[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Your least favorite Diana Ross albums.

Here's a new thread which will hopefully prove to be entertaining and enjoyable.
    What are your least favorite Diana Ross studio albums? I have excluded live albums, compilations and soundtrack albums, but you can include them if you wish.
    Here are my five in order of awfulness.
    1. I love you.
    2. Workin' overtime.
    3. Why do fools fall in love.
    4. Silk Electric.
    5. Last time i saw him.

Hope Diana doesn't read this otherwise i shall be on santa's naughty list!

Over to you guys....

1. Why do fools fall in love.
    2. Workin' overtime.
    3. Last time i saw him.
    4. I love you.
    5. Eaten Alive

1) Eaten Alive
    2) Silk Electric
    3) Workin' Overtime
    4) Last Time I Saw Him
    5) Ross [[1983)

I love you
    Last time I saw him
    Why do fools fall in love
    Dr live 1978
    Workin overtime

Eaten Alive
    WO
    I Love You
    Ross 78
    Everything is Everything

and a [[dis)honorable raspberry to Greatest Hits Live from 1989

Focusing only on Motown releases

Baby it's me
    Diana! TV Soundtrack
    Diana live

In order....

1. Greatest Hits Live. Should never have seen the light of day.
    2. Silk Electric. With the exception of “Muscles”and “Love Lies” just awful.
    3. Why Do Fools Fall In Love. Soulless. “Mirror Mirror” and WTB saved the day
    4. Last Time I Saw Him. Uneven jumble with better tracks left off.
    5. Ross 78. Some decent songs, but overall a shoddy package.

I Love You came pretty close. Though badly produced, it has a certain simple charm about it.

1. Workin Overtime
    2. Silk Electric
    3. Greatest Hits Live
    4. Diana! Soundtrack
    5. Ross 78

I don't mind I Love You and like some of Why Do Fools, Last Time I Saw Him, and Everything is Everything.

Working Overtime
    Greatest Hits Live
    Last Time I saw Him
    Mahogany Soundtrack
    Silk Electric.

1. Working Overtime
    2. Silk Electric
    3. Eaten Alive
    4. Everything Is Everything
    5. Last Time I Saw Him

Like Ollie9, I rarely listen to I Love You but I'm glad we have it. For me, it does have a significance and charm.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    1. Working Overtime
    2. Silk Electric
    3. Eaten Alive
    4. Everything Is Everything
    5. Last Time I Saw Him

Like Ollie9, I rarely listen to I Love You but I'm glad we have it. For me, it does have a significance and charm.
    1. Diana! [[Original Soundtrack)
    2. Greatest Hits Live
    3. Workin’ Overtime

hard to do - each time I pick one I find something I like.

5. I Love You
    4. I Love You
    3. I Love You
    2. I Love You
    1. I Love You

HONORABLE MENTION: I Love You

Marv would have loved this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    5. I Love You
    4. I Love You
    3. I Love You
    2. I Love You
    1. I Love You

HONORABLE MENTION: I Love You
    Sans,
    Can I assume you really don't like I Love You? Just a wild guess on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Marv would have loved this discussion.
    Yes he would. He would have picked 25 rather than just 5!

The only Diana album I just don´t like is Workin´Overtime.

Following that [[and focusing only on studio albums) I would say Ross '78.
    As for I Love You, the production let´s the album down but I still enjoy it for the most part. When it comes to Last Time I Saw Him I have to say I really enjoy that album and I never really understood why so many fans don´t like it.

The RCA albums are uneven to say the least but I still enjoy every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Sans,
    Can I assume you really don't like I Love You? Just a wild guess on my part.
    Now, what on earth would make you think that?

1. Eaten Alive
    2. Eaten Alive
    3. Eaten Alive
    4. Eaten Alive
    5. Eaten Alive

Honorable Mention: Eaten Alive

Ross '83.
    Working Overtime
    and for some reasons I have never been able to get into Every Day Is A New Day

Blue - i suggest with these polls you've started that you summarize the results for us after a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Blue - i suggest with these polls you've started that you summarize the results for us after a few days.
    Sounds like a plan. It's fascinating to read other fans choices as favorites and least favorites

there is some sort of weird "polling" feature here on the forum but i wasn't ever able to figure it out.

Maybe Ralph can provide a tutorial lol

1. I Love You
    2. Last Time I Saw Him
    3. Greatest Hits Live
    4. Workin Overtime
    5. Diana TV Soundtrack

I Love You has "Lovely Day". With a song like that, how can the album make a worst list?

Eaten Alive has Chain Reaction and Love on the Line. So it shouldn't be on the list. Isn't Chain Reaction her biggest world wide hit?

Yes, I know commercial success doesn't mean good but these are good songs. I think

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I Love You has "Lovely Day". With a song like that, how can the album make a worst list?

Eaten Alive has Chain Reaction and Love on the Line. So it shouldn't be on the list. Isn't Chain Reaction her biggest world wide hit?

Yes, I know commercial success doesn't mean good but these are good songs. I think
    i'd label Chain and LOTL as decent, if not good songs. And even though Chain was a huge hit, it never really did much for me. I find it an anomaly of the EA album. you can actually hear and understand Diana's vocals and her vocals are not buried in the mix. it's almost like a different producer handled it and they slapped it on the album a la I Guess I'll Miss The Man on the JW set.

Love on the line is one of the stronger tracks on the album but that isn't saying much. the production of Diana's vocals is all wrong but at least not as terrible as other tunes

Everything after she left Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Here's a new thread which will hopefully prove to be entertaining and enjoyable.
    What are your least favorite Diana Ross studio albums? I have excluded live albums, compilations and soundtrack albums, but you can include them if you wish.
    Here are my five in order of awfulness.
    1. I love you.
    2. Workin' overtime.
    3. Why do fools fall in love.
    4. Silk Electric.
    5. Last time i saw him.

Hope Diana doesn't read this otherwise i shall be on santa's naughty list!

Over to you guys....
    1 I Love You
    2 Ross 83
    3 Red Hot Rhythm and Blues
    4 Greatest Hits Live
    5 Diana TV Soundtrack

if only studio albums,
    4 Why Do Fools
    5 Workin Overtime

i'd label Chain and LOTL as decent, if not good songs. And even though Chain was a huge hit, it never really did much for me. I find it an anomaly of the EA album. you can actually hear and understand Diana's vocals and her vocals are not buried in the mix. it's almost like a different producer handled it and they slapped it on the album a la I Guess I'll Miss The Man on the JW set.

Love on the line is one of the stronger tracks on the album but that isn't saying much. the production of Diana's vocals is all wrong but at least not as terrible as other tunes
    Chain Reaction was the final cut to be recorded. It was almost an after thought according to Barry Gibb; so in a way you are correct when you claim it sounds like they slapped it on the album!

Chain Reaction was the final cut to be recorded. It was almost an after thought according to Barry Gibb; so in a way you are correct when you claim it sounds like they slapped it on the album!
    Im surprised so many fans appear to dislike the album so much. I certainly don’t regard it as a DR classic, but consider it a solid effort.
    Although “I’m Watching You” is a pretty song, what the album really lacks is a killer ballad. MJ’s “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” would have been perfect for this album.
    It’s interesting that “Chain Reaction” was the last songs recorded for the project as her voice sound rejuvenated on the track when compared to some of the other songs. More the Diana Ross sound fans are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Im surprised so many fans appear to dislike the album so much. I certainly don’t regard it as a DR classic, but consider it a solid effort.
    Although “I’m Watching You” is a pretty song, what the album really lacks is a killer ballad. MJ’s “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” would have been perfect for this album.
    It’s interesting that “Chain Reaction” was the last songs recorded for the project as her voice sound rejuvenated on the track when compared to some of the other songs. More the Diana Ross sound fans are used to.
    Agree with you Ollie. It's not a classic Gibb production in the bracket of Guilty or Heartbreaker, but it was a solid effort with the notable exception of the ghastly title track. I rarely play it, but when i do i always enjoy it. I still think Crimes of Passion is the lost hit from this project. It should have been the UK follow up to Chain Reaction and would have been had i been in charge.

Agree with you Ollie. It's not a classic Gibb production in the bracket of Guilty or Heartbreaker, but it was a solid effort with the notable exception of the ghastly title track. I rarely play it, but when i do i always enjoy it. I still think Crimes of Passion is the lost hit from this project. It should have been the UK follow up to Chain Reaction and would have been had i been in charge.
    I play the expanded cd occasionally and still enjoy it. The icy 80’s production of course is of its time.
    Personally I don’t think there were any more major hits to be had off the album. After the huge success of “CR”, perhaps a re-promotion of “Eaten Alive” might have worked. It did chart very well all across Europe after all, so it must have had something.
    My own choice would have been “I Love Being In Love With You” which possesses a little more oomph then the diluted “Experience”.

I wonder if.....the track list was altered....
    1.chain reaction
    2 teacher
    3 experience
    4 more and more
    5 crimes of passion
    6 love being in love with you
    7 love on the line
    8 im watching you
    9 eaten alive

Chain reaction first single..
    Crimes of passion. 2nd single
    I'm watching you 3 rd single
    I think the album was a bit to more soulful than I would have liked

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I wonder if.....the track list was altered....
    1.chain reaction
    2 teacher
    3 experience
    4 more and more
    5 crimes of passion
    6 love being in love with you
    7 love on the line
    8 im watching you
    9 eaten alive

Chain reaction first single..
    Crimes of passion. 2nd single
    I'm watching you 3 rd single
    I think the album was a bit to more soulful than I would have liked
    I think the album was devoid of any soul in DR's voice. And altering the track listing would have been tantamount to rearranging the deck chair on the Titantic to save it. It still wouldn't have made this abomination any better.

I play the expanded cd occasionally and still enjoy it. The icy 80’s production of course is of its time.
    Personally I don’t think there were any more major hits to be had off the album. After the huge success of “CR”, perhaps a re-promotion of “Eaten Alive” might have worked. It did chart very well all across Europe after all, so it must have had something.
    My own choice would have been “I Love Being In Love With You” which possesses a little more oomph then the diluted “Experience”.
    Experience was a huge mistake. It's a lovely song but never a major hit single. How i wish i had been Diana's Manager in the 80's. She would have been an absolute nightmare to work with, but i reckon i would have been up to the task. I am not speaking with the benefit of hindsight. I knew some of the decisions made were crazy at the time. It was so frustrating being a fan who wanted to be much more than just a fan back then.

I agree, Crimes of Passion had hit written all over it. It's a bit muddy, and could have been remastered, I think. But it had great parts to it.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I agree, Crimes of Passion had hit written all over it. It's a bit muddy, and could have been remastered, I think. But it had great parts to it.
    The songs ok, but I can hardly understand a word she is singing. I can’t help thinking this may have held it back a ‘tad.

The songs ok, but I can hardly understand a word she is singing. I can’t help thinking this may have held it back a ‘tad.
    that was a problem with much of the album. the way her vocals were produced. we all know Diana Ross knows how to enunciate. but when the vocal track is so enveloped in echo and mixed so far back it's a struggle.

that was a problem with much of the album. the way her vocals were produced. we all know Diana Ross knows how to enunciate. but when the vocal track is so enveloped in echo and mixed so far back it's a struggle.
    I know you don’t care much for the EA album sup, but on occasion it’s much to do with the approach. This is what I recommend....
    1. Spread a generous helping of duck foie gras onto some well cooked toast.
    2. Pour yourself a generous glass of Merlot.
    3. Set your music system to skip the first EA track.
    4. Sit back in your favourite armchair and let the music gently wash over you.
    You will be astonished at how different it now sounds.

... hasn't yet been recorded!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Everything after she left Motown!
    Ha ha. You do have a point!

I know you don’t care much for the EA album sup, but on occasion it’s much to do with the approach. This is what I recommend....
    haha - i do agree with you that many of the songs had strong potential. and even the dated 80s sound doesn't put me off. happy to listen to an album from a different time and era and appreciate it in that context.

I don't know if any of the songs are as magical as things Barry did earlier or things Diana recorded earlier. but i agree. the majority of the problems are in the execution

Ha ha. I will have to try that ploy with Why do fools and Silk Electric! Will your suggestion work for that pair of clunkers Ollie?

Ha ha. I will have to try that ploy with Why do fools and Silk Electric! Will your suggestion work for that pair of clunkers Ollie?
    I think it might require something a little more radical then a smidge of duck pate and a glass of red lol.

I think it might require something a little more radical then a smidge of duck pate and a glass of red lol.
    I am thinking two crates of red each containing 12 bottles as a starter, and then maybe raid a Brewery for the main course.
    I would like to think all that alcohol would dull the senses sufficiently to make the music sound at least half listenable! Lol.

My least favorite produced album by song sequence would be the soundtrack to "Lady Sings The Blues". Diana Ross' vocals are spectacular!

The dialogue scenes and instrumental breaks seem to interfere with her honey toned vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    My least favorite produced album by song sequence would be the soundtrack to "Lady Sings The Blues". Diana Ross' vocals are spectacular!

The dialogue scenes and instrumental breaks seem to interfere with her honey toned vocals.
    I would love this album to be repackaged without the dialogue, and with additional music. I always thought the dialogue interrupted the flow of the album.

I Love You
    Workin Overtime
    Last Time I saw Him
    Ross '78

1. I Love You
    2. Why Do Fools Fall In love.
    3. Eaten Alive
    4. Silk Electric
    5. Every Day Is A New Day

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... hasn't yet been recorded!
    I agree with you on that!

I think if I had to list something, I'd say the Diana! TV Soundtrack, only for the reason that there's some unnecessary tracks on there from the skits and such. I also don't love the Lady Sings the Blues soundtrack for that same reason, as I don't love the dialogue pieces that were included, but obviously it was a different time and they were including those segments to 'tell the story' through music. The music itself is amazing.

The only songs Diana has ever recorded that I don't 100% love are "Shockwaves" and "We Are the Children of the World". However, they have grown on me over the years lol.