely no sense, yet surprisingly proved pretty successful.

I really don't think the label, Gordy included, was prepared for the force that the Supremes had become. The ladies probably made more money for Motown in one year than the label had in it's entire existence. [[Pure conjecture on my part.) So Gordy and company were probably always brainstorming ideas on how to best capitalize on the success. A holiday album made all the sense, better late than never.

I do think had someone managed to talk Gordy out of the idea, since the Copa album was firmly in place, a 1966 Christmas album would've been better. I do like the original album mostly as is. Diana turns in some fine vocal performances. The Andantes sound wonderful on most of the tracks. [[Not convinced that Mary, and especially Florence, aren't mixed in on some of these, but the truth or false of that doesn't detract from the album at all.) I'm not wild about the LA backing tracks. The Funks were so incredible that to my ears most anything cut anywhere else at Motown will always pale in comparison, although the track to "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town", "Twinkle" and "Little Bright Star" are exceptional within the album, IMO. But I just think in the timeline of the group's evolving sound, summer/fall 1966 recording of a Christmas album would've been even better.
    Ran which tracks do you think Mary and Flo are mixed in on? I feel the same way about a few songs and am curious if its the same songs that I think.

i'm pretty sure they're not on the backing tracks. the records aren't 100% complete so i could be wrong.

9/1 bg vocals recorded for Twinkle Twinkle, Little Bright Star and Joy to the World
    9/9 bg recut for Little Bright Star and bg vocals recorded for born of mary, rudolph, santa is coming, my favorite things
    9/13 White Xmas
    9/16 children christmas, little drummer, my christmas tree, silent night
    9/21 silver bells

the data we have doesn't show [[other than Little Bright Star) that they had multiple sessions for bg recordings. maybe some of the data is incomplete but seems to me it's a No. the EE booklet says the exact recording dates for lead and bg is missing for Just a Lonely Christmas and Oh Little Town of B

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Ran which tracks do you think Mary and Flo are mixed in on? I feel the same way about a few songs and am curious if its the same songs that I think.
    I'd have to go through every track- which of course, I have no time to do at the moment- but the ones that immediately come to mind are "Santa" and "Lonely Christmas". I swear I hear Flo in there somewhere.

Yeah I definitely always heard Flo and even Mary buried in those voices on "Santa Claus Is Coming...". And "Born of Mary" and "Rudolph".