[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 81
  1. #1

    Singers who have totally vanished

    Claudine "Party Lights" Clark-also a talented musician. I read she did some gospel in the 80's; Yvonne Baker-lives in NY and refuses to discuss her past. Others?

  2. #2
    Ruby of Ruby and the Romantics
    Bettye Swann
    Ella Washington
    Jean Wells

  3. #3
    Ruby Nash, last I heard, worked at a Goodwill store in Barberton, Ohio. Didn't Claudine Clark end up teaching music?

  4. #4
    Claudine lived in Atlanta, GA, but I have no idea where she is. Sadly, her label couldn't follow-up the hit and she could've
    had a promising career. She actually wrote "Party Lights", which was intended as the "B" side of "Disappointed".
    Her lp had too many songs with the "Party" title, but her follow-up singles sounded nothing like the hit.
    "Walkin' Through The Cemetary" was one.

    I think I remember hearing that Ruby Nash said she had lost her singing voice. I am certain over the years she has been
    encouraged to work the circuit. They did have quite a few big hits.

  5. #5
    I do believe Ruby has appeared on PBS without the Romantics. I imagine Claudine did pretty well with the royalties-that song has had a long life.

  6. #6
    Funny, I was just wondering what happened to Color Me Badd! Does any know(or care) what happened to them?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Funny, I was just wondering what happened to Color Me Badd! Does any know(or care) what happened to them?
    I can't remember any of their names. But the tall one married Tamyra Gray of AMERICAN IDOL fame a few years back. I think he may be working as a writer/producer now.

    The lead singer fell on hard times for a bit. He got married, fathered some children, and gained a lot of weight. The last time I saw him he was on a VH1 reality series that put together members of various disbanded groups, and combined them for another shot at fame.

  8. #8
    I interviewed Ruby back in the summer of '08 for A Touch of Classic Soul.

    Much of what has been written about the group is erroneous. i.e. there was never a second set of Romantics. Marv Goldberg cleared up a lot of things when he interviewed her several months before I did (thank God). She's still living in Akron and is doing fine. All but one of the Romantics is deceased, and the one still living has cancer. She had no interest in getting back out here on the nostalgia circuit without her original singing partners.

    Also, I'm happy to say that contrary to published reports, she gets royalties twice a year from "Our Day Will Come" and other songs.

    Marc Taylor

  9. #9
    Dear Marc, that is wonderful to hear! They were an excellent group! My favorite: Young Wings Can Fly (Higher Than You Know).

  10. #10
    Marc-didnt she do a PBS show?

  11. #11
    I think she did mention PBS having to twist her arm to do one of their shows (I'll have to dig up the tape of the interview to verify), but that was it.

    Someone in Vegas did an interview with Bettye Swaan back in 2005. If you enter her name into Wikipedia, there is a link to it.

  12. #12
    Great thread Luke!

    What ever happened to Rockie Robbins? "He had some nice R&B hits in the late 70's, early 80's
    Chuck Cissel ("Cisslin' Hot")
    Sheila E.
    Apollonia
    Brenda Jones (of the Jones Girls)
    Christopher Williams ("New Jack City" and "I'm Dreamin'")
    Junior ("Mama Used to Say")
    O'Bryan (early 80's artist)
    Whodini
    Michael Henderson & Rena Scott (although I heard Michael is still performing)
    Honey Cone (Edna Wright, Carolyn Willis and the other girl)
    Sybil
    Loose Ends
    Soul II Soul
    Glodean White
    Chuck E. Booker
    Vesta Williams

  13. #13
    Sheila E still tours and toured with Prince recently.
    Apollonia still lives in California.
    Vanity has a ministry.
    Christopher Williams was touring in some of those urban or gospel plays that tour the black theater circuit.
    Chuckii Booker still works as a music/band conductor. He toured with Janet for one tour.
    Chuck Cissel was the head of some jazz music association in the west somewhere.
    Vesta Williams still tours.
    Where is Inez Foxx, Leroy Hutson, Linda Williams and Pennye Ford?
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 04-13-2011 at 06:30 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Great thread Luke!

    What ever happened to Rockie Robbins? "He had some nice R&B hits in the late 70's, early 80's
    Chuck Cissel ("Cisslin' Hot")
    Sheila E.
    Apollonia
    Brenda Jones (of the Jones Girls)
    Christopher Williams ("New Jack City" and "I'm Dreamin'")
    Junior ("Mama Used to Say")
    O'Bryan (early 80's artist)
    Whodini
    Michael Henderson & Rena Scott (although I heard Michael is still performing)
    Honey Cone (Edna Wright, Carolyn Willis and the other girl)
    Sybil
    Loose Ends
    Soul II Soul
    Glodean White
    Chuck E. Booker
    Vesta Williams
    Edna Wright of Honeycone is still out there kicking it...looking and sounding good with 2 new members. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccT7kKspuwQ
    Don't know what Carolyn Willis is up to these days. Shelly, the 'other girl' is in entertainment management arena and does some work with Earth, Wind and Fire, as she's married to one of the members.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Sheila E still tours and toured with Prince recently.
    Apollonia still lives in California.
    Vanity has a ministry.
    Christopher Williams was touring in some of those urban or gospel plays that tour the black theater circuit.
    Chuckii Booker still works as a music/band conductor. He toured with Janet for one tour.
    Chuck Cissel was the head of some jazz music association in the west somewhere.
    Vesta Williams still tours.
    Where is Inez Foxx, Leroy Hutson, Linda Williams and Pennye Ford?
    Thank you for that follow up information.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Edna Wright of Honeycone is still out there kicking it...looking and sounding good with 2 new members. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccT7kKspuwQ
    Don't know what Carolyn Willis is up to these days. Shelly, the 'other girl' is in entertainment management arena and does some work with Earth, Wind and Fire, as she's married to one of the members.

    Thank you as well. I could not remember Shellie Clark's name when I posted.

  17. #17
    Whatever happened to these singers:

    Kenny Loggins
    Samantha Sang
    Eugene Wilde
    Taania Gardner
    Gwen McCrae
    Leo Sayer
    Just about everybody that was in the "USA for Africa" video "We Are the World"! LOL
    Terrence Trent D'Arby
    Lisa Lisa (of Cult Jam)
    Jean Carn
    Deborah & Eloise Laws

  18. #18
    Jean Carn still performs-I believe she is in England doing a benefit for David Gest and she sang and appeared at Philly Intl PBS show.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Jean Carn still performs-I believe she is in England doing a benefit for David Gest and she sang and appeared at Philly Intl PBS show.
    Great! That was my girl. I still have a couple of her albums.

  20. #20
    Lisa Lisa still tours, she's really big on the gay pride festival circuit, along with Chaka and Jennifer Holiday and Martha Wash.

  21. #21
    Although I think most of the artists are still around, I absolutely LOVED the quality of the music that the Ichiban label put out in the 80s and 90s, and I hated it when it folded. Trudy Lynn's stuff for them was fantastic, Francine Reed and Sandra Hall were great blueswomen, and even Millie Jackson put out a couple of decent albums for them.

  22. #22
    I've noticed that many of the "whatever happened to" artists listed above are on Facebook.

    Brenda Jones
    O'Bryan
    Michael Henderson
    rena Scott
    Sybil
    Jane Eugene & Carl McIntosh of Loose Ends
    vesta
    Pennye Ford
    Eugene Wilde
    Gwen McCrae
    Lisa Lisa
    Jean Carn

  23. #23
    Glodean is doing well in California and into motorcycles!

  24. #24
    Goldean was just interviewed for an up coming reality show about artists who never really made it big.

  25. #25
    Wow i'm really glad to hear that ruby nash is doing well,i heard that she had passed,i'm sorry to hear about the romantics what a great group they were!

  26. #26
    Gwen McRae stil works. I think the guy who manges Marva Whitney over in Europe manages her too. I do believe she still
    lives in Florida.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,640
    I've always wondered where's Karyn White, Chris Walker, Gabrielle Goodman, The System, Marc Dorsey, Keith John

  28. #28
    Cool! Keep us updated, brother love.


    Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    Goldean was just interviewed for an up coming reality show about artists who never really made it big.

  29. #29
    Thanks Marv. brother love-any more info about that show? Isnt Pebbles into the management end of things? We should each take some of these names and research--will check out Karyn W.

  30. #30
    Per Wikipedia Karyn made album that was shelved in 2006; runs real estate and interior design business in California; left music to start family; was supposed to sing at Soul Train Awards in 2009 in tribute to LA Reid and Babyface but they truned down the tribute and it was cancelled!! Does anyone know about this??

  31. #31
    Marv2 was asking about Kenny Loggins. He's still touring. Last year he came through here (Wenatchee, WA) with Jim Messina and put on a terrific show. As an aside, every so often Jim and Poco get together. THAT's a show I'd really like to see....

  32. #32
    uptight Guest
    Watching Prince perform on last night's George Lopez Show, it looks like Sheila E. might be part of Prince's 21 Nights in L.A. this month.

  33. #33
    O'Bryan is a family man...but was talking new music about 18 months ago.
    Vesta has/had an AM Drive radio show& still performs.
    Pennye Ford was doing dates with Klyymax in 2010
    Dera Laws often performs with brother Hubert.
    Eloise Laws is quite active around L.A.
    Leroy Hutson is BACK ! He has a new (2010) release available on his website.
    Chuckii works as an MD. Seen him The Isleys H know he worked with Janet
    Junior is still quite active inthe UK
    Sheila E and The E Family Band (brothers & dad) just dropped a NEW CD. I saw them live recently and they played tracks from it. Killer stuff...just don't expect another" Glamorous Life". Think in terms of more cerebral and more spiritual....

  34. #34
    O'Bryan is a family man...but was talking new music about 18 months ago.
    Vesta has/had an AM Drive radio show& still performs.
    Pennye Ford was doing dates with Klyymax in 2010
    Dera Laws often performs with brother Hubert.
    Eloise Laws is quite active around L.A.
    Leroy Hutson is BACK ! He has a new (2010) release available on his website.
    Chuckii works as an MD. Seen him The Isleys H know he worked with Janet
    Junior is still quite active inthe UK
    Sheila E and The E Family Band (brothers & dad) just dropped a NEW CD. I saw them live recently and they played tracks from it. Killer stuff...just don't expect another" Glamorous Life". Think in terms of more cerebral and more spiritual....
    Last edited by 1wicked; 04-16-2011 at 03:18 PM.

  35. #35
    Where are :

    Maxine Nightingale
    SWV
    Melissa Manchester
    Neneh Cherry
    Eagle-Eye Cherry
    Lonnie Gordon
    Shaggy
    En Vogue
    Liz Torres

  36. #36
    I said hello to Neneh Cherry last week. She was visiting her daughter who lives in a flat in the same house as one of my cousins.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I said hello to Neneh Cherry last week. She was visiting her daughter who lives in a flat in the same house as one of my cousins.
    Cool, if you see her again tell that she's missed by all her fans.

  38. #38
    Thanks Doug and 1Wicked.

    Neneh Cherry, that was my girl! The last I had heard of her musically was "I've Got You Under My Skin" back in early 90's.

    How about James Ingram or Belinda Carlise....anyone?

  39. #39
    SWV and EnVogue still perform regularly.
    Maxine Nightingale is on Facebook
    James Ingram had a gospel CD out two years ago and still has a website.

  40. #40

    Update

    Can't recall who asked:

    Leo Sayer
    He appeared on the Big Brother here in the UK either last year or the year before. Obnoxious individual! Anyway, he lives in Australia.

    Belinda Carlisle
    She continues to perform, and I'm going to see her early in July.

    Pennye Ford
    She has an album reissued on CD very, very shortly.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Where are :

    Maxine Nightingale
    SWV
    Melissa Manchester
    Neneh Cherry
    Eagle-Eye Cherry
    Lonnie Gordon
    Shaggy
    En Vogue
    Liz Torres
    In regards to your question about Melissa Manchester:http://lakesideohio.com/events/main/event/643

  42. #42
    One of the singers I wondered about , Junior ("Mama Use to Say") has turned up. Here he is performing on Friday, April 15, 2011 in London. Not to be mean (I really don't intend to), but age has not been kind to him. He and I are about the same age, but he looks close my Uncle John's age and he is 74 years old!


  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    One of the singers I wondered about , Junior ("Mama Use to Say") has turned up. Here he is performing on Friday, April 15, 2011 in London. Not to be mean (I really don't intend to), but age has not been kind to him. He and I are about the same age, but he looks close my Uncle John's age and he is 74 years old!

    But he sounds very good

  44. #44
    Liz Torres has worked steady since 1969, more recently she was in Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, and was a regular on Gilmore Girls. She's shooting a movie now.

  45. #45
    Anybody heard from Deborah Cox?

  46. #46
    smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Lisa Lisa still tours, she's really big on the gay pride festival circuit, along with Chaka and Jennifer Holiday and Martha Wash.
    Lisa Lisa also has a career going in the Salsa music field.

  47. #47
    smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mellow_q View Post
    SWV and EnVogue still perform regularly.
    Maxine Nightingale is on Facebook
    James Ingram had a gospel CD out two years ago and still has a website.
    One of the members of SWV was a contestant on Survivor a couple of years ago.

  48. #48
    smark21 Guest
    What ever became of Cherrelle, Pebbles and Karyn White?

  49. #49
    Loose Ends was in Chicago over the weekend. I wish I could have been there.
    This coming Saturday, we have a concert featuring the following bands :

    Lakeside
    Sugarfoot's Ohio Players
    Bar-Kays
    B.T. Express (I didn't even know they were still active as a band)

  50. #50
    Chidrummer and fans of Deborah Cox

    http://www.deborahcox.com/Splash/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.