[REMOVE ADS]

Kim Weston ‘Live in Detroit 1978' E.P. PRESS RELEASE

Paul Stuart on Facebook.....

A newly unearthed live performance from Kim Weston is to be released in the coming weeks! Produced with Kim’s input, 100% of the money made from ‘Kim Weston live in Detroit 1978’ will be going straight to the lady herself, in time for her 81st birthday and in a year where all her performances have been cancelled.

Watch this space for more information and join KIM WESTON APPRECIATION GROUP [[Facebook) to ensure you don’t miss it!

Kim Weston ‘Live in Detroit 1978' E.P.
    PRESS RELEASE
    A decade on from her time at Motown records, this newly unearthed recording of Kim Weston live from Detroit’s Paradise Theatre demonstrates just why she is so highly revered as one of the greatest vocalists the city [[and arguably, the world) has ever produced.
    Here we hear Kim continuing to show us the jazzier sound that she adopted after leaving Motown, with tributes to the great Dinah Washington, as well as performances of two of her mid 1970’s releases: ‘Nobody Had to Tell Me’ which was released with The Hastings Street Jazz Orchestra in 1976 and her own composition, ‘Detroit [[That’s My Home Town)’, released as a single on her own RAHKIM label in 1975.
    This 1978 Easter Day performance comes from a time where Kim’s focus was on giving back to her community. Two years prior, Detroit Mayor Coleman Young had declared July 18th 1976 as “Kim Weston Day” in honour of her voluntary work and countless appearances at benefit concerts in the city. “I’m called the benefit queen!” jokes Kim after her first number on this set, before thanking the promoters for a paying gig. “I’m only serious” she laughs, but it is true that, like many unsung heroes of black music, Kim has never been particularly well paid for her incredible talents. Her records, which continue to sell, don’t benefit Kim financially, so is the reason that 100% of the money taken in from sales of this new live E.P. will benefit Kim directly.
    The E.P. will be available to order on CD from 1st December 2020 at £7.99 / $9.99 plus P+P. The CD will come with the download code for a free digital copy in an effort to please both collectors and the more modern music fan.
    Payments will be made to myself and I will be transferring the takings to Kim after we have sold some CD’s! I will make the payment details available on here from next week.
    I will also post some images and similar things between now and then so watch this space!
    Here is the front cover, featuring a painting by my friend here in the UK, Chris Gleeson. I am proud to say that I own the original and that Chris has been very kind to let us use the image.
    Who’s looking forward to receiving their copy??!! 😀
    Kim is very excited!

Name:  2020-11-23-kim-weston.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  9.6 KB

Anxious to see a track listing. Kim Weston was never given her due at Motown and her love of jazz shone through many of her Motown songs. Very talented performer.

What a find. I'm definitely curious to give this a listen.

Well I've put the order in for my CD but you also get to download the tracks digitally as well as all the artwork - and I've just done that [[yet to play any). Limited to 100 copies initially but I expect there'll be more available.

Tracklist
    1 - Dinah Washington Medley 1
    2 - Interlude
    3 - Dinah Washington Medley 2
    4 - Interlude
    5 - Nobody Had To Tell Me
    6 - Interlude
    7 - Detroit [[That's My Home Town).

Get em while you can - all proceeds to Kim Weston herself.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...43406055821115

Just ordered mine and can’t wait to hear it. Thanks for making this available. Happy that the proceeds will benefit Kim Weston, who has given us so much joy and happiness over the years from such a talented, generous lady.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Get em while you can - all proceeds to Kim Weston herself.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...43406055821115
    Is there a direct link to order or must it be done thru facebook?

I think if you try the following it should work as that is what I used and it went through and he acknowledged the order. Be sure to put your complete name, address, etc. in the link so he will know where to send it.

www.paypal.me/paulstuartdavies

Keep in mind the US monetary amount due is $20. which includes shipping & handling.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I think if you try the following it should work as that is what I used and it went through and he acknowledged the order. Be sure to put your complete name, address, etc. in the link so he will know where to send it.

www.paypal.me/paulstuartdavies

Keep in mind the US monetary amount due is $20. which includes shipping & handling.
    \

Thanks Woodward!

Whomever is the lucky one to get theirs first, be sure to let everyone else know via this thread. The USPS is so screwed up in their mail delivery it is a disgrace. I get the Informed Mail Delivery daily and nothing ever matches up. It says I am getting one piece and I get five pieces. Things that used to come via first class mail in two days are now in transit for the fifth day. Is anyone else in the USA having this problem? What impact that will have on mail from overseas [UK] is indeterminate at this time.

According to Paul Stuart, he is unable to take any more orders at this time and was asking people to hold off on ordering. I am guessing they may need to press some more CDs in the coming weeks to fulfill the demand. He said they were able to raise $900 for Kim thus far, which is great.

BREAKING NEWS: Today 12/22/20 I received my CD from Paul. Although I haven't played it yet, I intend to do so pronto. It was mailed from the UK on 12/8/20 so it took 14 days or two weeks to get to Southern Delaware. Sadly our USPS mail service can take that long recently.

I ordered mine on December 8 but haven’t received it yet. Is there anyway to get a tracking number for these Shipments? I know it hasn’t been all that long considering the CDs are shipping from the UK, but how can I verify that my CD is on the way?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Happy to say I just got mine today and can’t wait to play it! Delivery was fast from the UK.
    Will update this as soon as I listen to it.

This is a very enjoyable and well produced CD. Kim is in fine voice, absolutely spot on, although this is after her Motown [[and I think her MGM and Volt) periods as well, her voice retains all the luster and strength she has on her Motown tracks.

It is a rather short program, but it is an EP after all. Her performance of the Dinah Washington tunes are stunning though a couple of them are very short, for example “unforgettable“ I think basically just includes the first line of the song and no more. But she sings everything beautifully.

As rare as it must be to find these concerts that were taped so many years ago, and as good as it feels to be able to do a little something for Kim Weston, I am so glad this short concert came out and was able to be produced. It is well worth having and I highly encourage those who are thinking about it to get a copy.

Now if we could only find a lost live concert from the latter-day Marvelettes with Wanda singing lead!

This is a very enjoyable and well produced CD. Kim is in fine voice, absolutely spot on, although this is after her Motown [[and I think her MGM and Volt) periods as well, her voice retains all the luster and strength she has on her Motown tracks.

It is a rather short program, but it is an EP after all. Her performance of the Dinah Washington tunes are stunning though a couple of them are very short, for example “unforgettable“ I think basically just includes the first line of the song and no more. But she sings everything beautifully.

As rare as it must be to find these concerts that were taped so many years ago, and as good as it feels to be able to do a little something for Kim Weston, I am so glad this short concert came out and was able to be produced. It is well worth having and I highly encourage those who are thinking about it to get a copy.

Now if we could only find a lost live concert from the latter-day Marvelettes with Wanda singing lead!
    How nice to hear this, Kenneth!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    How nice to hear this, Kenneth!
    Thanks Peace! It’s always great to hear new [[to us) material by our old favorites!

A few years ago I recall Harry Weinger stating that in the run up to the Motown Monday's that were recorded in the late summer and early fall of 1966, all the acts performed in Cleveland. And that those shows were also recorded. I asked if this included the Marvelettes show, I did not get a reply. That would be great to track down and listen to. I would also like to hear a complete live concert of the Contours and the Isley Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    [/B]
    A few years ago I recall Harry Weinger stating that in the run up to the Motown Monday's that were recorded in the late summer and early fall of 1966, all the acts performed in Cleveland. And that those shows were also recorded. I asked if this included the Marvelettes show, I did not get a reply. That would be great to track down and listen to. I would also like to hear a complete live concert of the Contours and the Isley Brothers.
    You tease!! 😂

Seriously, when the second box set on the Marvelettes came out, and midnight Johny interviewed one of the head honchos from hippo select, he said they had gone through everything in the vaults and didn’t find any unknown live recordings from the Marvelettes. But you know with Motown you can never say never! That’s why I still have hope!
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-08-2021 at 07:21 PM.