[REMOVE ADS]

Kim Weston - He's Alright

I'm listening to the Motortown Revue Vol. 2 tonight. I'm enjoying He's Alright by Kim Weston and wonder if there was ever a studio version of the song.

I noticed that the song has a Jobete copyright. I also looked at her 2-CD anthology and don't see the song there.

I just thought it curious that such a great song wasn't recorded in the studio, but was performed on the tour.

I always thought that it was strange that there was no songwriter credit on the original album or the subsequent cd release.

Very interesting. I had hoped that someone would dig up a YouTube or other video that we could see the performance. This is when we really miss someone like Marv2; if there was anything anywhere on this he would dig it up. Long live his legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by superlou View Post
    I'm listening to the Motortown Revue Vol. 2 tonight. I'm enjoying He's Alright by Kim Weston and wonder if there was ever a studio version of the song.

I noticed that the song has a Jobete copyright. I also looked at her 2-CD anthology and don't see the song there.

I just thought it curious that such a great song wasn't recorded in the studio, but was performed on the tour.
    Just that one version and only that one performance and no mention in the paperwork as to who the authors are. No studio version what a shame...

I got this LP new back in the day when I was 12-13 yrs old. Loved playing it on my parents BIG console Tv/Stereo & LOVE the whole show. I thought[[and I will have to look at my LP) that Kim & Mickey wrote "He's Alright". It would be a few years before I ever heard the studio version of "Just Loving You" , which I really love. I had the 45 of "Love Me All The Way" when it was new.

"He's Alright" was originally recorded by the Grandisons and released under the title "All Right" in 1963 on RCA Victor 47-8159. The song is credited to Hayes-Purcell-Mclellen and published by Tuneville Inc. It can be heard at present on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    "He's Alright" was originally recorded by the Grandisons and released under the title "All Right" in 1963 on RCA Victor 47-8159. The song is credited to Hayes-Purcell-Mclellen and published by Tuneville Inc. It can be heard at present on YouTube.
    Thanks for the info!

The Grandisons version even received a British release on RCA, and I had heard it well before I'd heard the Kim Weston live version, so I wonder what the difficulty was in establishing the correct composers and publishing credits.

eive:

wow, the Grandisons version[[original) is great. Hugo/Luigi and Sammy Lowe are big names....how Motown got away with no writing credits is a mystery. Thanks for posting that original I really enjoyed it.

The mystery deepens. The song was covered on the 1963 "Meet the Searchers" LP, but according to discogs.com the writers are Ross and Vanadore.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    It's taken a bit of digging but the writers are Gerard W Purcell, Clark McClellan & Maria Hayes .... Gerard 'Jerry' Purcell obviously had a high profile in the music industry .. but I've drawn a complete blank on the others

Andy