[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Young Folks

The Young Folks

Don't know why this one was given a B side and not it's own A side, especially after it became the group's only charting B side. I think if the producers punched up the track, sped it up a bit, and recut Diana's vocal [[I think Mary and Cindy's backing would've worked better, personally), and then released it instead of "The Composer", or after it charted as a B side and made the changes I recommend, it had potential to be a big hit single. Number one? Maybe, but definitely top 10. The events of the time, and the role that young people were playing in it, just seems like folks would've really gotten into it.

Anyway, thoughts on this one? Surprised it rarely made any compilations, considering it did chart.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Don't know why this one was given a B side and not it's own A side, especially after it became the group's only charting B side. I think if the producers punched up the track, sped it up a bit, and recut Diana's vocal [[I think Mary and Cindy's backing would've worked better, personally), and then released it instead of "The Composer", or after it charted as a B side and made the changes I recommend, it had potential to be a big hit single. Number one? Maybe, but definitely top 10. The events of the time, and the role that young people were playing in it, just seems like folks would've really gotten into it.

Anyway, thoughts on this one? Surprised it rarely made any compilations, considering it did chart.

Agree that if sped up a ‘tad it would sound far more commercial. It certainly doesn’t scream hit to me, and i’m sure it’s popularity must have taken Motown by surprise. It’s very much of its time of course and fits perfectly with those message songs of the late 60’s. It really is a who knows situation.
    I certainly consider it a better song then “The Composer” and definitely think it would have charted higher had it been released as the A side. Not convinced about top ten though.

i could agree that the song had potential. it was completed in Jan 69 after Shame was already released. i think 3 "social" songs in a row might have been a bit much for the fans to take. It would be one thing if the group had rebranded and packaged itself as 'sisters fighting for the cause' and pushing social justice and all. But the same time that we got LC, Shame and these other songs, the Sups were glitzier than ever on TCB, at the Waldorf, etc.

as for the song itself, it's ok. i don't really listen to it much though. the basic lyric and story line are fine. but most of the production is lackluster IMO. so you would have had to pretty much start over from scratch with entirely new band tracks and all.

At the time, this caused a bit of a stir. However, if it had hit potential it was because it fit the times. Beyond that, I think it needed quite a lot of work.

instead of Composer [[and i'd even skip Shame), i'd have released Evening Train after LC. that's just an excellent track. it's serious, dark, soulful, dramatic like LC but isn't patronizing [[like Shame was).

Composer is a very weak song. You also had the age-old motown problem of flooding the market

Shame was released 1/6
    I'll try something new 2/20
    Composer 3/27
    Sign 5/9

I'm not a huge fan of I'll Try but that's just personal taste. i would still call it a strong recording. They could have just focused on that and not released Composer at all or any other tune. Evening Train could have been released in Dec or Jan, then I'll Try in March. Done

as a follow up to Train, i think Discover Me works. it's dramatic, exciting. good vocals. not the most magical song the girls ever did but a good one

other candidates might have been I'm So Glad I Got Somebody or maybe You're Gonna Hear From Me.

When "No Matter What Sign" underperformed, Motown flipped the single. They issued "The Young Folks" to Dj's on red vinyl with it on the A and B side. Billboard reviewed it as a new single. It was reviewed in other trades as well. Then it charted. As everyone knows, they were trying hard for final hit for Diana Ross & The Supremes. It's hard to tell what is going to catch on. Fortunately "Someday" saved the day.

I always found it interesting that the Supremes are singing about the young generation [[as if they weren't part of it) "THEY're marching with signs, THEY're standing in lines," while the version of the Jackson 5 is sung from the perspective of the young generation: "WE're marching with signs, WE're standing in lines."

I always liked the song.....fun song

I always thought that there was a hit record in that weak Production. The background vocal arrangement is just terrible, it needed to have a more gospel sound like someday - but the last people I would’ve used is Mary and Cindy hot… They just didn’t work well unaugmented on radio. The main problem though is the chorus: “yeah yeah yeah… No no no “is as cornball as cornball can be And sounded sophomoric in 1969. Still, As you suggest, this record would have found a home on playlists if it had just been finished properly. I’d have brought Deke Richards in to redo the background vocals, punch up the lyrics and the production. No one at Motown was better with background arrangements than he.

The Composer Sounded all right on the radio, not killer but it sounded OK and I think it would’ve gone top 20 maybe to 15 or so if it had not been pulled in order to make room for no matter what sign you are.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i could agree that the song had potential. it was completed in Jan 69 after Shame was already released. i think 3 "social" songs in a row might have been a bit much for the fans to take. It would be one thing if the group had rebranded and packaged itself as 'sisters fighting for the cause' and pushing social justice and all. But the same time that we got LC, Shame and these other songs, the Sups were glitzier than ever on TCB, at the Waldorf, etc.

as for the song itself, it's ok. i don't really listen to it much though. the basic lyric and story line are fine. but most of the production is lackluster IMO. so you would have had to pretty much start over from scratch with entirely new band tracks and all.
    I don’t know if you were around back then or not, but nobody gave a damn about how glitzy The Supremes were or if they were doing message songs or songs about Martians or anything else, A hit record is a hit record. If it’s a great record like love child it doesn’t matter what kind of record it is it’s going to sell 2 million copies because it’s a great record and if it’s follow-ups were also great records they would’ve sold 2 million copies as well. Motown was used to skating by with a lot of mediocre records that still charted in the top 40 with acts like Martha, Marvin, Marvelettes, Gladys, Tempts and, finally, unhappily, The Supremes.

‘Folks listening to the radio back then as they drove around or not analyzing if that record fit the image of the group or if it was too similar to the last record they put out or anything else all they cared about was did it push that pressure button in their head that makes them wanna run out and buy it. That’s all that ever mattered.

i’m living in shame came out well The Supremes had to platinum singles on the charts and automatically got heavy duty AirPlay and still it barely squeaked into the top 10.

i’ll try something new was a great album cut, but too many people could not understand eddies lyrics And that’s a death knell for any record. with a little bit of help, that could’ve gotten top 10. However I still would’ve put out the impossible dream for TCB as the follow up.

The Young Folks, version 2, had potential. Easy to be hard, and get together got a ton of play they were just better records

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    When "No Matter What Sign" underperformed, Motown flipped the single. They issued "The Young Folks" to Dj's on red vinyl with it on the A and B side. Billboard reviewed it as a new single. It was reviewed in other trades as well. Then it charted. As everyone knows, they were trying hard for final hit for Diana Ross & The Supremes. It's hard to tell what is going to catch on. Fortunately "Someday" saved the day.
    Hey Mr. George! Any idea what was Plan B if "Someday" didn't catch? Surely they weren't going to send Diana out on her own with a #30 or #60 chart hit. Is the rumor that "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" was a "sequel" to SOMEDAY [[and the next possible Supremes release) true?

instead of Composer [[and i'd even skip Shame), i'd have released Evening Train after LC. that's just an excellent track. it's serious, dark, soulful, dramatic like LC but isn't patronizing [[like Shame was).

Composer is a very weak song. You also had the age-old motown problem of flooding the market

Shame was released 1/6
    I'll try something new 2/20
    Composer 3/27
    Sign 5/9

I'm not a huge fan of I'll Try but that's just personal taste. i would still call it a strong recording. They could have just focused on that and not released Composer at all or any other tune. Evening Train could have been released in Dec or Jan, then I'll Try in March. Done

as a follow up to Train, i think Discover Me works. it's dramatic, exciting. good vocals. not the most magical song the girls ever did but a good one

other candidates might have been I'm So Glad I Got Somebody or maybe You're Gonna Hear From Me.
    Three different sounds, three different producers. After "Love Child", the countdown was on for Diana to get the hit and swan song. "Shame" hit top 10, then COMPOSER and SIGN came along and threw everyone for a loop, charting among some of the worst Supremes singles. Did the Supremes even ever perform COMPOSER?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Three different sounds, three different producers. After "Love Child", the countdown was on for Diana to get the hit and swan song. "Shame" hit top 10, then COMPOSER and SIGN came along and threw everyone for a loop, charting among some of the worst Supremes singles. Did the Supremes even ever perform COMPOSER?
    I saw The Supremes 5 times in August and September 1969. They did not sing Composer or Sign. When asked to sing The Young Folks Diana replied something, although I don't recall what she said I assume it was about not rehearsing it etc.

They always seemed to be unprepared to sing their latest singles unless they went to #1. In February 1966 they didn't sing My World, ironically it became a staple in their concerts for years. In April 1968 they didn't sing Forever Came Today. Those are just a couple of omissions that stood out to me, mostly because they were their newest releases at the time. Even years later Diana hardly promoted songs from a new or upcoming album. In 1978 she, surprisingly, sang one or two from Ross 78. But in 1979 there wasn't even a hint of her upcoming The Boss album or single which was released about 3 weeks after I saw her concert.

I think Composer and Sign were released in an attempt to give Smokey and Berry an opportunity to get a hit on the group before they split. None of the releases, singles or albums, released in 1969 were worthy of the group. Individual songs were good, and I certainly have my favorites, but overall they were lackluster.

The Love Child album is superb and should have been their last studio album. Several of the songs would have charted as well as, or better than, any of the three released in 1969. I have recently come to think that even Honey Bee, which I've always loved, could have made Top 10 with it's bouncy style. It's as light as Composer and Sign. It is similar to The Happening and would have caught the ear of a wider range of listeners than either of the other releases.

I never heard Sign or The Composer on the radio.Thanks to Youtube I've heard both songs many times and to be perfectly frank I couldn't hum either one of them if you paid me--that's how forgettable they were. To my ears they weren't even acceptable as album filler. I am shocked that Berry Gordy put them out in the first place. Especially when you compare these weak songs to Where Did Our Love Go or Stop In the Name of Love.

I think Plan B is speculation by everyone. There's an unreleased mono mix of "Shadows Of Society." Would they have tried that? It's well known that "Someday" only has Diana's name on the tape box. Even "No Matter What Sign" only has Diana Ross on the tape box. I think Someday We'll Be Together was just a natural hit. It's pretty amazing how that all worked out with it being the last number one for "the Supremes" and also the last number one of the sixties. Not to mention still a huge record when they made their last appearance.
    Wish I Knew [[no pun intended) but I don't have a real answer.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    The Love Child album is superb and should have been their last studio album. Several of the songs would have charted as well as, or better than, any of the three released in 1969. I have recently come to think that even Honey Bee, which I've always loved, could have made Top 10 with it's bouncy style. It's as light as Composer and Sign. It is similar to The Happening and would have caught the ear of a wider range of listeners than either of the other releases.
    I agree in that the Love Child album was choc full of potential hit singles. Why such a high quality album wasn’t plundered for single releases i will never understand. ‘Let The Sunshine In’ always seemed a pointless release to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t know if you were around back then or not, but nobody gave a damn about how glitzy The Supremes were or if they were doing message songs or songs about Martians or anything else, A hit record is a hit record. If it’s a great record like love child it doesn’t matter what kind of record it is it’s going to sell 2 million copies because it’s a great record and if it’s follow-ups were also great records they would’ve sold 2 million copies as well. Motown was used to skating by with a lot of mediocre records that still charted in the top 40 with acts like Martha, Marvin, Marvelettes, Gladys, Tempts and, finally, unhappily, The Supremes.

‘Folks listening to the radio back then as they drove around or not analyzing if that record fit the image of the group or if it was too similar to the last record they put out or anything else all they cared about was did it push that pressure button in their head that makes them wanna run out and buy it. That’s all that ever mattered.

i’m living in shame came out well The Supremes had to platinum singles on the charts and automatically got heavy duty AirPlay and still it barely squeaked into the top 10.

i’ll try something new was a great album cut, but too many people could not understand eddies lyrics And that’s a death knell for any record. with a little bit of help, that could’ve gotten top 10. However I still would’ve put out the impossible dream for TCB as the follow up.

The Young Folks, version 2, had potential. Easy to be hard, and get together got a ton of play they were just better records
    yeah i get it and am probably analyzing it too much. LC is just an excellent record regardless of anything else. it well deserved every accolade it received

i was just looking at the overall career during this time. if all of their recorded output or their singles had shifted to heavy conscientious material yet they were still in designer sequin outfits, i wonder if there might have been pushback. The girls were already starting to get some grief from the black community of being too white. would this have helped or hindered? not sure. again might be thinking about it too much lolol

I do think though that they could have successfully pulled off a full LC lp that was more thematic and focused around serious and/or social songs. I like most of the tunes on the LC album but IMO it's very disjointed. you have that whole first section of 4 tunes on Side A that are heavy and then into things like Honey Bee and Sunny Boy. i just find it a glaring shift.

i've made up some playlists trying to "be producer" and pull together a real LC lp. problem is most of the tracks i can use aren't real great. lol they needed to go cut a few more stronger songs but hey. it's fun to play around

I think Plan B is speculation by everyone. There's an unreleased mono mix of "Shadows Of Society." Would they have tried that? It's well known that "Someday" only has Diana's name on the tape box. Even "No Matter What Sign" only has Diana Ross on the tape box. I think Someday We'll Be Together was just a natural hit. It's pretty amazing how that all worked out with it being the last number one for "the Supremes" and also the last number one of the sixties. Not to mention still a huge record when they made their last appearance.
    well i think sentimentality was never a high priority back in the day at Motown. it was a business and Berry was focused on Diana's future.

i would speculate if Composer had gone Top 10, they might have pulled the trigger and pulled her out. And we know that was the case with Sign. i don't know if they HAD to go to #1. of course that made a nice, clean, happy closing chapter to the group.

Also it's my understanding that, outside of the concept albums like Sam Cooke and FG, they weren't necessarily recording material for a specific project. rather they were simply creating inventory on an artist. It wouldn't be a shock if, had they not used it as a Sup single in 69 that Sign could have eventually found it's way onto a DR solo album. It wasn't recorded as a Supremes' song and it wasn't recorded as a track for Sunshine album. it was just one of the many songs DR was recording at the time and they'd figure it all out later

at least that's how i see it

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I agree in that the Love Child album was choc full of potential hit singles. Why such a high quality album wasn’t plundered for single releases i will never understand. ‘Let The Sunshine In’ always seemed a pointless release to me.
    i agree that many of the songs on LC are strong performances but i find the album to be disjointed between the first four songs and then the rest.

with Sunshine and Cream, many of the songs are strong but again. the album lineup is all over the place. if you take all of the tracks and put them into "inventory" and assemble things differently, you can come up with much strong lp concepts. I would also cut many of the covers but that's more going from today's perspective. apparently at the time, that was the thing to do.

it's quite possible to compile albums such as:

Reflections - DRATS do the CA sound, focusing on Sunshine Pop [[which centered on the LA scene) and San Fran/psychedelic soul

LC - a mature, serious album focusing on the important current issues and a more mature look at love

Sunshine - two options here, a typical but strong pop album or even a Smokey produced album

Cream - tackling music with a more adult sensibility and maturity. it's not teen girls pining away any more for their Baby Love. it's women singing Stormy, Someday, the look of love, till johnny comes, etc.

while they still use a wide variety of producers, there's at least a more cohesive approach to the sounds and songs

i agree that many of the songs on LC are strong performances but i find the album to be disjointed between the first four songs and then the rest.

with Sunshine and Cream, many of the songs are strong but again. the album lineup is all over the place. if you take all of the tracks and put them into "inventory" and assemble things differently, you can come up with much strong lp concepts. I would also cut many of the covers but that's more going from today's perspective. apparently at the time, that was the thing to do.

it's quite possible to compile albums such as:

Reflections - DRATS do the CA sound, focusing on Sunshine Pop [[which centered on the LA scene) and San Fran/psychedelic soul

LC - a mature, serious album focusing on the important current issues and a more mature look at love

Sunshine - two options here, a typical but strong pop album or even a Smokey produced album

Cream - tackling music with a more adult sensibility and maturity. it's not teen girls pining away any more for their Baby Love. it's women singing Stormy, Someday, the look of love, till johnny comes, etc.

while they still use a wide variety of producers, there's at least a more cohesive approach to the sounds and songs
    The thing being, would the casual record buyer of 68 have wanted a complete album by DR & Supremes choc full of socially relevant songs, focussed on cultural issues?. I’m not so sure.
    The thing that makes the “Love Child” album a little disjointed at times is the sequencing of the songs. While I think it a good idea to have a little light and shade, placing “Honey Bee”” right after “Does Your Mama Know About Me” is a little jarring.
    I consider Love Child a superb album packed with potential hits. “Evening Train”, “I’ll Set You Free”, “Can’t Shake Loose” etc etc. Why bother with LTSI.
    Out of curiosity sup, what available songs would you have included on the Love Child album and in which order.

Thats an interesting one to ponder George. I actually think “Shadows Of Society” might have been very well received in 69. It would most certainly have matched the flower power vibe of the time. Its a shame it wasn't recorded for for the Love Child album.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 12-06-2020 at 07:40 AM.

The thing being, would the casual record buyer of 68 have wanted a complete album by DR & Supremes choc full of socially relevant songs, focussed on cultural issues?. I’m not so sure.
    The thing that makes the “Love Child” album a little disjointed at times is the sequencing of the songs. While I think it a good idea to have a little light and shade, placing “Honey Bee”” right after “Does Your Mama Know About Me” is a little jarring.
    I consider Love Child a superb album packed with potential hits. “Evening Train”, “I’ll Set You Free”, “Can’t Shake Loose” etc etc. Why bother with LTSI.
    Out of curiosity sup, what available songs would you have included on the Love Child album and in which order.
    I'm also not so sure about a "choc full" of social relevance DRATS album in 1968. Love Child and Does Your Mama Know About Me? were perfect.

Honey Bee is[[was) a bit jarring, even on first listen to the album. I would have preferred I'll Set You Free on side 1. Honey Bee would have complemented Don't Break These Chains of Love, Can't Shake It Loose and You've Been So Wonderful to Me on Side 2.

Love Child is one of my favorite Supremes albums. It should have been mined for follow-up singles. I've always thought Evening Train and Keep An Eye had hit potential.

I've gone through the tracks that were recorded at the time and did a playlist using only material available for when the LC album was actually released. Songs like Young Folks, Shame and Shadows of Society weren't completed yet so aren't on it. I might have fudged slightly with one or two of the tracks.

It wasn't only "social" songs on the list but also just deeper, darker, more serious tracks.

LC
    Keep an eye
    how long train gone
    in the evening of our love
    can't you see it's me
    the beginning of the end of love
    what the world needs now

with i knew
    does your mama know
    ain't no sun
    what becomes of the broken hearted
    if you should walk away

i also redid Reflections which then freed up some tracks for a "serious" LC album. and then redid Cream and Sunshine too.

I don't think this is necessarily a GREAT album. i go really like most of the actual LC tracks. but again, the order and sequencing is off. In Randy's recent Diana book, George notes that motown was exploring a serious album but then changed the idea. so i tried to figure out what might have been on it. I do think if they were going to do this album, some new tracks would be needed that fit the theme but are stronger than what i included.

at one point i had MacArthur park on here. also tried to squeeze Everyday People or Western Union Man but they girls hadn't recorded it yet. that would have at least added some spark . Maybe Nitty Gritty.

i don't think every song needs to be morose and depressing. but things like Some Things You Never and He's My Sunny Boy are a bit too lightweight and fluffy.

I like the song a lot, but then I tend to like George Gordy/ Allen Story compositions.

I've gone through the tracks that were recorded at the time and did a playlist using only material available for when the LC album was actually released. Songs like Young Folks, Shame and Shadows of Society weren't completed yet so aren't on it. I might have fudged slightly with one or two of the tracks.

It wasn't only "social" songs on the list but also just deeper, darker, more serious tracks.

LC
    Keep an eye
    how long train gone
    in the evening of our love
    can't you see it's me
    what the world needs now

with i knew
    does your mama know
    ain't no sun
    what becomes of the broken hearted
    if you should walk away

i also redid Reflections which then freed up some tracks for a "serious" LC album. and then redid Cream and Sunshine too.

I don't think this is necessarily a GREAT album. i go really like most of the actual LC tracks. but again, the order and sequencing is off. In Randy's recent Diana book, George notes that motown was exploring a serious album but then changed the idea. so i tried to figure out what might have been on it. I do think if they were going to do this album, some new tracks would be needed that fit the theme but are stronger than what i included.

at one point i had MacArthur park on here. also tried to squeeze Everyday People or Western Union Man but they girls hadn't recorded it yet. that would have at least added some spark . Maybe Nitty Gritty.

i don't think every song needs to be morose and depressing. but things like Some Things You Never and He's My Sunny Boy are a bit too lightweight and fluffy.
    Can’t say i’m so in love with this line up sup. “What The World Needs Now” and “What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted”......Really!!. “In The Evening Of Our Love” sounds just as poppy as “Honey Bee” to my ears. I also think the key is cut to high making Diana sound strained. “Broken Hearted” just sounds lacklustre.
    Can’t believe you left off “Cant Shake It Loose “....A terrific song and vocal.
    For me, the Love Child album is perfect as it is. The only thing i would change is to have “Honey Bee” on side 2.
    We all have differing ideas as to which songs constitute the perfect album, but i think for the most part Motown got it right with this one.

I always thought and still think that Shadows of Society feels unfinished and should have given a final mix. To me it still sounds like a demo.
    I love "You gave me love" from their last album. Especially the intro with the drums joining and the andantes [[correct me if I'm wrong lol).
    Also like "loving you is sweeter" but how would that have performed on the charts? Guess not very good with the teens and younger listeners in the late 60's.

Can’t say i’m so in love with this line up sup. “What The World Needs Now” and “What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted”......Really!!. “In The Evening Of Our Love” sounds just as poppy as “Honey Bee” to my ears. I also think the key is cut to high making Diana sound strained. “Broken Hearted” just sounds lacklustre.
    For me, the Love Child album is perfect as it is. The only thing i would change is to have “Honey Bee” on side 2.
    We all have differing ideas as to which songs constitute the perfect album, but i think for the most part Motown got it right with this one.
    I think I'll set you free and can't shake it loose also fit on the album. I only don't like honey Bee and would replace it with Wish I knew. What the world is not to my liking either and skip it when I listen to the Reflections LP. I don't even like it that much when Dionne sings is. And I only listen to Jimmy Ruffin's version of Broken Hearted. The Supremes version is not bad but the background singers and instrumental track on Jimmy's version are way better. The Supremes version is dull. Sorry just my opinion.

I'll set you free is probably one of the better songs with both Mary in Cindy blending in the background. When I listen to the Album version the instrumental track only seems to come out the right speaker/headphone and the track sounds a bit weaker but the the version from the lost and found sounds better and fuller.
    Last edited by TYK1986; 12-06-2020 at 05:21 PM.

lol now be sure to read all of my post carefully. i agree some of these songs weren't the best and if they really had wanted to do a "Serious" album, hopefully they would have recorded some more new material.

I was just trying to fill 12 songs onto an album that fit the theme. agree it sort of gets to slim pickings

again i like pretty much all of the songs on the original LC album but songs like LC, Evening Train and Keep an eye are an amazing new sound for the girls. so much more mature and substantial than earlier work. a wonderful progression and development.

Songs like Honey Bee and the others are great too but in a more pop album context perhaps.

lol now be sure to read all of my post carefully. i agree some of these songs weren't the best and if they really had wanted to do a "Serious" album, hopefully they would have recorded some more new material.

I was just trying to fill 12 songs onto an album that fit the theme. agree it sort of gets to slim pickings

again i like pretty much all of the songs on the original LC album but songs like LC, Evening Train and Keep an eye are an amazing new sound for the girls. so much more mature and substantial than earlier work. a wonderful progression and development.

Songs like Honey Bee and the others are great too but in a more pop album context perhaps.
    I kind of equate what happened with the superb Love Child album with the release of Surrender. Both were highly commercial albums, packed to the rafters with potential hit singles that were ignored. Way to go Motown.

of the 12 LC tunes, i think SOME might have been hits.

LC - obviously lolol

Keep an eye - this presents some interesting possibilities. it's a very strong song. but would it sell? i'm not sure as a single. I do think radio would have enjoyed playing it.

evening train - yes. this should have been the LC follow up

does your mama - maybe. i'm not a huge fan of the song [[rarely listen to it) but recognize it's beautifully produced and diana's vocals are passionate. had it not already just been released, this could have been a hit for the girls

honey bee - no. it's a fun song but not at all possible for a single. too hokey

some things - shouldn't have been released as a single

he's my sunny boy - my favorite thing about this song is that it's actually DMC singing and just them. so you can appreciate the group and their sound. but the lyrics are some of the most idiotic

you've been wonderful - this is an excellent album track. but not sure about as a single. maybe.

chains of love - DRATS do S&M lolol not a single though

you ain't living - excellent track but already released as a duet

i'll set you free - this is a strong song and definitely could have been released as a single

can't shake loose - another strong song and possible single contender

here are the LC songs that were ready at or prior to Some Things You Never Get Used To. which would you have released instead? and excluding any songs on Reflections that might have been released after Forever

Am I asking too much
    a little breeze
    when it's to the top
    honey bee
    if you should walk away
    believe in me
    the beginning of the end
    the nitty gritty
    will this be the day
    you've been so wonderful to me
    sweet thing
    he's my sunny boy

I've always thought live child was a strong set but I also would have tweaked about two songs ..one being Sunny boy.....
    Let the sunshine in. Only songs I liked are no matter what sign u are and let the music play.the rest was throw away minus ....discover me and glad I got somebody...I would have added to cream of the crop

here are the LC songs that were ready at or prior to Some Things You Never Get Used To. which would you have released instead? and excluding any songs on Reflections that might have been released after Forever

Am I asking too much
    a little breeze
    when it's to the top
    honey bee
    if you should walk away
    believe in me
    the beginning of the end
    the nitty gritty
    will this be the day
    sweet thing
    he's my sunny boy
    It's a difficult one. I like some of the songs as album fillers but definitely non, of the songs listed, as single release. Despite that some don't like Some things you never get used to, I'd still prefer that song to the ones listed. I think the Supremes suffered from having too many different songwriters writing songs for them. Also too many covers, which somehow did work for the A gogo LP. The same in '72 with the Promises Kept session. But thats for another thread.

of the 12 LC tunes, i think SOME might have been hits.

does your mama - maybe. i'm not a huge fan of the song [[rarely listen to it) but recognize it's beautifully produced and diana's vocals are passionate. had it not already just been released, this could have been a hit for the girls
    I think Does Your Mama by Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers was largely an R&B hit. I had never heard the song or knew of Bobby Taylor when I got the Love Child album for Christmas in 1968. I personally think it could have been a hit for DRATS on Top 40 radio, connecting the song with a Pop audience. If tweaked or "worked on" a bit, I can imagine it as a follow-up to Love Child, continuing the social relevance theme.

But I still think Evening Train should have been the follow-up for Love Child. I would have then followed Evening Train with a double A-side Keep An Eye/Does Your Mama. I think that would have better served the artistic legacy of DRATS than all the singles Motown did release in 1969 [[with the exception of Someday We'll Be Together).

I actually really like Sup's idea of a "message" type album. I read his post and immediately went to work on what my idea my look like.

Side A

1) Love Child
    2) Keep An Eye
    3) Does Your Mama Know About Me
    4) Together We Stand [[originally done by Marvin Gaye; the lyrics are written in a way that, even though the purpose is probably to present Marvin making a case to his lady that they stay together, also can be interpreted inspirationally)
    5) Abraham, Martin and John [[as done by Marvin)
    6) Life Can Be Beautiful If We Make It That Way [[as done by Blinky)

Side B

1) I'm Livin In Shame
    2) Forget Me Not [[the Martha and Vandellas cut)
    3) Shadows Of Society
    4) One World [[as done by Bobby Taylor and the Vs)
    5) The Young Folks
    6) May His Love Shine Forever [[originally done by Syreeta)

I also considered "With A Child's Heart", "Blowin In the Wind", "MacArthur Park" and Stevie Wonder's version of "God Bless the Child".

The Supremes released Funny Girl in August, which apparently died a quick death. The first duet album came in November, followed by Love Child album days later. I think the first duet album should've been allowed to stand alone for awhile. The first single was blowing up, not to mention "Love Child" was a huge hit that basically took the Supremes through the entirety of the fall season. TCB comes out in December, another hit album. That's two hit albums, and two major singles, carrying the Supremes through a whole season. Release [[gulp) "Shame" end of December/early January and then the Love Child album in February, hence the inclusion of some of the tracks not recorded in time for the original release of the LC album. At this point the album includes two major hit singles, and either "Shadows" or "Young Folks" contenders for a third single.

Spinning the Supremes into a socially conscious direction for at least one album could have proved a huge success. After the noise of it died down, take the best of the original LC album tracks, combine with the best of Sunshine and Crop, and I think DRATS would have had a classic final studio album. Release maybe two singles from the album before the final single in "Someday" and the post HDH Supremes discography might've been more successful than what actually occurred.

Am I asking too much
    a little breeze
    when it's to the top
    honey bee
    if you should walk away
    believe in me
    the beginning of the end
    the nitty gritty
    will this be the day
    sweet thing
    he's my sunny boy
    I think "Am I Asking Too Much", with a tweak, namely the backing during the verses, and "You've Been So Wonderful To Me" might have performed better than "Somethings" as a single.

I actually really like Sup's idea of a "message" type album. I read his post and immediately went to work on what my idea my look like.

Side A

1) Love Child
    2) Keep An Eye
    3) Does Your Mama Know About Me
    4) Together We Stand [[originally done by Marvin Gaye; the lyrics are written in a way that, even though the purpose is probably to present Marvin making a case to his lady that they stay together, also can be interpreted inspirationally)
    5) Abraham, Martin and John [[as done by Marvin)
    6) Life Can Be Beautiful If We Make It That Way [[as done by Blinky)

Side B

1) I'm Livin In Shame
    2) Forget Me Not [[the Martha and Vandellas cut)
    3) Shadows Of Society
    4) One World [[as done by Bobby Taylor and the Vs)
    5) The Young Folks
    6) May His Love Shine Forever [[originally done by Syreeta)

I also considered "With A Child's Heart", "Blowin In the Wind", "MacArthur Park" and Stevie Wonder's version of "God Bless the Child".

The Supremes released Funny Girl in August, which apparently died a quick death. The first duet album came in November, followed by Love Child album days later. I think the first duet album should've been allowed to stand alone for awhile. The first single was blowing up, not to mention "Love Child" was a huge hit that basically took the Supremes through the entirety of the fall season. TCB comes out in December, another hit album. That's two hit albums, and two major singles, carrying the Supremes through a whole season. Release [[gulp) "Shame" end of December/early January and then the Love Child album in February, hence the inclusion of some of the tracks not recorded in time for the original release of the LC album. At this point the album includes two major hit singles, and either "Shadows" or "Young Folks" contenders for a third single.

Spinning the Supremes into a socially conscious direction for at least one album could have proved a huge success. After the noise of it died down, take the best of the original LC album tracks, combine with the best of Sunshine and Crop, and I think DRATS would have had a classic final studio album. Release maybe two singles from the album before the final single in "Someday" and the post HDH Supremes discography might've been more successful than what actually occurred.
    like your additions. the problem with my listing is the album gets too depressing and bogged down. that's why i included a few of the unfinished things from L&F like Ain't No Sun. the title still carries that heavier, serious feeling but at least the sound offer some variety

i think your suggestions for other songs is good. that's one of the elements that makes Marvin's What's Going On so successful is that he explores a variety of serious, heavy and somewhat depressing topics but the variety of productions and styles keeps the album inviting and interesting

Interesting idea about With A Child's Heart. hadn't thought of that one at all. I might play around with that one.

MacArthur Park was another one i considered. i sometimes go back and re-edit my playlists. MP has been in and out of my LC playlist. might see about retooling it a bit

like your additions. the problem with my listing is the album gets too depressing and bogged down. that's why i included a few of the unfinished things from L&F like Ain't No Sun. the title still carries that heavier, serious feeling but at least the sound offer some variety

i think your suggestions for other songs is good. that's one of the elements that makes Marvin's What's Going On so successful is that he explores a variety of serious, heavy and somewhat depressing topics but the variety of productions and styles keeps the album inviting and interesting

Interesting idea about With A Child's Heart. hadn't thought of that one at all. I might play around with that one.

MacArthur Park was another one i considered. i sometimes go back and re-edit my playlists. MP has been in and out of my LC playlist. might see about retooling it a bit
    Yeah, messaging doesn't have to equal depressing and dark. Lol

With Martha's "Forget Me Not" being a hit in the UK but buried as a B side in the States, had Diana recorded it for this proposed project, I think it might have made a good single. I love Martha's as is.

"With A Child's Heart" is one of my favorite songs, period. Love all the versions. The problem with Diana's version is that the song has that trademark 1966 Motown Sound and might sound a bit random with the newer sound of 1968. I've always thought it a very weird inclusion on Sunshine for this very reason. Why they reached back into 1966 for cuts for Sunshine and Crop when there were more recent tracks to choose from will forever be a mystery until these folks start talking. But I really do love Diana's "With A Child's Heart".

Personally amazed at all the love for The Young Folks - it just plods along, like a perfectly average album track, imo. Fair enough for a B-side.

I think fans, especially those who were in it from the beginning, have a sentimental attachment to certain songs that seem kind of mediocre to some of the rest of us. After all, some fans felt DR's version of These Boots Are Made for Walking was really good, but I thought it was about the worst pop record I ever heard. Only the 5th Dimension's You're My Star was as bad to my ears. But if you go to 5th Dimension fan sites, there are people who actually thought Star was "well done." Different strokes, etc

What were those 1969 shows like? Were they much like the Talk of the Town show or more like the Farewell show? Which of their hits were they singing then?

Does anyone know if they ever performed Forever Came Today, Some Things, Livin in Shame, The Composer, or No Matter What Sign live in concert?

Quote Originally Posted by MotownFan1 View Post
    What were those 1969 shows like? Were they much like the Talk of the Town show or more like the Farewell show? Which of their hits were they singing then?

Does anyone know if they ever performed Forever Came Today, Some Things, Livin in Shame, The Composer, or No Matter What Sign live in concert?
    i think most fans have agreed that, aside from Shame, those other tunes weren't in the live show. or if they were, just for a hot min. I think Shame was in for a little while but not super long either. just trying to go off of memory from posts on here

Quote Originally Posted by MotownFan1 View Post

The few reviews I've seen of 1969 shows seem to indicate that they were basically doing the FAREWELL set list.