[REMOVE ADS]

Motown's Most Successful Singles From Motion Pictures ?

I count five of them from Motown that made The Top 100 rock era songs [[up to 1991) for movies based on their Billboard Hot 100 chart performance.

The list from the book, HOTTEST HOT 100 HITS, has some guidelines.
    Not just any song used in a movie counts. The song has to be derived for the movie specifically, not simply an inserted oldie or popular tune. Nothing from BIG CHILL.
    An older song qualifies though if the version used in the movie was created for it , as in LA BAMBA as performed by Los Lobos for the Ritchie Valens film biography.
    A cover version of a song from a movie doesn't count [[ Meco's STAR WARS ).
    ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK was used in BLACK BOARD JUNGLE and became a hit because of it , but it wasn't written for use in the movie: doesn't count.

Motown's contributions are :

_________________________ ?????

--------

at #1 is HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE Bee Gees SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

at #45 by proxy, is Motown alumnus Norman Whitfield's CAR WASH by Rose Royce :

Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-21-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Endless Love
    Theme From Mahogany
    Ben
    End of the Road
    The Happening

Good choices Reese. One is correct !!

Reese, I am at loss as to why Theme From Mahogany is not on this list?

Did Diana not record this version for the movie ??

BEN is not included either . Why not ? There is no explanation. It was used over the closing credits , and not considered a part of the movie??

END OF THE ROAD came out in 1992. The list was created in '91.

ENDLESS LOVE ----yes !!
    Diana Ross /Lionel Richie from the movie of the same name

I don't know the happenings around THE HAPPENING .....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-22-2020 at 04:34 AM.

I just called to say i love you

it must have gone to voicemail

Lol. Took me a while.....

"Ben" won a Golden Globe for Best Song. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1973 too. [[no win)

OK ,
    not seeing a reason [[?) to exclude them , [[unless their chart performances were shy of the qualifying totals needed to place on this Top 100?) ... let's modify this list to include both BEN and MAHAGONY'S THEME, increasing the Motown tally to 7 titles.

So there are seven [[so far) Motown titles to be named :

BEN
    THEME FROM MAHOGANY
    ENDLESS LOVE
    and
    I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU
    now being named with three to go .....

#31 - I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU -Stevie Wonder- THE WOMAN IN RED

“It’s my turn” was a top ten record. Maybe it wasn’t big enough to make the list.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 11-24-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    “It’s my turn” was a top ten record. Maybe it wasn’t big enough to make the list.
    Yes good call vgalindo! IT'S MY TURN by Diana Ross reached #9 on the Hot 100 in 1980 and is listed at #75 on this list.

From the movie of the same name :

"Rhythm of the Night" from THE LAST DRAGON.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    "Rhythm of the Night" from THE LAST DRAGON.
    RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT by DeBarge which reached #3 on Billboard's Hot 100 in 1985 is a great answer imo,

but it isn't on this list .....for whatever the reason. [[ ??)

While we're at it though , here's Stevie Wonder's contribution to the film .... a song about having an "UPSET STOMACH" .....lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I am at loss as to why Theme From Mahogany is not on this list? Did Diana not record this version for the movie ??
    The answer may be in your original post: The list from the book, HOTTEST HOT 100 HITS, has some guidelines. Not just any song used in a movie counts. The song has to be derived for the movie specifically, not simply an inserted oldie or popular tune.

I thought I read that the song, originally recorded by Thelma Houston in 1973, was thought ideal for the movie, rather than being written for the 1975 movie. I think I also heard that it almost wasn't eligible to be nominated for an Oscar for this same reason but the Academy relented, for one reason or another. Not definite on this but something I had heard previously, possibly through the SD Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    The answer may be in your original post: The list from the book, HOTTEST HOT 100 HITS, has some guidelines. Not just any song used in a movie counts. The song has to be derived for the movie specifically, not simply an inserted oldie or popular tune.

I thought I read that the song, originally recorded by Thelma Houston in 1973, was thought ideal for the movie, rather than being written for the 1975 movie. I think I also heard that it almost wasn't eligible to be nominated for an Oscar for this same reason but the Academy relented, for one reason or another. Not definite on this but something I had heard previously, possibly through the SD Forum.
    Thanks for your input johnjeb. Unfortunately , I only have a book that contains a list that doesn't explain each rejection , so since i can't explain them , I think I'll put an end to this torturous event. lol!

Here then are the Top Five Motown Movie Singles that meet the criteria to rank placement on this Top 100 list :

#3 - ENDLESS LOVE -Diana Ross and Lionel Richie- ENDLESS LOVE
    #31 - I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU -Stevie Wonder- THE WOMAN IN RED
    #33 - SAY YOU SAY ME -Lionel Richie - WHITE NIGHTS
    #56 - SEND ONE YOUR LOVE- Stevie Wonder - SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS
    #75 - IT'S MY TURN -Diana Ross - IT'S MY TURN

The End

roll the credits

--------------------
    here's a listen to #100:

Another one I thought of, "Who is Johnny" from SHORT CIRCUIT. Was that a Motown cut from DeBarge?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Another one I thought of, "Who is Johnny" from SHORT CIRCUIT. Was that a Motown cut from DeBarge?
    El DeBarge, solo.