[REMOVE ADS]

the Supremes and the "Wall of sound"

been trying to think of some new threads and discussions. The other day on FB, there were a bunch of posts on the Jimmy Webb album and that got me thinking...

What are your thoughts on the Supremes and the style of music referred to as the Wall of Sound, typically associated with Phil Spector. this isn't to discard their HDH magic but instead to explore the handful of tunes they DID record that carry heavy similarities to the Spector records

Lovelight - this is a strong song and the girls sound great on it. To be honest though, it really sounds like something MATV would have recorded. Heatwave was perfect and Quicksand was a great follow up. Maybe Lovelight would have worked best with them instead of Live Wire.

Other early one - Run Run Run, Penny Pincher

Phil did producer Things Are Changing

and they added vocals to Too Hurt To Cry which was a Spector knockoff [[at least the Marvelettes version was)

Finally there's the JW project.

Most of those songs I don't like .
    I've always wondered how the Webb album sounded without all those voices

Aside from "When The Lovelight.." & "Too Hurt To Cry", I don't think that much of the 'Wall Of Sound' approach for The Supremes songs. They sounded their best with that trademark 'Motown Sound'.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I don't think that much of the 'Wall Of Sound' approach for The Supremes songs. They sounded their best with that trademark 'Motown Sound'.
    Totally agree!

"The Wall of Sound" is so synonymous with Phil Spector, that it wouldn't have worked with any other groups or labels.

Hence, the horrid JW album.

The Supremes were better off with HDH, the Funks, or the "Motown Sound".

There was definitely a magic that existed between the combo of Supremes, HDH and the Funks. But to my ears, "Things Are Changing" and "Too Hurt To Cry" only prove that at this point the Supremes could've sang just about anything with anyone.