[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Motown Songs

Motown Songs

As it’s the season for compiling lists... which two Motown songs would fans have liked Diana to have recorded. Only TWO remember.
    Mine would have to be two Stevie compositions.

1. Cause We’ve Ended Now As Lovers.
    2. Ribbon In The Sky

I think Diana would have done a terrific job with both of those songs.

I choose a Michael Masser song and a Barry Gibb song [[a duet with Kenny Rogers)

Someone That I Used To Love
    Islands In The Stream

I'd like:

1 You and I [[We Can Conquer the World) from Stevie's Talking Book album - Diana would nail the vocals of this song
    2 I'll Be Satisfied - this would provide a great 60s Motown feel song for her later solo albums

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I'd like:

1 You and I [[We Can Conquer the World) from Stevie's Talking Book album - Diana would nail the vocals of this song
    2 I'll Be Satisfied - this would provide a great 60s Motown feel song for her later solo albums
    ”You And I” could have been beautiful. Streisand recorded a respectable version, but I think the song would have suited Dianas voice much better.
    I also like the idea of her singing “Heavy Day” from the Stevie Presents Syreeta album. I think it a great shame he never got to do a whole album with Diana, say around 82/83.

Ribbon in the sky
    You and i

You And I would have been especially effective if there was a minimum of instruments backing Diana. Her version of Too Shy To Say was swamped by the backing.

A nice simple approach to You And I with perhaps Stevie on keyboards and very little else would make for a spectacular recording. If only we could get a message to Diana and Stevie to suggest this.

You And I would have been especially effective if there was a minimum of instruments backing Diana. Her version of Too Shy To Say was swamped by the backing.

A nice simple approach to You And I with perhaps Stevie on keyboards and very little else would make for a spectacular recording. If only we could get a message to Diana and Stevie to suggest this.
    I could get a message to Diana, but sadly not Stevie.

Since Diana is the focus here, I assume that this is her solo career. If I had to choose two, and two that have not made anyone else's response yet, I'll go with Stevie's "As" and MJ's "Happy".

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I could get a message to Diana, but sadly not Stevie.
    That would be great Bluebrock, thanks. Diana’s reaction would be wonderful to know too, good or bad.
    Last edited by rovereab; 11-30-2020 at 07:44 PM.

New Music

That would be great Bluebrock, thanks. Diana’s reaction would be wonderful to know too, good or bad.
    Bluebook Any update on new recordings

We had a snippet of “Come Together”, but It would be interesting to know if any new songs were recorded at all before the world changed.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Since Diana is the focus here, I assume that this is her solo career. If I had to choose two, and two that have not made anyone else's response yet, I'll go with Stevie's "As" and MJ's "Happy".
    Not quite so sure about “Happy” Ran. I was not bowled over by her performance of the song at the Midem Festival in 94 which I thought sounded a little strained.
    My own personal favourite version is the Masser instrumental from the LSTB soundtrack. Next fave being M.J’s.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    Bluebook Any update on new recordings
    I am reliably told that some recording has taken place, but not with Mark Ronson. These alleged recordings took place either side of Christmas. Not sure if or when recording will resume. All i am hearing is Fall 2021, but that is of course subject to change. Sorry i cannot give you anything more specific. I know very little more than you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Not quite so sure about “Happy” Ran. I was not bowled over by her performance of the song at the Midem Festival in 94 which I thought sounded a little strained.
    My own personal favourite version is the Masser instrumental from the LSTB soundtrack. Next fave being M.J’s.
    Keep in mind Ollie that Midem was Diana live some 20 years, give or take, after "Happy" originally came out and it was possibly an off night for her. I imagine Diana Ross in the studio sometime around 1973-1976 would've killed this song. I do love the instrumental from the LSTB album, but I'm even more wild about MJ's version, which I think Diana would've done beautifully.

It's not that I think Thelma Houston fell short in her interpretation of DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY in any way [[ 10 rating out of 10) .... and to this day it remains in my Top Five Motown songs of all-time, and it's not that I'm not delighted the song gave Thelma Houston her shining moment and a life-time performing career,
    no, not wanting to rob any of this .......
    I still can't help but be intrigued by what a Diana Ross rendition might have sounded like.

And this is only "Motown " by association but I'm hooked on it currently and I keep thinking this should have been a Diana Ross song backed by The Andantes:

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    It's not that I think Thelma Houston fell short in her interpretation of DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY in any way [[ 10 rating out of 10) .... and to this day it remains in my Top Five Motown songs of all-time, and it's not that I'm not delighted the song gave Thelma Houston her shining moment and a life-time performing career,
    no, not wanting to rob any of this .......
    I still can't help but be intrigued by what a Diana Ross rendition might have sounded like.

And this is only "Motown " by association but I'm hooked on it currently and I keep thinking this should have been a Diana Ross song backed by The Andantes:

This one sounds quite run of the mill to my ears. Nothing outstanding.
    “Don’t Leave Me This Way” would most likely have given her another huge hit. Did she even record a demo of the song?. Would have been a great number to open up side two of the black album from 76.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    This one sounds quite run of the mill to my ears. Nothing outstanding.
    “Don’t Leave Me This Way” would most likely have given her another huge hit. Did she even record a demo of the song?. Would have been a great number to open up side two of the black album from 76.
    "Don't Leave" would've made an excellent follow up to "Love Hangover". Thelma killed it, but there's no doubt in my mind that Diana would've done an equally great- if different- vocal. Fingers always crossed that a demo surfaces. Definitely on the wish list.

BlueBrock, Thanks for the update about Recording. Do you think they are targeting a fall 2021 release. Do you think she will still record with Mark Ronson.

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    BlueBrock, Thanks for the update about Recording. Do you think they are targeting a fall 2021 release. Do you think she will still record with Mark Ronson.
    Yes i do believe they are targeting fall 2021. Mark Ronson may come back on board depending upon his committments. Nothing had been signed when Diana revealed Ronson was to be involved in the production. That pissed Ronson off somewhat according to insiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes i do believe they are targeting fall 2021. Mark Ronson may come back on board depending upon his committments. Nothing had been signed when Diana revealed Ronson was to be involved in the production. That pissed Ronson off somewhat according to insiders.
    Does this mean an album might be released in 2021 minus the tour?.