[REMOVE ADS]

Least favorite Diana Ross singles/songs.

What are least favorite Diana Ross songs?

I have refrained from choosing songs from I love you and workin' overtime. I could easily have chosen five songs from each of those. Instead i have tried to be more creative.
    Here are my top five stinkers in order of awfulness.

1. Fool for your love.
    2. Old funky rolls.
    3. Sweet Nothings.
    4. Girls.
    5. We are the children of the world.

I am me and Endless Love solo version just miss out, but they fully deserve to be mentioned in this hall of shame.

How about you guys?
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 12-02-2020 at 03:39 PM.

1) So Close
    2) Eaten Alive
    3) Pieces of Ice
    4) Up Front
    5) Sleepin'

1.sleepin.
    2.doobe doobe whatever mess
    3 up front.
    4. We are the children of the world.
    5.most of the songs on why do fools fall in love
    6. All songs on last time I saw him minus title cut

1. endless love solo - her singing is so off pitch and strained

2. more and more - i actually think this could have been a good song but her vocals are so whispy and thin. i think it's more the production at fault here

3. it's a wonderful life - from the Forever box set. she sounds ok but this is just a worthless song.

4. we are the children - to have the kids choir singing along is highly questionable. to have a kids choir singing along so out of tune is unacceptable. i realize they wanted it to sound like "kids" but i know plenty of children's choirs and ensembles that can sing beautifully on pitch. otherwise this is are rather fun track

5. This House on Greatest Hits Live - while the overall WO album is challenging to get through, i think GH Live is worse. she sounds so strained and off pitch. at least in the studio she was more or less on the note.

I Am Me
    Girls
    We Are The Children Of The World
    Oh Teacher
    Take My Breath Away

No particular order!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I Am Me
    Girls
    We Are The Children Of The World
    Oh Teacher
    Take My Breath Away

No particular order!
    There are four that I really dislike...
    Fool For Your Love
    Keep On [[Dancin’)
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Take My Breath Away

Eaten Alive
    Oh Teacher
    Experience
    Chain Reaction
    More and More
    I'm Watching You
    Love on the Line
    I Love Being in Love with you
    Crime of Passion
    Don't Give Up on Each Other

Honorable mention: Sleepin'

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Eaten Alive
    Oh Teacher
    Experience
    Chain Reaction
    More and More
    I'm Watching You
    Love on the Line
    I Love Being in Love with you
    Crime of Passion
    Don't Give Up on Each Other

Honorable mention: Sleepin'
    So Eaten Alive just misses out on being your favorite album Satan? ��

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Nothing on that album worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    1. endless love solo - her singing is so off pitch and strained

2. more and more - i actually think this could have been a good song but her vocals are so whispy and thin. i think it's more the production at fault here

3. it's a wonderful life - from the Forever box set. she sounds ok but this is just a worthless song.

4. we are the children - to have the kids choir singing along is highly questionable. to have a kids choir singing along so out of tune is unacceptable. i realize they wanted it to sound like "kids" but i know plenty of children's choirs and ensembles that can sing beautifully on pitch. otherwise this is are rather fun track

5. This House on Greatest Hits Live - while the overall WO album is challenging to get through, i think GH Live is worse. she sounds so strained and off pitch. at least in the studio she was more or less on the note.
    I had forgotten all about “This House” from GHL. It’s one of my favourite D.R ballads of all time, but what a terrible version this is. Towards the end Diana is totally off key. Her backing singers do their best to bail her out but it’s an uphill struggle. It certainly should never have made it onto any album ever. I also hate the breakneck version of “Chain Reaction”.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I had forgotten all about “This House” from GHL. It’s one of my favourite D.R ballads of all time, but what a terrible version this is. Towards the end Diana is totally off key. Her backing singers do their best to bail her out but it’s an uphill struggle. It certainly should never have made it onto any album ever. I also hate the breakneck version of “Chain Reaction”.
    i was a bit hesitant to include a live track. it could be that she was sick for that concert or who knows what. and on other shows it might have sounded lovely. but they did [[for some inconceivable reason) decide to release GHL. so there's the fault lol

Last Time I saw him. A sad retread of Midnight Train to Georgia--just not as good IMO.

I'm with you Satan lol

you do realize that i love responding to your posts and using your name!

i can hear potential in many of the EA tracks but pretty much every song is dreadful. many are out of her range and she's struggling with her vocals. For some idiotic reason she's singing in a half whisper which does nothing to help her tone or intonation. the natural nasality of her voice does NOT pair well IMO with nasality of the Gibb falsetto. and the producers often have her vocals so buried in the mix.

i can get over the 80s style and sound. happy to appreciate it as a timepiece from another era just like early 90s or disco or 60s or whatever. but the reason i've stated above are why these tracks are never on my playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Last Time I saw him. A sad retread of Midnight Train to Georgia--just not as good IMO.
    oh Bobby! lol you're killing me!! i really like Last. it's just so fun. the dixieland band sounds great, especially on the extended version we recently received. when the clarinet and other instruments really start to tear things up and Diana is adlibbing and all. there's a liveliness and spontenaity that's so exciting and makes you smile and tap your feet. or dance around the house with a glass of wine as you're preparing dinner and clapping your hands to make the dogs park and race around lololol

Well it's just personal preference, Suppy Baby. I didn't mean to pee on your happiness! I was just answering the question posed by the thread starter. I also hated It's My Turn. It was old lady music to my ears. My mother was one of the most self-pitying women on the planet and she loved it, so naturally I turned on it. Last Time I Saw him was just too cutesy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I'm with you Satan lol

you do realize that i love responding to your posts and using your name!

i can hear potential in many of the EA tracks but pretty much every song is dreadful. many are out of her range and she's struggling with her vocals. For some idiotic reason she's singing in a half whisper which does nothing to help her tone or intonation. the natural nasality of her voice does NOT pair well IMO with nasality of the Gibb falsetto. and the producers often have her vocals so buried in the mix.

i can get over the 80s style and sound. happy to appreciate it as a timepiece from another era just like early 90s or disco or 60s or whatever. but the reason i've stated above are why these tracks are never on my playlists.
    It's all good. Satan's Blues was Jr. Walker & The All Star's first 45 at Motown and my favorite song by the group.
    The EA album should have never been created, written, recorded or released. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put the passe' Bee Gees together with Diana Ross needs to be flogged. The single EA is horrible and every track is equally as bad. I still remember listening to it the first time and was completely disappointed. By 1985 the Bee Gees weren't hip, cool or cutting edge. I understand why it was not successful. The Fantastic Four recorded better material than this at Motown.

Well it's just personal preference, Suppy Baby. I didn't mean to pee on your happiness! I was just answering the question posed by the thread starter. I also hated It's My Turn. It was old lady music to my ears. My mother was one of the most self-pitying women on the planet and she loved it, so naturally I turned on it. Last Time I Saw him was just too cutesy for me.
    hahaha Bobby this post is great!

out of curiosity then, what are some of your favs?

It's all good. Satan's Blues was Jr. Walker & The All Star's first 45 at Motown and my favorite song by the group.
    The EA album should have never been created, written, recorded or released. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put the passe' Bee Gees together with Diana Ross needs to be flogged. The single EA is horrible and every track is equally as bad. I still remember listening to it the first time and was completely disappointed. By 1985 the Bee Gees weren't hip, cool or cutting edge. I understand why it was not successful. The Fantastic Four recorded better material than this at Motown.
    i agree that the BeeGees were soooooooo passe at the time. there was such visceral negative reactions to anything disco but especially the Gibbs. at least in the US. and while Swept Away produced some hits they weren't mega blockbusters that competed with the huge huge huge hits of Madonna and Whitney. in 1985, she needed some sort of home run album. reaching back to the Gibbs IMO would be viewed as such a step backwards

Hi Sup. What's Sup? Get it? Never mind.

May I be completely frank? I don't have a single song by Diana Ross. I only know the singles that got played. I LOVED Touch Me In the Morning back when I was a kid. I recall singing it [[well as close to singing as I am capable of) while fishing. Thank God no one was around to hear my warbling except a few unfortunate fish who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. They probably hurled themselves onto my hook just to make it stop. But I digress. I LOVED The Boss when it came out. I thought Ain't No Mountain High Enough was a CLASSIC single--right up there with anything the Supremes ever did. I am struggling to think of anything else. I hated I'm Coming Out almost as much as I hated Upside Down. Oh yeah I actually bought Mirror Mirror in college. I prefer more powerful singers like Chaka and Patti/Nona but can certainly admire DR's tone and singing ability.

for the most part, I stopped following DR's career closely when she went to RCA....I did not excited about the first 2 RCA LPS...I got Swept Away for Christmas, and loved the title track and Touch By Touch...and thought Telephone, Nobody Makes Me Crazy were OK and loved All Of You..so, I got EA when it was released, and enjoyed it....I do like mostly everything on the RCA Greatest Hits CD...even though in complete LP form I found the LPs lackluster...I am glad they left Piece's of Ice off it.

don't like any of the Motown Mach-2 LPS....but I will name my least fav singles from the 70's:

Reach Out and Touch...got sick of it really fast
    Sleepin'....OK LP track, but its the DR equivalent of issuing TOUCH as a single
    You're A Special Part of Me...she is too shrill in parts....[[ditto for non 45 Pledging My Love)

I loved LTISH...it was a great departure....I also love It's My House and the ROSS LP ves. of Lovin' Livin' & Givin' [[The single and other mixes stink!)

Hi Sup. What's Sup? Get it? Never mind.

May I be completely frank? I don't have a single song by Diana Ross. I only know the singles that got played. I LOVED Touch Me In the Morning back when I was a kid. I recall singing it [[well as close to singing as I am capable of) while fishing. Thank God no one was around to hear my warbling except a few unfortunate fish who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. They probably hurled themselves onto my hook just to make it stop. But I digress. I LOVED The Boss when it came out. I thought Ain't No Mountain High Enough was a CLASSIC single--right up there with anything the Supremes ever did. I am struggling to think of anything else. I hated I'm Coming Out almost as much as I hated Upside Down. Oh yeah I actually bought Mirror Mirror in college. I prefer more powerful singers like Chaka and Patti/Nona but can certainly admire DR's tone and singing ability.
    haha - i got it

thanks for sharing your memories and thoughts! it's always fun comparing with other fans. that's much of the fun with the forum

I think I liked Muscles, too. Especially after Diana said she wasn't sure if the song was supposed to her fantasy or Michael's.

Eaten Alive
    Muscles
    I Am Me
    Sorry Doesn't Always Make it Right
    Workin' Overtime
    Livin Lovin Givin

I think I liked Muscles, too. Especially after Diana said she wasn't sure if the song was supposed to her fantasy or Michael's.
    I never knew she said that! Wow!

I think Eaten Alive is a good solid album and I like most of the tracks on it.

I just wonder though are we maybe talking with the benefit of hindsight in the UK?

Yes, I agree with Bluebrock that a huge opportunity was missed by not issuing Crime Of Passion as the follow-up to Chain but this is talking from some years down the line.

Experience was in the same mould as Heartbreaker [[although not just as strong) which had been a huge hit for Dionne a few years earlier and to be honest I and most others expected it to be quite a sizable hit at the time.

It was only later I could see it was the wrong decision.

Blue--she did, and not only did she say it, she said it to a reporter after practically begging Michael to produce her song! Their relationship never really got over it.

Blue--she did, and not only did she say it, she said it to a reporter after practically begging Michael to produce her song! Their relationship never really got over it.
    Is that why MJ left DR as the guardian of his three minor children when he passed?

Is that why MJ left DR as the guardian of his three minor children when he passed?
    He knew it would piss her off.

I know their relationship changed quite dramatically over the years, and she rarely spoke about him for fear of being misquoted. I know she was not best pleased when he passed her over as his duet partner for I just can't stop loving you, but i know better than to speak about that in any detail!

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    He knew it would piss her off.
    Lol! He also wrote and sang on Eaten Alive just to contribute to one of her worst-produced albums.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Lol! He also wrote and sang on Eaten Alive just to contribute to one of her worst-produced albums.
    So it is widely believed lucky or is it just rumour has it?.

I know their relationship changed quite dramatically over the years, and she rarely spoke about him for fear of being misquoted. I know she was not best pleased when he passed her over as his duet partner for I just can't stop loving you, but i know better than to speak about that in any detail!
    well we need to keep in mind that they were at SUCH different places at their lives and their friendship started when he was a young kid. people change and lives take you down different paths. so not shocking that they grew apart. Diana was already an adult but MJ went from an 11 year to an adult

MJ left his children to his mother, not Diana Ross.

To the best of my recollection, MJ never approached DR to record anything with him. NADA. He wanted Barbra Striesand to record Can't Stop loving you. She didn't like the song and passed. MJ was angry and approached Whitney, who also turned it down. The song was mediocre at best and Michael's eccentricities were starting to turn the public against him. By the time Bad came around, MJ started to become paranoid, thinking everyone was using him. DR never came into the picture post Bad.

I'm a little surprised they didn't duet on something in the early 80s. Once Thrilled came out, i think the idea of he and Diana duetting became pretty remote. he was so huge and by 83, she was cooling.

Muscles was a strong track - could have been a bit cleaner production but it works. a second MJ track [[like a duet) would have been a great idea for SE.

and i'm frankly a bit surprised Ease On Down the Road didn't chart better. while it's not the best song, it could have charted higher

You are right. He didn't approach her and that is what pissed her off big time.

To the best of my recollection, MJ never approached DR to record anything with him. NADA. He wanted Barbra Striesand to record Can't Stop loving you. She didn't like the song and passed. MJ was angry and approached Whitney, who also turned it down. The song was mediocre at best and Michael's eccentricities were starting to turn the public against him. By the time Bad came around, MJ started to become paranoid, thinking everyone was using him. DR never came into the picture post Bad.
    You are right. He didn't approach her and that is what pissed her off big time.

Well I'm sure the reason MJ never approached Dr for a duet on Bad or the later albums was because MJ feared being seen as dated. As the old saying goes, once you hit the top there is no other place to go but down. Michael dumped Quincy Jones for several reasons, but one was that he thought Quincy wasn't up to date on the most current sounds. He also thought QJ took too much credit for Thriller--both "reasons" said a lot more about MJ's paranoia and burgeoning ego than they did about Jones. Now, back to DR--Diana was insulted that MJ couldn't make her wedding to Ness. I would imagine she just assumed MJ thought he was above such things at the time but it really was just that MJ was so in demand that he just couldn't make the wedding. Also, DR approached MJ several times, wanting to manage him, which was awkward because MJ didn't want that at all. But more than anything, at least in my mind, is that MJ's "relationship" with DR was always about mutual admiration and career moves than it was about a real friendship in the way most people perceive the term. They were both so wrapped up in their careers that there wasn't time for hanging out and being friends for either of them. By the mid/late 80's, Diana knew her time as a record seller was dwindling and wanted to get into management--but nobody really took her seriously. MJ didn't need her. He wanted duets with up and coming artists, not someone as entwined in his own past as she was.

great summary Bobby. and by the mid to late 80s, Diana probably felt a duet with a new, younger mega star would help rekindle her career. MJ certainly knew this and from what we know, MJ was NO idiot when it came to business. he certainly didn't let sentimentality get in the way. he didn't with his family and he certainly wouldn't with Diana either

Hi Sup. Yeah Michael was a genius when it came to business--he surrounded himself with the best money people and lawyers. I'm sure he saw that so many of his fellow artists were broke or spent all their money and he didn't want that to happen to him. Anyway, what's kind of interesting to think about is if DR would have done a duet with MJ, had she been asked. I think she would have, but who knows? All the battling egos involved would have made anything possible.

what kind of an angle could Diana and Michael have had a duet about? They can't be both over their men in unity like Streisand and Donna , or fighting over a girl like Michael and Paul , and certainly not a romantic angle would be suitable for the two ....

Can't do an EBONY AND IVORY angle like Stevie and Paul...

hmmmm.....

Good point, Boogie. I didn't think of that.

Boogie--they could have made Muscles into a duet, with Michael pulling DR's wig off at the end, triumphant! Okay that was evil.

heee heee they could have both been tugging on that python in the video ....wow what imagery ....ha ha ...

Maybe something "cougar" themed, or was it too early for that to be as culturally acceptable ....

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    what kind of an angle could Diana and Michael have had a duet about? They can't be both over their men in unity like Streisand and Donna , or fighting over a girl like Michael and Paul , and certainly not a romantic angle would be suitable for the two ....

Can't do an EBONY AND IVORY angle like Stevie and Paul...

hmmmm.....
    i think they would have done more of a general love song. it certainly wouldn't have been something passionate like All Of You or Endless Love.

Mary and Scherrie duetted on You're What's Missing In My Life and there aren't any lesbian overtones lolol. and while most of Marvin and Tammi's work is gorgeously passionate, i think their take on Mountain is more middle type. not to overtly sexual passionate but about love and all still

So i think something like that would have worked. pop/dance of course

Boogie--in your scenario, who would win the tug of war over the python? I mean I'd imagine both had a lot of experience in that area. Anyway, we could call the song Ain't No Python Long Enough with Boy George on backing vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    heee heee they could have both been tugging on that python in the video ....wow what imagery ....ha ha ...

Maybe something "cougar" themed, or was it too early for that to be as culturally acceptable ....
    Oh you are cruel! Cruel but funny.