[REMOVE ADS]

Teddy Pendergrass - If-You-Dont-Know-Me documentary 2019

https://www.sho.com/titles/3464418/t...-dont-know-me\

Anyone saw this? Saw it last night. Very interesting. In it was said that the car accident could have happened because the brakes had been cut. That had happened in several of the other cars that Teddy had owned.
    Also quite mysterous was the killing of his first female manager who took a large percentage of his earnings.
    One of the people interviewed is Shep Gordon who became Teddy's manager and who later managed Luther Vandross about who he talks in his own documentary
    Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon.

Good find. I guess I'll have to wait till it reaches Netflix or Prime. TSOP and Teddy were a good match.

Teddy Pendergrass: If You Don't Know Me

Rated TVMA • 105 minutes

This documentary explores the rise of Teddy Pendergrass, the first male African American artist to record five consecutive platinum albums against the backdrop of 1960s America, and his comeback after a life-changing accident.

Shouldn't that be the 1970s instead?

The accident that paralyzed Teddy was neither the first or the last accident Teddy was involved in. There’s a theory that either Harold Melvin or some music executives had his cars sabotaged in order to take Teddy out. After the accident he had with his special van, he quit driving for good.

I watched this and came away thinking how perilous the music business was/is. Teddy was street wise and still encountered dangerous people....I could only think of how vulnerable lone female stars were/are, especially if they get to a place of stardom.

I saw the Teddy Pendergrass documentary when it came out on Showtime last year. Yes indeed; it was very well done and it dug deep into the perils that he faced not to mention the tragic accident that landed him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. You can hear Teddy saying in the recordings that he taped that his cars were being messed with. We can only speculate whether it was jealous boyfriends, a jealous Harold Melvin or cops [[who were jealous that Pendergrass was crossing over to a white female audience).

PS: One of my favorite lines in the doc was Valerie Simpson saying, "These Young People Today Need to see a Teddy Pendergrass".