[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This happened when Mary and Turkessa decided to attend Diana's WORKIN' OVERTIME concert in LA. Although Diana wouldn't leave her dressing room backstage, they decided to Spago, where Diana's after-party was being held. Mary said there were instances where other parts of the restuarant would be open when a private party was taking place. In this case, however, they were turned away again, conveniently in front of a crew from ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT.

No bushes this time.
    This is rather touching. Mary wanting to congratulate Diana and share in the celebrations with her. That’s what you call true sisterhood. What a shame such a selfless act was misconstrued.

3 years after Dreamgirl; it seemed like Diana had it with the required sensationalism and media interviews Mary had to do. Little did she know what was coming with RTL.

Does anyone think she was justified in declining to receive Mary?

Kind of like the Queen Mother refused to receive the Duke of Windsor - “after what he’d done”

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    3 years after Dreamgirl; it seemed like Diana had it with the required sensationalism and media interviews Mary had to do. Little did she know what was coming with RTL.

Kind of like the Queen Mother refused to receive the Duke of Windsor - “after what he’d done”
    When I first read the story, I thought Diana could have met with them, if only for Turkessa's sake. But Diana had already stated for publication that her heart had been broken and she found it hard to stay close. I gather things have gotten better as I recall a later interview where Mary said Diana and Turkessa do communicate. I hope it is true.

Me too .......

Is Turkessa REALLY Diana's Goddaughter? Or is it like one of those Whitney Houston things where everyone and their sister is Nippy's Gmama.

I mean, if Diana didn't attend Mary's wedding, there's little chance she attended T's christening.

If there's a private party that you're clearly not invited to, public space or not, it takes some big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Is Turkessa REALLY Diana's Goddaughter? Or is it like one of those Whitney Houston things where everyone and their sister is Nippy's Gmama.

I mean, if Diana didn't attend Mary's wedding, there's little chance she attended T's christening.
    In her second book, Mary wrote that Diana accepted Mary's invitation to be Turkessa's godmother and the girl was baptized in 1979.

In her 1987 US interview, Diana also mentioned being Turkessa's godmother.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In her second book, Mary wrote that Diana accepted Mary's invitation to be Turkessa's godmother and the girl was baptized in 1979.

In her 1987 US interview, Diana also mentioned being Turkessa's godmother.
    I did not know that! Thank you!

What was always interesting to me was there were some major stars from Motown that wanted nothing to do with Motown 25 including Diana, Marvin and Michael to name a few. I could never figure out if it was because of Suzanne De Passe or Berry Gordy. To me that was the beginning of a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    If there's a private party that you're clearly not invited to, public space or not, it takes some big ones.
    Bottom line mb lol.... It did rather smack of desperation.

We can certainly speculate all we want. It is obvious that they are still somewhat cordial with each other despite what the media perpetuates. There are probably many private things that they need to communicate with each other and at ages 76 I do not see that happening. For Motown 25, Diana was dealing with not only reuniting with the Supremes but also being on RCA and celebrating Motown and Berry Gordy after she had left them. Mary was dealing with celebrating Motown after they had dropped her 3 years earlier and reuniting with Diana after some hot and cold friendship moments. For RTL, the rumors were out there for over a year and Diana waited and just called Mary so that the business would start rather than meeting together to discuss the tour and ideas. Besides the monetary offer being somewhat degrading so was the treatment, which Diana later said in an interview was all that Mary had to do was show up. So on one side we had someone acting too grand to even communicate properly and on the other side someone who was hurt yet did not communicate properly on what they really wanted and how they felt except through the media. I am just happy they are both looking so beautiful, can sing and entertain so well at 76. I'll leave it at that even though the dream of them reuniting is not a dream that will come true.

In a way, you summarize the real personal issue some at Motown had with Diana - here she was, Diane from the Projects, and she became so grand and successful - and many felt forgotten - by her, Motown, the media. And they all been together in those buildings and on the buses, with very basic beginnings

I always stay out of these RTL discussions. But Diana did try to extend the olive branch by calling Mary. Mary was the one with the funky attitude. Diana should have ended everything right then and there, after that call. I do agree that discussions should have happened first, then the business discussions should have followed. I also think too much emphasis is put on Diana’s comment about Mary just having to show up. She was talking about financial responsibilities.

I do wonder if Mary and Diana's beef would have been settled by now had Flo lived considering she saw Diana in a better light and reached out to her before she passed.

It’s my understanding that Diana Ross had the same type of personality in the days before the hits. I got this from someone who grew up with her. She always thought highly of herself and carried herself that way, and did it well enough for folks to still see her that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitt1204 View Post
    It’s my understanding that Diana Ross had the same type of personality in the days before the hits. I got this from someone who grew up with her. She always thought highly of herself and carried herself that way, and did it well enough for folks to still see her that way.
    Maxine Powell said the same thing.

of course she was justified, Mary was only pushing the point to stir up trouble. She knew Diana didn’t want anything to do with her and stubbornly and childishly parked her self outside of the dressing room trying to force a confrontation like she did at Motown 25. Diana was not having it. Then Mary goes to the party uninvited and acts like She’s somehow been hurt. I lost every ounce of respect for her I had when she did that that night and was crying on national television pretending not to know why Diana was refusing to see her. That’s as phony as phony can be. It’s just so fake of her to pretend that she has no idea what Diana‘s problem is with her. She’s like Donald Trump insisting on election fraud. Mary will just say anything.

And let’s face it, if Mary really was hurt that their friendship was over in the 70s and 80s, she should seek psychological help. They were work friends for 10 years and then went their separate ways it’s quite normal to move on. Mary used her for attention whenever she could.
    if Mary is being truthful and that she misses Diana‘s friendship so much, it reminds me of the movie Chuck and Buck who haven’t seen each other in 10 years and one is obsessed with the other and can’t give up the fact that their lives have moved on. I highly recommend it although it is absolutely the most uncomfortable nerve-racking embarrassing film to watch, but there’s a brilliant comic performance in it. Personally I don’t think Mary really does feel that way because I know for a fact that she had nothing good to say about Diana from the day Cindy joined the group, I think she just wants closeness now so that maybe they could do some sort of reunion and get some money out of it. Or at least she would get some Press.

Wilson had a chance to grandstand, and grandstand she did. Red dress and all. Do your research. Mike drop.

in Randy's book, he writes about Mary visiting Diana backstage and discussing writing her book. Diana asks what is the book about and Mary states "well no one wants to read about me. It's about us - The Supremes"

that sort of sums things up

By herself, Mary hasn't been able to really lock onto something that seems to really work other than being a "former Supreme." it seems to me that Mary defined happiness and success as being a top pop act and singer, living the glam life, jet setting about. Unfortunately her music career from the mid 70s on really did provide for that. Will certainly give her credit for trying and trying again.

I've said many times before that other genres or areas might have been more to her calling. and while they may not have been big time and big money pop successes, it would have been just a different kind of success.

But instead she's worked using the Sup legend and capitalizing on bits of sensationalism here and there along the way.

the Sups petered out in June 77 and then in fall 77 hit the news with her lawsuits

in 79 she had hoped to spark interest with her solo debut

81 she tried grabbing spotlight around the show Dreamgirls

83 was motown 25

86 was her book release

89 was the fiasco with Diana and the Working Overtime stunt

and on and on it goes

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    of course she was justified, Mary was only pushing the point to stir up trouble. She knew Diana didn’t want anything to do with her and stubbornly and childishly parked her self outside of the dressing room trying to force a confrontation like she did at Motown 25. Diana was not having it. Then Mary goes to the party uninvited and acts like She’s somehow been hurt. I lost every ounce of respect for her I had when she did that that night and was crying on national television pretending not to know why Diana was refusing to see her. That’s as phony as phony can be. It’s just so fake of her to pretend that she has no idea what Diana‘s problem is with her. She’s like Donald Trump insisting on election fraud. Mary will just say anything.

And let’s face it, if Mary really was hurt that their friendship was over in the 70s and 80s, she should seek psychological help. They were work friends for 10 years and then went their separate ways it’s quite normal to move on. Mary used her for attention whenever she could.
    if Mary is being truthful and that she misses Diana‘s friendship so much, it reminds me of the movie Chuck and Buck who haven’t seen each other in 10 years and one is obsessed with the other and can’t give up the fact that their lives have moved on. I highly recommend it although it is absolutely the most uncomfortable nerve-racking embarrassing film to watch, but there’s a brilliant comic performance in it. Personally I don’t think Mary really does feel that way because I know for a fact that she had nothing good to say about Diana from the day Cindy joined the group, I think she just wants closeness now so that maybe they could do some sort of reunion and get some money out of it. Or at least she would get some Press.
    A round of applause from me for this post. Hopefully we can finally put this to bed and all move on.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    in Randy's book, he writes about Mary visiting Diana backstage and discussing writing her book. Diana asks what is the book about and Mary states "well no one wants to read about me. It's about us - The Supremes"

that sort of sums things up

By herself, Mary hasn't been able to really lock onto something that seems to really work other than being a "former Supreme." it seems to me that Mary defined happiness and success as being a top pop act and singer, living the glam life, jet setting about. Unfortunately her music career from the mid 70s on really did provide for that. Will certainly give her credit for trying and trying again.

I've said many times before that other genres or areas might have been more to her calling. and while they may not have been big time and big money pop successes, it would have been just a different kind of success.

But instead she's worked using the Sup legend and capitalizing on bits of sensationalism here and there along the way.

the Sups petered out in June 77 and then in fall 77 hit the news with her lawsuits

in 79 she had hoped to spark interest with her solo debut

81 she tried grabbing spotlight around the show Dreamgirls

83 was motown 25

86 was her book release

89 was the fiasco with Diana and the Working Overtime stunt

and on and on it goes
    Another honest post. My hands are going to be sore with all the applause i am dishing out today!

A lot to comment on in this thread. I'll try to condense it to a few things that standout.

Gotta agree with Sup on Mary and Cindy's rumored response to the rumored scenario regarding the medley rehearsal. These women were 40 and 40+ still allowing Diana to control things like they were all still 20 something. Couldn't have been me.

Disagree with the idea that Mary was somehow to blame for the embarrassing Motown 25 reunion. That was all on Diana. First of all, again, Mary was 40 years old. If she wanted to come on stage wearing red instead of whatever was agreed upon, so what? Let's not pretend like it would've been gasps if Diana had suddenly changed her wardrobe at the last minute. No one at that reunion, including Diana, should've felt any type of way about Mary wearing red. Diana was probably pissed that she didn't think of it.

If things played out the way they were rumored to, Diana turning around and shoving Mary for any reason other than Mary shoving her first was completely unacceptable. That this is also rumored to be a response to the fact that Mary and Cindy refused to let Diana stand ahead of them like it's 1969 again makes it even more disgusting. That was on Diana, not Mary. And while I think it unprofessional for Mary to call Gordy to the stage when she knew it was not her place to do so, it was 10 times worst for Diana to touch Mary's body in any way, pushing her mic down and yelling at her. That was far more unprofessional than what Mary did, when the correct response to such an out of order occurrence would've been to say something like "Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Berry Gordy". The Supremes reunion was fucked up because of Diana Ross, not Mary Wilson.

Mary B brings up a good point about people growing apart. I made a similar point in the forum once before, that there was a genuine friendship between Diana and Mary as teenagers, and during their early 20s, like millions of other youngsters have had since time began. But where college or young adult experiences might have otherwise ended these friendships, with Diana and Mary, they were bonded together via the Supremes, working together, basically living together. Now one could also make the argument that at some point they became more than friends, that it was family. Sometimes you can't stand your family. The flaws become too much or whatever the case may be, but it's still family. There's that soft spot in your heart for this person and a need to remain connected. Apparently up until Mary's book, this wasn't a relationship where only Mary made overtures to Diana. There were times when Diana sought Mary out also. So obviously there was a need to stay connected on Diana's part. I think if Mary hadn't written her book, or at least had kept some of the Diana related stuff to herself, the two would've continued keeping in touch because they had a need to do so.

While I understand some of the idea behind the "co-workers" thing, the truth is that Diana and Mary and even Florence were not just co-workers no matter how many times some want to reduce the relationship to that. Specifically as it relates to Diana, none of us- I'm sure- would ever think to set up trust funds for a co worker's children, a co-worker we haven't worked with in almost ten years. How about paying for the surgery for a co worker's kid? Ever loaned a down payment to an ex co worker you haven't worked with in a decade? No? Didn't think so. Yes, the original Supremes worked together and were, by definition, co-workers. But that was not the extent of their relationship and attempting to frame it as "co-workers" is disingenuous. Berry Gordy was Diana's boss by definition, but........

As for Mary trying to see Diana after the book, I personally can't blame Diana for refusing Mary to be in my space. I've never viewed Dreamgirl as this complete hatchet job on Diana, but there were definitely some things in that book that wasn't Mary's place to tell. If I were Diana I would've reacted the same way. I would not have considered Mary a friend of mine at that point. I might wish her well, but there's nothing left for us after that. Now, where Diana and I differ, I couldn't refuse Turkessa. Even though I recognize Turkessa was a tool in Mary getting to see Diana, Turkessa was a child who had absolutely nothing to do with whatever was going on between Mary and Diana. I would've sent a message that Turkessa and only Turkessa was free to come back and see me if she wanted. If Mary wasn't okay with that, it would be her right as Turkessa's mother to refuse the offer and take her child home. But Mary would not have been allowed back under any circumstances at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    A lot to comment on in this thread. I'll try to condense it to a few things that standout.

Gotta agree with Sup on Mary and Cindy's rumored response to the rumored scenario regarding the medley rehearsal. These women were 40 and 40+ still allowing Diana to control things like they were all still 20 something. Couldn't have been me.

Disagree with the idea that Mary was somehow to blame for the embarrassing Motown 25 reunion. That was all on Diana. First of all, again, Mary was 40 years old. If she wanted to come on stage wearing red instead of whatever was agreed upon, so what? Let's not pretend like it would've been gasps if Diana had suddenly changed her wardrobe at the last minute. No one at that reunion, including Diana, should've felt any type of way about Mary wearing red. Diana was probably pissed that she didn't think of it.

If things played out the way they were rumored to, Diana turning around and shoving Mary for any reason other than Mary shoving her first was completely unacceptable. That this is also rumored to be a response to the fact that Mary and Cindy refused to let Diana stand ahead of them like it's 1969 again makes it even more disgusting. That was on Diana, not Mary. And while I think it unprofessional for Mary to call Gordy to the stage when she knew it was not her place to do so, it was 10 times worst for Diana to touch Mary's body in any way, pushing her mic down and yelling at her. That was far more unprofessional than what Mary did, when the correct response to such an out of order occurrence would've been to say something like "Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Berry Gordy". The Supremes reunion was fucked up because of Diana Ross, not Mary Wilson.
    i think the blame with the actual reunion themselves falls on both. Throughout the evening, Mary had questionable professional behavior. For instance, there was the speech she had been selected to present. Now i've not read or heard what the original speech included and only know of her actual speech based on her book, about how she saluted Flo and others. While the theme and topic is admirable, to simply change the material 100% during the performance is not acceptable. If she felt so strongly that the words given to her were inappropriate, she simply should have said she couldn't do the segment and let someone else. from a production management perspective, this was grossly unprofessional of her.

during the reunion itself, there's the "shove." Mary has always depicted it as a massive physical assault. in Randy's most recent book, it was more of a "move back" action by Diana. Agree that either is not acceptable and Diana broke that cardinal rule. for M and C to "plot" backstage to do their own choreography is not acceptable either though. Why didn't they simply state during their brief rehearsal "no we aren't going to stand in the back. let's sing together in a row" Again to wait and do this in the middle of the performance is unacceptable. cameras and camera angles were planned based on the marks given to the performers.

Mary's usurping the lead vocals on Someday are also not acceptable.

Then Diana's grabbing Mary's arm when Mary said "berry come on down" is also unacceptable.

Both women handling the situation very poorly

Mary's speech had nothing to do with the Supremes, but I'll concede that in the overall evening, yes, changing her speech without letting TPTB know was very unprofessional.

Regarding camera angles, again, that would be something that folks behind the scenes would care about, not us watching at home or in the actual audience that night, and certainly was not something for Diana to even react to. She should have thought it a good idea to stand together, unless her ego was screaming "Diana in front! Diana always in front!"

Mary didn't usurp the lead to "Someday", she saved it. Mary says Diana stopped singing. I suspect Diana forgot the words to a song she apparently hadn't sung since 1970 and had a minute's worth of a rehearsal an hour or so before. Mary did what she was supposed to do. If you watch the performance, there's a tell tale sign that this is most likely what happened. In the video below, for reference, Mary is singing the lead and then at about 5:36 Diana joins her in the "whoo" part and then at 5:38 Mary gestures to Diana as if to say "Okay, you got it" but as she's doing that, Diana announces Smokey Robinson and so Mary keeps going. To me that's not unprofessional, that's the show must go on no matter what. What were they supposed to do, just stand there until Diana remembered the words?

So for me, when it comes to the actual reunion of the Supremes, Diana is the reason it became a fiasco. Mary however did have some other unprofessional moments that night, as did Diana, like appearing during someone else's performance unexpectedly. I imagine those concerned with the camera angles during Adam Ant's performance would've really lost their minds. Lol

Overall, a disappointing evening for the Supremes and Ross fans; I can still remember being stunned that the "reunion" was over and while everyone else joining them was great, there wasn't really any reunion at all.

Mary Wilson had nothing much to lose and she was sick of playing 8th fiddle and probably more pissed when no one knew who she was and she had to make another entrance out of the bushes.

So she acted up.

I don't know what exactly Diana did. But she was the Queen of the House and she should have put "hands up" even higher like nothing ever happened.

Mary's speech had nothing to do with the Supremes, but I'll concede that in the overall evening, yes, changing her speech without letting TPTB know was very unprofessional.

Regarding camera angles, again, that would be something that folks behind the scenes would care about, not us watching at home or in the actual audience that night, and certainly was not something for Diana to even react to. She should have thought it a good idea to stand together, unless her ego was screaming "Diana in front! Diana always in front!"

Mary didn't usurp the lead to "Someday", she saved it. Mary says Diana stopped singing. I suspect Diana forgot the words to a song she apparently hadn't sung since 1970 and had a minute's worth of a rehearsal an hour or so before. Mary did what she was supposed to do. If you watch the performance, there's a tell tale sign that this is most likely what happened. In the video below, for reference, Mary is singing the lead and then at about 5:36 Diana joins her in the "whoo" part and then at 5:38 Mary gestures to Diana as if to say "Okay, you got it" but as she's doing that, Diana announces Smokey Robinson and so Mary keeps going. To me that's not unprofessional, that's the show must go on no matter what. What were they supposed to do, just stand there until Diana remembered the words?

So for me, when it comes to the actual reunion of the Supremes, Diana is the reason it became a fiasco. Mary however did have some other unprofessional moments that night, as did Diana, like appearing during someone else's performance unexpectedly. I imagine those concerned with the camera angles during Adam Ant's performance would've really lost their minds. Lol

the audio we've heard is not in sync with the video we've seen. because of the altercation and problems on stage, they made edits and so there's a second or two where Diana is actually behind M and C and re-introduces them. the audio has Mary singing "bye, bye, bye, bye" part of the bg vocals but the Mary we see on the video isn't actually singing that. then they've cut to Smokey coming on stage

If the lead singer stumbles over the lyrics, it isn't the role of the bg vocals to simply take over the lead. the smoothest action would be to allow the lead to continue, ad lib and find a way to work themselves back into the song. in mary's book she says that she began singing lead because she thought Diana forgot the words and would come back in. Mary then specifically states she kept singing.

without seeing the entire unedited performance, we're not able to determine exactly what happened. we have Mary's book and Randy's two. IMO Mary approached the evening in a combative manner. She repeatedly didn't follow instructions on where to be and what to sing/say. from a production standpoint, that's wildly unprofessional. Also Diana made it blatantly obvious that she had no desire to be there and for her to approach this massive segment of her career with such indifference is also unacceptable. Her reaction to the happenings on stage were also extremely unprofessional.

so i still say both women share the blame

The only thing I will say about this is why bring your disappointment or resentment or bitterness if any of those emotions fit to the stage. If what everyone is saying is true about Diana being the diva and she had not changed then you should know she wasn't going to change that night so everything you did in front of the camera was to piss off Diana or to get a reaction. Now, I have heard everything said from a shove to shoving Mary's mike down I stand on the fact that Diana should have never touched her but I have yet to see the footage [[THE WHOLE FOOTAGE).

I still say Diana wanted no part of Motown 25 or the reunion so she should have stayed away and especially since learning she was not feeling good. Also, in Biography Magazine years later Mary Wilson explains and talks about what went wrong with Motown 25 and it's more of a revealing story of what she did [[Mary). If you get an opportunity check it out. However, Diana moved on and Mary even after MOTOWN 25 kept saying a reunion is up to Diana. REALLY ?? Even I got it after that Mary.

Even though this topic had been much discussed over the years, i have enjoyed reading fans thoughts and opinions here in 2020. Above all, everyone has managed remain respectful to each other.
    Regarding Diana, i think there is a side to her personality that Motown worked hard to keep hidden from the media. The incident at Wembley Arena in 82, Motown 25 then the dreaded letter and firing of a large chunk of her work force in 83 revealed another side to her persona.
    I think it unfair to lay the failure of this reunion squarely on her shoulders, but she could so easily have taken the higher ground and handled the situation with a little more grace.
    With age and experience comes wisdom, and i’m sure she is a totally different person today.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 12-01-2020 at 08:14 AM.

the audio we've heard is not in sync with the video we've seen. because of the altercation and problems on stage, they made edits and so there's a second or two where Diana is actually behind M and C and re-introduces them. the audio has Mary singing "bye, bye, bye, bye" part of the bg vocals but the Mary we see on the video isn't actually singing that. then they've cut to Smokey coming on stage

If the lead singer stumbles over the lyrics, it isn't the role of the bg vocals to simply take over the lead. the smoothest action would be to allow the lead to continue, ad lib and find a way to work themselves back into the song. in mary's book she says that she began singing lead because she thought Diana forgot the words and would come back in. Mary then specifically states she kept singing.

without seeing the entire unedited performance, we're not able to determine exactly what happened. we have Mary's book and Randy's two. IMO Mary approached the evening in a combative manner. She repeatedly didn't follow instructions on where to be and what to sing/say. from a production standpoint, that's wildly unprofessional. Also Diana made it blatantly obvious that she had no desire to be there and for her to approach this massive segment of her career with such indifference is also unacceptable. Her reaction to the happenings on stage were also extremely unprofessional.

so i still say both women share the blame
    The audio is in sync when it's get to the part I point out above. Like I said, if you look at Mary, she gestures to Diana as if to say okay you got it. That doesn't strike me as someone who purposed it in her mind "I'm gonna steal the lead from Diana tonight".

As to whose to blame for the reunion fiasco, we'll just have to agree to disagree about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Even though this topic had been much discussed over the years, i have enjoyed reading fans thoughts and opinions here in 2020. Above all, everyone has managed remain respectful to each other.
    Regarding Diana, i think there is a side to her personality that Motown worked hard to keep hidden from the media. The incident at Wembley Arena in 82, Motown 25 then the dreaded letter and firing of a large chunk of her work force in 83 revealed another side to her persona.
    I think it unfair to lay the failure of this reunion squarely on her shoulders, but she could so easily have taken the higher ground and handled the situation with a little more grace.
    With age and experience comes wisdom, and i’m sure she is a totally different person today.
    She most certainly is Ollie. She mellowed considerably during the time i worked with her. She remained a diva of course, and we would be disappointed if that diva feistyness ever deserted her! She is capable of acts of great kindness and generosity which often pass under the radar. She helped and supported me through some very dark times and i will never forget that.
    As regards Mary she has been betrayed once too often by that woman. This of course does not excuse some of Diana's antics over the years, but Mary is guilty of some very underhand and downright unpleasant behaviour of her own. The "victim" role has been overplayed too many times and all this bullshit about another reunion being up to Diana is quite frankly yet another tawdry attempt at raising her own dwindling profile.
    Both women have made big mistakes with their behaviour towards each other. They will never share a stage together again, and that will have a far bigger financial impact upon Mary than it will Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    The only thing I will say about this is why bring your disappointment or resentment or bitterness if any of those emotions fit to the stage. If what everyone is saying is true about Diana being the diva and she had not changed then you should know she wasn't going to change that night so everything you did in front of the camera was to piss off Diana or to get a reaction. Now, I have heard everything said from a shove to shoving Mary's mike down I stand on the fact that Diana should have never touched her but I have yet to see the footage [[THE WHOLE FOOTAGE).

I still say Diana wanted no part of Motown 25 or the reunion so she should have stayed away and especially since learning she was not feeling good. Also, in Biography Magazine years later Mary Wilson explains and talks about what went wrong with Motown 25 and it's more of a revealing story of what she did [[Mary). If you get an opportunity check it out. However, Diana moved on and Mary even after MOTOWN 25 kept saying a reunion is up to Diana. REALLY ?? Even I got it after that Mary.
    I imagine Diana had mixed emotions about Motown 25 when you get down to it. I know she had to be talked into doing it, but that probably had more to do with her concerning herself with the negatives [[standing onstage as a Supreme again, being in the company of some select folks from the old days that she may not have been particularly fond of seeing again, and of course any awkward feelings that come with the fact that she and Gordy hadn't been in touch for quite some time and there were hard feelings about how things ended, business wise). But surely, if nothing else, Diana still loved Berry very much, as well as Motown, which was her home since she was 16. Honoring that had to have been tugging at her heart some kind of way, reunion or not.

As for Mary being resentful, uh, is this your first introduction to resentment and bitterness? It is not out of the ordinary for people with that kind of baggage to "act out". What good does your bitterness do if you only get to use it in the comfort of your home and not direct it at the person to whom you feel caused your resentful feelings? Motown 25 offered Mary a stage to "get back" at Diana for decades old bullshit, if that's indeed what Mary called herself doing.

But if Mary stepping forward when you step forward, or Mary calling down to Berry to come on down, causes Diana to lash out physically- even verbally- then as much as we want to point out Mary's mental issues [[resentment and bitterness are issues of the mind) we need to point out Diana's obviously mental issues as well, because that is not the reaction of someone who has it altogether upstairs. That 1983 show put on display that everyone was dealing with a new Mary. That same show seemed to provide everyone with a front row seat to a Diana- hours or minutes away from turning 40- who hadn't progressed from the teenager "pretending" to run down Gladys Horton some 20 years before because she said Diana's dress looked like a nightgown.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 12-01-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Agreed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say she's grown wise enough to not even entertain another Mary reunion. But for all the convos that go on regarding Mary's behavior, and especially Florence's, I feel like Diana's well documented poor behavior is often given a pass because of how great she is as an entertainer. I think all the Supremes should be measured by the same stick or not at all.

Agreed. But for all the convos that go on regarding Mary's behavior, and especially Florence's, I feel like Diana's well documented poor behavior is often given a pass because of how great she is as an entertainer. I think all the Supremes should be measured by the same stick or not at all.
    In that i am in total agreement. One of the good things about this forum is that there are still Ross/Supremes fans with at least one foot in the real world.

Agreed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say she's grown wise enough to not even entertain another Mary reunion. But for all the convos that go on regarding Mary's behavior, and especially Florence's, I feel like Diana's well documented poor behavior is often given a pass because of how great she is as an entertainer. I think all the Supremes should be measured by the same stick or not at all.
    All 3 of the Supremes certainly displayed divaness and poor behavior, simply because they're human. they were young and dealing with incredible stresses and pressures. and all three did good things and helped one another too.

The problem is Diana often is held accountable for every tiny slight she ever committed. Dreamgirl was clearly from Mary's POV and it comes across as quite biased. especially since she doesn't also highlight what Diana did well or how Diana tried to help flo or whatever.

This isn't to excuse or deny Diana's role in the Motown 25 debacle. as i've said all along, both M and D behaved poorly and Cindy was an accomplice with thing. Her just letting it ride along only added to things

The audio is in sync when it's get to the part I point out above. Like I said, if you look at Mary, she gestures to Diana as if to say okay you got it. That doesn't strike me as someone who purposed it in her mind "I'm gonna steal the lead from Diana tonight".

As to whose to blame for the reunion fiasco, we'll just have to agree to disagree about that.
    i'm talking about at 5:27 in the video. Mary is visually singing an Ooooo but you're hearing Bye, Bye,Bye

Cindy Birdsong, what a Saint. She had to put up with so much BS and drama from the first day she came into the group. And yet she always looked like she was having a blast, even at this dreadful "reunion".

this is still going on??? oh dear..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    this is still going on??? oh dear..lol
    But there's a difference...........it's all being done peaceably!

And also, what would we talk about!?

There's no tours, no appearances, no new tv appearances...............it's covidtime

One of the good things about this forum is that there are still Ross/Supremes fans with at least one foot in the real world.
    That's right! Now, once Covid releases it's grip on our lives, I'm positive Diana and Mary will reunite for something.

All 3 of the Supremes certainly displayed divaness and poor behavior, simply because they're human. they were young and dealing with incredible stresses and pressures. and all three did good things and helped one another too.

The problem is Diana often is held accountable for every tiny slight she ever committed. Dreamgirl was clearly from Mary's POV and it comes across as quite biased. especially since she doesn't also highlight what Diana did well or how Diana tried to help flo or whatever.

This isn't to excuse or deny Diana's role in the Motown 25 debacle. as i've said all along, both M and D behaved poorly and Cindy was an accomplice with thing. Her just letting it ride along only added to things
    Not much to argue here, although I would point out that Mary does mention in her first book that both she and Diana tried to help Flo curtail her drinking and that Flo was touched by their efforts. She also took opportunities to point out Diana's greatness, from the Primettes on forward. Obviously Mary was going to tell the story from her POV, it was an autobiography, not an unbiased bio of the Supremes. In the parts of the book where Diana seem to cause some kind of trouble for the group, I can't fault Mary for writing about some of those things. My issue is that Mary wrote about things like Diana's love life, which aside from the relationship with Gordy which had an overwhelming effect on the group, none of that stuff was Mary's business to write about. That's the kind of thing that gets you banned from backstage visits.

It's hard to find fault for any of the things the individuals say about one another via their experiences with each other. I wasn't there- most of us weren't- so all we really can do is take their words for it, keeping in mind that every story, every allegation is from each person's POV. My criticism regarding the measuring stick of behavior was more about the fans. And to be fair, there are definitely times when both Mary and Florence's poor choices in behavior is excused under the guise of understanding how they may have felt with everything going on. The truth is exactly as you say: they were all human. Just imagine if there were a forum devoted to each of us where people dissected out lives and the choices we've made. I shudder to think what would be written about me.

i'm talking about at 5:27 in the video. Mary is visually singing an Ooooo but you're hearing Bye, Bye,Bye
    Agreed, but I was referring to what happened at about 5:37.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Cindy Birdsong, what a Saint. She had to put up with so much BS and drama from the first day she came into the group. And yet she always looked like she was having a blast, even at this dreadful "reunion".
    The expression on her face when she walks out onstage for the reunion, you can tell she really was glad to be there. She looks so excited. What a shame she was cheated out of the experience to do it again at RTL. Hopefully whatever steps Cindy took to start her autobiography can and will eventually pan out into a biography. She's not the most famous person in the music biz, but her story seems like it would be such a great read. Just the fact that she sang in a music group with two of the biggest stars in the world in Patti Labelle and Diana Ross is enough to interest me.

But there's a difference...........it's all being done peaceably!

And also, what would we talk about!?

There's no tours, no appearances, no new tv appearances...............it's covidtime
    Agreed. All we do is regurgitate stuff in this forum. The Supremes have been over since 1977. They rarely offer us anything truly new to discuss. And with even the disagreements being respectful, what's the big deal if we rehash stuff? Gee whiz.

I think someone on here said earlier that none of us were there so none of us know exactly what went down between them. It's a shame Flo is not around to give the other side of the story. Diana was somewhat cordial after Diana left the Supremes I believe. I can even remember seeing pics and stories of Diana attending solo performances of Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong after the Supremes final exit. Now cordial may be a strong word for some but at least there were no hand pulling or shoving. I Remember Diana saying in her book that the behind the back had turned to in front of her face during her final year with the girls. I still say that most of this breakdown happen from the time of Mary's book to Motown 25 or at least that's what broke the camel's back. Also, I remember Diana being pissed over Mary writing about Flo being raped. I Still find it odd that through all this crap that Mary would want a reunion and say its all up to Diana. Also, as far as the stories from Tony Turner, none of those come close to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    ok - i'm gonna stir the pot some more lol

Cindy was an accomplice to this fracas. While she certainly didn't misbehave on stage she was willing to allow things to spin out of control backstage, at least to some degree.

1. she made no effort to counter Diana's dictate that they skip the medley and just do Someday.
    2. according to Dreamgirl, mary spoke with Cindy on their own and said "tonight we're getting equal share. we're stepping forward with Diana. so watch me and move up with me." Now i'm not criticizing the girls for wanting fair presentment. but to do it behind the scenes like this is not a professional approach. again, why not simply say "when we sing Someday, let's just stand together in a row."

Did Cindy shove anyone - no. Did Cindy usurp the lead - no. Did Cindy not stand up for herself again - yes. Did Cindy secretly agree with Mary to change the choreography - yes.

I think someone on here said earlier that none of us were there so none of us know exactly what went down between them. It's a shame Flo is not around to give the other side of the story. Diana was somewhat cordial after Diana left the Supremes I believe. I can even remember seeing pics and stories of Diana attending solo performances of Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong after the Supremes final exit. Now cordial may be a strong word for some but at least there were no hand pulling or shoving. I Remember Diana saying in her book that the behind the back had turned to in front of her face during her final year with the girls. I still say that most of this breakdown happen from the time of Mary's book to Motown 25 or at least that's what broke the camel's back. Also, I remember Diana being pissed over Mary writing about Flo being raped. I Still find it odd that through all this crap that Mary would want a reunion and say its all up to Diana. Also, as far as the stories from Tony Turner, none of those come close to reality.
    the girls started out a teenage friends and singing was a strong hobby and interest for them. As things progressed and they joined motown, Diana began to realize the love and thrill of performing. She began to set her sights on a goal of being a star. She also was willing to work very hard and sacrifice for it. I don't think she actively worked to hold F or M back - it was just that she was on a mission and if they weren't on that same mission or pushing forward for their goals, she couldn't stop and baby them. I do think she wanted good things for them and all but she couldn't forge their paths for them. they had to do it. they had to figure out what it was they wanted to do and what they could do. they frankly had to own their own destinies. as they tried to do things, i agree that she supported them and encouraged them. She was there for mary's debut, she did attend 70s Sups concerts, she was there for Cindy's performance in London.

Mary's public efforts tend to cast herself as a victim of motown's ruthlessness, diana's ambition, the public's indifference to anything but Diana, etc. It has been 50 years since Diana left the supremes. even if some or all of those are true, at a certain point it's mary's obligation to herself and her family to either make it work or move on. No one forced her into these decisions along her career and it's unfair to constantly blame mean old Motown or backstabbing Diana. So at a certain point, it's not surprising that Diana would be sick of the venom from Mary. especially since she was supportive of her.

Perhaps, Diana might have felt it was not Mary's place to disclose about Florence being raped but it certainly explained things and humanized them. The concensus was that Diana was an egomaniac who made Florence's life with the Supremes a living hell and that her push for the spotlight made Florence drink to excess. As Mary's book told the story,Florence had been raped and this caused her to be distrustful of all people. While, dealing with the pain of that rape and being wary as she saw how the Supremes' story was playing out she drank to contend with that pain. Both Diana and Mary curtailed their drinking and Florence was touched to see that caring. Diana was shown to be a friend but completely career driven, her actions were written as to show it was not malice but part of her driven personality. I ended up liking all of them much more after reading Dreamgirl, Diana who was career driven and focused on her goals but not mean or vindictive towards her friends, Florence who was suffering pain from her rape and felt wary towards everyone when she saw that she was soon relegated to only background singing and Mary who was caught in the middle trying to help her friend Flo but being young and inexperienced in how to exactly do it and also standing with Diana as she moved to the forefront which disassembled Mary's thoughts on it being a group.Truly, Mary did not write in ways to disparage her former colleagues and friends. Diana may not have liked Mary telling information as her own book Secrets of a Sparrow contained no real information and was "inspirational" without telling details. Perhaps, it may not have been Mary's "place" to reveal things but she wrote about the rape and now that puts both Florence in a better light and Diana, as well.

I had always wondered if I was the only one who noticed Mary gesturing to Diana as if to say are you ready to resume the lead? I spotted that and I never see that acknowledged.