[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick asks Chance the Rapper a pertinent question

Dionne's question to Chance in a tweet was interesting and his reply was respectful. He was even amazed that she knew him. Her reply to his reply gave me a chuckle.

Who knows? Dionne has recorded with many artists before. Maybe she will someday record with a rapper.

She already picked her new rap name.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny...5ei-story.html

Fun and welcome post! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Dionne's question to Chance in a tweet was interesting and his reply was respectful. He was even amazed that she knew him. Her reply to his reply gave me a chuckle.

Who knows? Dionne has recorded with many artists before. Maybe she will someday record with a rapper.

She already picked her new rap name.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny...5ei-story.html
    It was a very nice exchange. Cute story about her question to the Weeknd as well.

BTW: In 1998, Dionne did a new version of WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE with a whole group of rappers and singers under the name of Hip-Hop Nation United. It was her last charted single.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It was a very nice exchange. Cute story about her question to the Weeknd as well.

BTW: In 1998, Dionne did a new version of WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE with a whole group of rappers and singers under the name of Hip-Hop Nation United. It was her last charted single.
    Wow I forgot all about that - probably because I'm not a fan of rap. Evidently, Dionne- who is of my generation - is a fan. I think her son produced this, or was involved in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Wow I forgot all about that - probably because I'm not a fan of rap. Evidently, Dionne- who is of my generation - is a fan. I think her son produced this, or was involved in some way.

She is most certainly not a fan of rap. She is trying to drum up some publicity.
    She has been rather outspoken about rap music in the past. She will be taking advice from her son.
    Having said that this was a fun exchange and gave me a chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She is most certainly not a fan of rap. She is trying to drum up some publicity.
    She has been rather outspoken about rap music in the past. She will be taking advice from her son.
    Having said that this was a fun exchange and gave me a chuckle.
    You're right. I remember a "Domepiece" article featuring her in Vibe magazine from the '90s in which she ranted about how much she hated hip hop [["Snoop Snoop Doggy Doggy Doo-Doo or whatever his name is"). The title of the piece had me rolling--"Psychic Enemy." This exchange was a refreshing surprise that brought big smiles to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    You're right. I remember a "Domepiece" article featuring her in Vibe magazine from the '90s in which she ranted about how much she hated hip hop [["Snoop Snoop Doggy Doggy Doo-Doo or whatever his name is"). The title of the piece had me rolling--"Psychic Enemy." This exchange was a refreshing surprise that brought big smiles to my face.
    I recall her colorful language when asked back in the late 90's what she thought about rap music in general!

Seems these recent tweets about Rappers and Pro-LGBTQ+ Tweets are not directly from Dionne, but from her niece, who is her ghost poster and has a great sense of humor.

This Is Who's Behind Dionne Warwick's Pro-LGBTQ+ Tweets
    Dionne Warwick's niece has taken over her twitter account and we love it.
    The singer's ghost-poster also happens to have a great sense of humor.

BY DONALD PADGETT
    DECEMBER 07 2020 2:55 PM EST

The Twitter account of singer and longtime ally Dionne Warwick has been exploding lately with an outpouring of support for the LGBTQ+ community, as well as some hilarious trolling of celebrities who can’t spell. Earlier today 79-yeard-old star of “Walk on By” and “Do You Know the Way to San Jose” fame admitted to Andy Cohen’s Radio Andy on SiriusXM that while she is fully onboard with everything posted, she wasn’t the one actually tweeting.

“My niece Brittani is a hysterical person, she’s funny as all get out,” Warwick revealed. “I told her she should have been a comedian.”

While her Twitter account made headlines over the weekend with its skewering of The Weeknd and Chance the Rapper, it also had been expressing support for the LGBTQ+ community in recent days and reminding fans of Warwick’s longtime commitment to the cause.

Baga Chipz of Drag Race UK fame was one of many who praised the post.

Warwick was an ally in the early days of HIV and one of the first to talk publicly about the crisis. Back in 1986, she famously raised $3 million for research and education with the cover of the 1982 song “That’s What Friends Are For” with Sir Elton John, Stevie Wonder, and Gladys Knight. The single became a massive hit and won Grammy Awards for Song of the Year and Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals.

In 1987, President Ronald Reagan appointed the singer as an honorary ambassador of health. The idea was to help spread awareness about HIV, but Reagan refused to say the word AIDS in any of their private discussions together. She got the last laugh at their press conference announcing her appointment.

“I said our president was benevolent enough to make me an Ambassador of Health,” Warwick recalled for People last year. “And I asked him ‘President Reagan, what is that disease you’re talking about?’ He had no choice but to say AIDS.”

Warwick indicated she will let her niece continue posting to her social media, partly because she doesn’t “know anything about that” but also because she was happy with Brittani’s postings.

“She has a wonderful way with words,” Warwick told Cohen.

Full story and her recent tweets are here
    https://www.out.com/celebs/2020/12/0...o-lgbtq-tweets

Funny that she would admit that. Just yesterday I saw a video she posted where she addressed this very topic, about was it really her posting or not. She basically said yes, and people need to get over it.

Generally it seems to me that when heritage artists comment negatively on more contemporary artists the heritage artists just come off as somewhat out-of-date and jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Generally it seems to me that when heritage artists comment negatively on more contemporary artists the heritage artists just come off as somewhat out-of-date and jealous.
    I can agree with that but only up to a point. From both the sides of fans and of artists there is absolutely nothing wrong with any one expressing a feeling of nostalgia about
    the days when what was called Soul or R&B featured plenty of flat foot singing, solo
    and in group harmony backed by real instrumentation. People who grew up loving that
    are under no orders to just stop just besides it's not the dominant style today. It's also a
    bit hypocritical of some artist to dismiss the legacy of earlier people and champion acts
    who built their careers on those that came before them. Another funny thing is that youtube is full of comments by younger viewers on old school posts expressing a liking
    for the music and even discussing styles and techniques. The best bet for older generation artist to me seems to be avoid media fights and if you still have your chops
    only take them where you can still be appreciated. Forget about throwing shade, leave that up to the fans on the net. Forget about trying to bully in relevance...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I can agree with that but only up to a point. From both the sides of fans and of artists there is absolutely nothing wrong with any one expressing a feeling of nostalgia about
    the days when what was called Soul or R&B featured plenty of flat foot singing, solo
    and in group harmony backed by real instrumentation. People who grew up loving that
    are under no orders to just stop just besides it's not the dominant style today. It's also a
    bit hypocritical of some artist to dismiss the legacy of earlier people and champion acts
    who built their careers on those that came before them. Another funny thing is that youtube is full of comments by younger viewers on old school posts expressing a liking
    for the music and even discussing styles and techniques. The best bet for older generation artist to me seems to be avoid media fights and if you still have your chops
    only take them where you can still be appreciated. Forget about throwing shade, leave that up to the fans on the net. Forget about trying to bully in relevance...
    I always refer back to the early 60's when the established singers mocked the folk movement, then the folk folks mocked r&b/top 40, and the American standards artists mocked the British movement, etc. etc. Both Tony Bennett & Sinatra made negative comments about the Beatles then ended up recording their songs. "If you can't say anything nice ...' Just my opinion. I'm more impressed when Tina Turner, Stevie Nicks and others express support for younger artists.

Their youth is not is not really at all what disappoints me about so much of today's crop
    of contemporary "artists". This is why I listen well outside American popular music. I like
    dozens of young singers and musicians but they're not American Idol contestants...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    A lot to chew on there.

I too liked Splanky's post. If an artist has true confidence in their talent and their style, then they should sing and record whatever they want and let others do the same and the public will decide what they like best. Take a varied group of artists such as Barry Manilow, Dolly Parton, Julio Iglesias, and The Oak Ridge Boys. You either like or hate everything they do out of loyalty or you might like the occasional song, all of which is well and good.

They did an SLN sketch last night on Dionne's current tweets and her feud with Wendy Williams

The rollout of Dionne’s Twitter debut has been brilliant.