[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    Diana and Hal Davis really liked Summertime Livin' while recording it. I don't know what happened with that one but at the time they thought they had a big hit.
    For the first few years of owning the diana80 expanded when it first came out, I usually skipped past "Summertime". At some point I let it play one day and heard it with different ears than I did the first time I heard it. Loved it. Absolutely love it. I'm with Diana and Hal on this one and believe in it's hit potential. It's fun, danceable. I wonder if what we have of the song is the intended finished product or were there plans to do some extra tweaking to it [[or is there an alternate mix in waiting?). I think adding some backing vocals and a couple other little tweaks here and there, releasing this in maybe late spring and it would've gone at least top 10, IMO.

Any corporation imagining that hoarding any of this guarded material at this point in order for the big pay-off in the future is kidding themselves. That ship has long sailed away and the interested population in this music diminishes every passing moment.

How about tapping into the spirit of giving by sharing the stuff so that it stops being wasted and gets out there to those that would appreciate it ! ....donate the slim proceeds to fighting homelessness or helping aging recording artists in need [[ Cindy Birdsong?) or whatever beneficial use they can come up with. Sitting on this stuff because "its ours and you can't have it" is serving no purpose.

What does it take

a huge warehouse fire that'll permanently wipe this music off the planet to learn a lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    For the first few years of owning the diana80 expanded when it first came out, I usually skipped past "Summertime". At some point I let it play one day and heard it with different ears than I did the first time I heard it. Loved it. Absolutely love it. I'm with Diana and Hal on this one and believe in it's hit potential. It's fun, danceable. I wonder if what we have of the song is the intended finished product or were there plans to do some extra tweaking to it [[or is there an alternate mix in waiting?). I think adding some backing vocals and a couple other little tweaks here and there, releasing this in maybe late spring and it would've gone at least top 10, IMO.
    Same here, RanRan! I think I played it twice when I bought the expanded album, then forgot about it. I'm liking it a lot now. Great fun and energy on the track and Diana's vocal. Thanks to George and this forum and thread.

I notice it was written by Kenneth Stover, who also wrote Lovin', Livin', Givin'. I know you don't care for that one, but I love the hell out of the Ross'78 version. I love Diana's tone and phrasing on it. Poignant vocals on a disco track!

Until I looked at the credits, I thought Summertime Livin' was an atypically fast Nile Rodgers/Bernard Edwards out-take for the diana album.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    There's a projected track list for an expanded Ross 78. I know there's a lot of hope for this one and I think it can be a good collection but personally I'd like to first see a physical Baby It's Me.
    I've heard the same as everyone else about the Ross track list. I know when they were being recorded Mr Gordy was very excited about the Brian Holland songs. I heard there was a legal reason why they weren't used at the time but I don't have any facts. Side note on this: When the first Diana CD Anthology was compiled, "Old Flame" was on disc 2 after "My Old Piano." We were told to take it off and replace it with "My Man." The reason given was Mr Gordy didn't like the mix of "Old Flame."
    Diana and Hal Davis really liked Summertime Livin' while recording it. I don't know what happened with that one but at the time they thought they had a big hit.
    Diana chose the Ross 78 cover. She talked about it in an interview. I think 1976 Andy Warhol?
    At the time of release she spoke fondly of the album to fans even mentioning the "new version" of Reach Out I'll Be There. And as mentioned before, she was performing "Lovin, Livin & Givin, To Love Again and You Were The One in concert.
    No big news but that's what I know!
    I loved the digital release of Baby it’s me but was disappointed it wasn’t a physical release. I agree George, would love BIM as a physical release with extra material.

The lyrics are awful and cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I loved the digital release of Baby it’s me but was disappointed it wasn’t a physical release. I agree George, would love BIM as a physical release with extra material.
    if there is actually true extra [[and original) material, then yes. let's get it out in some way or form.

I've sort of enjoyed the "2020" mixes or whatever year the projects came out in but not so much that i can justify skipping or not including original tracks. like on A Go Go, it was fine and all to hear that Shake Me Wake Me duet but we've never received a full, unedited You Can't Hurry Love with the original vocals as opposed to the L&F vocal. this version was the reel to reel release.

as for BIM, i'd be surprised if there was more content in the vault to justify a release in physical format, other than to just have it on a cd. but willing to be surprised and corrected if there is. maybe there are more vocal takes they can use, which would be wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post

Is it just me, or is there a bit of pitch enhancing on Summertime? To me it sounds like Diana’s vocal [[and maybe the track) has been sped up. The song definitely caught my ear as one with potential, but I can’t get past my pitch theory. Any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I notice it was written by Kenneth Stover, who also wrote Lovin', Livin', Givin'. I know you don't care for that one, but I love the hell out of the Ross'78 version. I love Diana's tone and phrasing on it. Poignant vocals on a disco track!
    I first hear Livin', Lovin' Givin' on the Thank God It's Friday soundtrack and I did not like it at all. When it showed up on the Ross album in a different mix, I loved it. It just shows how much a mix can affect a song.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    Is it just me, or is there a bit of pitch enhancing on Summertime? To me it sounds like Diana’s vocal [[and maybe the track) has been sped up. The song definitely caught my ear as one with potential, but I can’t get past my pitch theory. Any opinions?
    Either that or Diana is singing in a very high key. She’s a little to Minnie Mouse sounding for me. Personally I think the song bloody awful and not worthy of her.
    It might/could possibly have sounded a ‘tad better if slowed down a smidgeon........Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    if there is actually true extra [[and original) material, then yes. let's get it out in some way or form.

I've sort of enjoyed the "2020" mixes or whatever year the projects came out in but not so much that i can justify skipping or not including original tracks. like on A Go Go, it was fine and all to hear that Shake Me Wake Me duet but we've never received a full, unedited You Can't Hurry Love with the original vocals as opposed to the L&F vocal. this version was the reel to reel release.

as for BIM, i'd be surprised if there was more content in the vault to justify a release in physical format, other than to just have it on a cd. but willing to be surprised and corrected if there is. maybe there are more vocal takes they can use, which would be wonderful
    I remember before the digital release of BMI. It was first announced as an upcoming release on the back of another expanded edition. It was originally going to be a double CD. So I believe we didn’t get everything with the digital release. I sure hope so.

if there's more content in the vaults, i'm always happy to get it. whatever format they can get it released on, i'm fine with.

"You Were The One" is an underated disco classic! Should have been realised as a single and Motown 12 inch disc.