[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - The Story of the Song.

UK members may be interested to know of a tv programme on channel 5 select on Fri 04/12 at 11pm. This programme is a profile of Diana through the prism of three of her songs Baby Love, Theme from Mahogany and Chain Reaction. It is not soley concerned with just those three songs, but they form the backbone of the programme. This is an ongoing series which has featured other superstars.
    I have not seen this show so i am unable to comment on it's quality but it certainly sounds interesting to say the least.
    5 select is available on Freeview channel 55. Freesat channel 133, Sky channel 153 and Virgin Media channel 152.
    Enjoy!

Thanks for the heads up, Bluebrock.

I wasn't aware of this.

Looking forward to it - we get so little on Diana nowadays.

I,ve just checked the Freeview schedule and the programme listed no Select for 11pm Friday 04/12 is a documentary called Secret Explosions.

Has Diana's programme been cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I,ve just checked the Freeview schedule and the programme listed no Select for 11pm Friday 04/12 is a documentary called Secret Explosions.

Has Diana's programme been cancelled?
    I have heard nothing to say it has been cancelled. I have checked my tv guide and it now says Thurs 03/12. Perhaps i posted the wrong date. It wouldn't be the first time! Apologies for any confusion caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have heard nothing to say it has been cancelled. I have checked my tv guide and it now says Thurs 03/12. Perhaps i posted the wrong date. It wouldn't be the first time! Apologies for any confusion caused.
    Many thanks for the heads up Mr B. I would have missed seeing this otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Many thanks for the heads up Mr B. I would have missed seeing this otherwise.
    My pleasure Ollie.

Thuersday it is!

Can't wait.

I guess it might have been prepared to be screened around the time of Glastonbury like some of those articles we have seen about Diana this year.

Will look out for it.

I don´t live in the UK but I hope I will be able to see it somehow. What is the name of the series?

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    I don´t live in the UK but I hope I will be able to see it somehow. What is the name of the series?
    It's called The Story of the Songs. Other performers covered in recent and upcoming episodes include Celine Dion, Sting and the Police, Rod Stewart, Aretha, Whitney and Cher.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 12-03-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I guess it might have been prepared to be screened around the time of Glastonbury like some of those articles we have seen about Diana this year.

Will look out for it.
    It is just one edition of a series. I don't think Channel 5 gave much thought to her proposed Glastonbury appearance, but there is a programme that i helped to compile called Diana Ross at the BBC which was scheduled to be broadcast on BBC4 to co-incide with her Glastonbury slot. It is being held over until next summer in the hope that she will make it over for next years festival. If that does not happen it will still get an airing next year. It's a pretty good selection of performances if i say so myself. A similar programme devoted to Dionne Warwick will be broadcast next week as part of the celebrations for her 80th Birthday.

It's called The Story of the Songs. Other performers covered in recent and upcoming episodes include Celine Dion, Sting and the Police, Rod Stewart, Aretha, Whitney and Cher.
    Of course, I see the name of the thread now... Thanks for the info. I was able to find the Celine episode, would love to see the Cher episode as well - and of course Diana´s!

I have just watched the Diana episode. It was entertaining enough but the producers did not do their research thoroughly. It claimed Diana won an Academy Award for her performance in Lady sings the Blues. The narrator kept referring to Motown as Mertown. I could go on but i won't. Nothing radical here. Nice interviews with the Holland Brothers were perhaps the highlight of the programme. Catch it if you can, but if you do not have access to it you are not missing out in any big way.

Totally in agreement , Bluebrock.

Lovely to see Diana on TV again but there was nothing new.

I began to get irked at the number of times they kept playing Baby Love, ooh Baby Love.

I always refer to Liza Minnelli winning the Oscar for Cabaret as the biggest robbery of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Totally in agreement , Bluebrock.

Lovely to see Diana on TV again but there was nothing new.

I began to get irked at the number of times they kept playing Baby Love, ooh Baby Love.

I always refer to Liza Minnelli winning the Oscar for Cabaret as the biggest robbery of the century.
    Each edition of this programme focuses primarily on three singles for some bizarre reason, and of course Baby Love was one of the three hence it's overuse in the programme.

The series is currently playing in the USA on REELZ. Below is the schedule:
    Tuesday, December 1

*NEW* Queen and Adam Lambert: The Show Must Go On at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

Sunday, December 6

*NEW* Black Sabbath: Breaking the Band at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

*NEW* Metallica: The Story of The Songs at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT

Tuesday, December 8

*NEW* ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band from Texas at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

Sunday, December 13

*NEW* Tom Petty: Won't Back Down at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

*NEW* Autopsy: The Last Hours of... "Tom Petty" at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT

*NEW* Tom Petty: Life, Death & Money at 10pm ET/ 7pm PT

Friday, December 18

*NEW* Keith Richards: You Can't Rock Me at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

Sunday, December 20

*NEW* Whitney Houston: Story of Her Songs at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT

*NEW* Diana Ross: Story of Her Songs at 10pm ET/ 7pm PT

Whitney Houston: Story of Her Songs Premieres Sunday, December 20 at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT. With seven consecutive number one hits, more than 200 million records sold and millions of adoring fans across the world Whitney Houston was a powerhouse diva. Whitney Houston: Story of Her Songs highlights the three songs that took her from the church choir to cementing her as an indisputable music icon. Sharing their first-hand accounts are the producers, songwriters, back-up singers, choreographers, journalists and industry experts who witnessed it all. Houston burst onto the mainstream scene in 1987 with up-tempo pop smash hit "I Wanna Dance with Somebody". Grammy Award[[R) winning producer and trusted Houston friend Narada Michael Walden recalls working with her in the studio to create the song and her remarkable ability to harness otherworldly talent and electrify their recording sessions. Back-up vocalist Jeanie Tracy takes viewers through the recording session when Houston showcased her breadth and brilliance once again with the jaw dropping power ballad "One Moment in Time" hitting the high notes to secure the anthem for the prestigious 1988 Olympic Games and defining her status as America's sweetheart. Record producer and songwriter of Houston's 1999 reggae influenced comeback hit "My Love is Your Love" Jerry "Wonda" Duplessis shares his story of recording the track that was a celebration of Houston's motherhood that took her back to the top of the charts. Whitney Houston: Story of Her Songs is produced by ViacomCBS International Studios UK.

Diana Ross: Story of Her Songs Premieres Sunday, December 20 at 10pm ET/ 7pm PT. Her dazzling career spans more than six decades with accolades including 12 Grammy Award[[R) nominations, seven American Music Awards[[R), a Golden Globe Award[[R) and induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Diana Ross: Story of Her Songs celebrates her stellar career with a look at the three tracks that showcase her fabulous rise to become a pop, disco and soul sensation. Hear from renowned Motown songwriters and session musicians, music video directors, choreographers, arrangers and movie soundtrack composers who were in studio and on set with Ross. Diana Ross & The Supremes were Motown's most commercially successful act to date captivating mainstream America and conquering worldwide charts. Prolific Motown songwriters Brian and Eddie Holland were responsible for 10 number one singles for The Supremes including 1964's "Baby Love" and they share intimate details about writing and recording the massive hit. After a phenomenal decade and unimaginable success it was time for Ross to dazzle as a solo artist. "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)" proved Ross could be a hit at the box office while also topping the Billboard charts. Movie soundtrack composer and arranger Lee Holdridge shares his story of taking a simple song and helping Ross turn it into an astonishing success. This run of hits continued into the 1980s when Ross teamed up with pop heavyweights The Bee Gees to release "Chain Reaction" to great critical and commercial acclaim. Esteemed director David Mallet and celebrated choreographer Arlene Phillips share how they recreated 1960s Motown in the spectacular music video for "Chain Reaction". Relive the journey of the three songs that saw Ross become one of the most powerful artists in pop. Diana Ross: Story of Her Songs is produced by ViacomCBS International Studios U

info on where to find REELZ channel

https://www.reelz.com/about/#:~:text...s%20nationwide.

there is a programme that i helped to compile called Diana Ross at the BBC which was scheduled to be broadcast on BBC4. It's a pretty good selection of performances if i say so myself. A similar programme devoted to Dionne Warwick will be broadcast next week as part of the celebrations for her 80th Birthday.
    Yes - I quite like some of those 'at the BBC' broadcasts though they can be hit & miss as to the songs included. I guess beggars can't be choosers sometimes as they don't have the complete discography to pick from. I'm sure you picked the best ones available though.

Will look out for the Dionne one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The series is currently playing in the USA on REELZ. Below is the schedule:
    Tuesday, December 1

*NEW* Queen and Adam Lambert: The Show Must Go On at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

Sunday, December 6

*NEW* Black Sabbath: Breaking the Band at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

*NEW* Metallica: The Story of The Songs at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT

Tuesday, December 8

*NEW* ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band from Texas at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

Sunday, December 13

*NEW* Tom Petty: Won't Back Down at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

*NEW* Autopsy: The Last Hours of... "Tom Petty" at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT

*NEW* Tom Petty: Life, Death & Money at 10pm ET/ 7pm PT

Friday, December 18

*NEW* Keith Richards: You Can't Rock Me at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT

Sunday, December 20

*NEW* Whitney Houston: Story of Her Songs at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT

*NEW* Diana Ross: Story of Her Songs at 10pm ET/ 7pm PT

Whitney Houston: Story of Her Songs Premieres Sunday, December 20 at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT. With seven consecutive number one hits, more than 200 million records sold and millions of adoring fans across the world Whitney Houston was a powerhouse diva. Whitney Houston: Story of Her Songs highlights the three songs that took her from the church choir to cementing her as an indisputable music icon. Sharing their first-hand accounts are the producers, songwriters, back-up singers, choreographers, journalists and industry experts who witnessed it all. Houston burst onto the mainstream scene in 1987 with up-tempo pop smash hit "I Wanna Dance with Somebody". Grammy Award[[R) winning producer and trusted Houston friend Narada Michael Walden recalls working with her in the studio to create the song and her remarkable ability to harness otherworldly talent and electrify their recording sessions. Back-up vocalist Jeanie Tracy takes viewers through the recording session when Houston showcased her breadth and brilliance once again with the jaw dropping power ballad "One Moment in Time" hitting the high notes to secure the anthem for the prestigious 1988 Olympic Games and defining her status as America's sweetheart. Record producer and songwriter of Houston's 1999 reggae influenced comeback hit "My Love is Your Love" Jerry "Wonda" Duplessis shares his story of recording the track that was a celebration of Houston's motherhood that took her back to the top of the charts. Whitney Houston: Story of Her Songs is produced by ViacomCBS International Studios UK.

Diana Ross: Story of Her Songs Premieres Sunday, December 20 at 10pm ET/ 7pm PT. Her dazzling career spans more than six decades with accolades including 12 Grammy Award[[R) nominations, seven American Music Awards[[R), a Golden Globe Award[[R) and induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Diana Ross: Story of Her Songs celebrates her stellar career with a look at the three tracks that showcase her fabulous rise to become a pop, disco and soul sensation. Hear from renowned Motown songwriters and session musicians, music video directors, choreographers, arrangers and movie soundtrack composers who were in studio and on set with Ross. Diana Ross & The Supremes were Motown's most commercially successful act to date captivating mainstream America and conquering worldwide charts. Prolific Motown songwriters Brian and Eddie Holland were responsible for 10 number one singles for The Supremes including 1964's "Baby Love" and they share intimate details about writing and recording the massive hit. After a phenomenal decade and unimaginable success it was time for Ross to dazzle as a solo artist. "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)" proved Ross could be a hit at the box office while also topping the Billboard charts. Movie soundtrack composer and arranger Lee Holdridge shares his story of taking a simple song and helping Ross turn it into an astonishing success. This run of hits continued into the 1980s when Ross teamed up with pop heavyweights The Bee Gees to release "Chain Reaction" to great critical and commercial acclaim. Esteemed director David Mallet and celebrated choreographer Arlene Phillips share how they recreated 1960s Motown in the spectacular music video for "Chain Reaction". Relive the journey of the three songs that saw Ross become one of the most powerful artists in pop. Diana Ross: Story of Her Songs is produced by ViacomCBS International Studios U

Thanks so much Milven for sharing.

Yes - I quite like some of those 'at the BBC' broadcasts though they can be hit & miss as to the songs included. I guess beggars can't be choosers sometimes as they don't have the complete discography to pick from. I'm sure you picked the best ones available though.

Will look out for the Dionne one as well.
    The Diana programme may yet be amended. One particular performance from the 60's which was thought to be wiped has seemingly been discovered over 55 years after it's original broadcast. If we can get clearance it will replace a more recent and often seen performance. It's a very exciting discovery which i haven't as yet seen. Fingers crossed and watch this space.

One particular performance from the 60's which was thought to be wiped has seemingly been discovered over 55 years after it's original broadcast. If we can get clearance
    I love these discoveries of 'lost' film [[whether they be musical clips, old tv shows etc) - I hate some of those 'clearance' aspects. Hopefully it can be done.

I love these discoveries of 'lost' film [[whether they be musical clips, old tv shows etc) - I hate some of those 'clearance' aspects. Hopefully it can be done.
    I love them too! It's a nice thought that maybe other so called lost performances will be discovered on a reel in someone's attic. We must never give up hope.

I have just watched the Diana episode. It was entertaining enough but the producers did not do their research thoroughly. It claimed Diana won an Academy Award for her performance in Lady sings the Blues. The narrator kept referring to Motown as Mertown. I could go on but i won't. Nothing radical here. Nice interviews with the Holland Brothers were perhaps the highlight of the programme. Catch it if you can, but if you do not have access to it you are not missing out in any big way.
    Agree B. So many inaccuracies. Mahogany being a flop at the box office etc etc. Nice to see a programme on Diana/Supremes, but not a music documentary one would particularly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Agree B. So many inaccuracies. Mahogany being a flop at the box office etc etc. Nice to see a programme on Diana/Supremes, but not a music documentary one would particularly recommend.
    It passed 45 mins or so pleasantly for me but i shuddered at the standard of research that went into the making of the programme. I don't think i shall bother with the episodes on other stars.

i shuddered at the standard of research that went into the making of the programme.
    I'm jusr watching a BBC series 'The Sound of TV' looking at how music including pop music is used in TV shows. I shuddered when 'Da Doo Ron Ron' was played and up came the song title with a photograph and caption of 'The Chiffons'...

I'm jusr watching a BBC series 'The Sound of TV' looking at how music including pop music is used in TV shows. I shuddered when 'Da Doo Ron Ron' was played and up came the song title with a photograph and caption of 'The Chiffons'...
    It's quite frightening isnt it?
    I was watching Dionne Warwick at the BBC recently, and that contained a few minor cock ups! That is what happens when you employ researchers who have no interest whatsoever in the subject matter. I have recently contributed to a forthcoming programme entitled Diana Ross at the BBC. I hope i am shown an advance preview of it prior to broadcast.
    There is a Whitney Houston at the BBC programme scheduled for New Years Eve. I shudder to think what errors that one may contain!