[REMOVE ADS]

A Love Like Yours - Kim Weston

I recently was listening to my KW Greatest Hits & Rare Classics. There was a song on there that I had forgotten about, A Love Like Yours. I checked and the earlier one was naturally by Martha & the Vandellas and Kim's was released about three years later.

Kim did an outstanding job on A Love Like Yours. It is within striking distance of the Vandellas version. There are some other good characteristics about Kim's version.

What do others think about this selection?

Ironically, I also have her 2-CD set The Motown Anthology consisting of 48 songs, but A Love Like Yours is NOT included in this collection. I guess I did not fully appreciate Kim as I have other artists, but after listening to the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics, I changed my mind and am more and more convinced that they did not fully develop her into the superstar they could.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I recently was listening to my KW Greatest Hits & Rare Classics. There was a song on there that I had forgotten about, A Love Like Yours. I checked and the earlier one was naturally by Martha & the Vandellas and Kim's was released about three years later.

Kim did an outstanding job on A Love Like Yours. It is within striking distance of the Vandellas version. There are some other good characteristics about Kim's version.

What do others think about this selection?

Ironically, I also have her 2-CD set The Motown Anthology consisting of 48 songs, but A Love Like Yours is NOT included in this collection. I guess I did not fully appreciate Kim as I have other artists, but after listening to the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics, I changed my mind and am more and more convinced that they did not fully develop her into the superstar they could.

Kim’s anthology was tracked to be complimentary to GHRC and where titles were duplicated, if you listen carefully, the versions are either alternate recordings or rather different mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmaninthethirdrow View Post
    Kim’s anthology was tracked to be complimentary to GHRC and where titles were duplicated, if you listen carefully, the versions are either alternate recordings or rather different mixes.
    You beat me to the punch FatMan

there is a blistering version by Ike and Tina Turner at Carnegie Hall in '71 on the live LP What You Hear Is What You Get

Hi!

An excellent version by Phil Spector and Ike & Tina Turner:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCYkOnptv8

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    there is a blistering version by Ike and Tina Turner at Carnegie Hall in '71 on the live LP What You Hear Is What You Get

up...that's the version! I love that LP....I & T made great music for many years, til he got too fogged out on the coke..I like this version better than the earlier 2...there is the Spector version and a earlier live one....thanks for posting here,,,may pick up some new fans....if they have the patience to get thru the long acapella.

The Ike & Tina / Phil Spector version does it best for me. How nice if he'd produced some Motown acts [[Marvs, Velvs maybe) - but he'd have probably had Motown dancing the screw before long.

I prefer Motown over Spector....too much going on and sounds muddy a lot [[but not all) of the time to me.