[REMOVE ADS]

"It's My Turn" Diana Ross' Vocals/Academy Award Best Movie Song?

This song showcases the emotional depth of Diana Ross' vocal powers. This song should have won an Academy Award for Best Movie Song. Great morning pick me up song. Bravo, Ms.Ross!

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    This song showcases the emotional depth of Diana Ross' vocal powers. This song should have won an Academy Award for Best Movie Song. Great morning pick me up song. Bravo, Ms.Ross!
    One of her best songs, full of emotion. She was leaving Motown and she poured her sadness into this song.

The film's only award nomination seemed to be for a Razzle award.

The song is quite good and well interpreted and it was probably unlucky not to get an Oscar nomination. But with competition like 'Fame', '9 to 5' and [[with an even more emotional interpretation than Diana's imo) in 'Out Here on My Own', it was unlikely to have stood much of a chance that year.

Blame the Reagans. It was probably them who put the kabosh on any giving any extra recognition to Diana Ross or her recordings.

I was at Lincoln Center the night the Reagans attended a benefit performance there. Mr. Reagan did not look any too happy when the opening act -- Ron Jr. and some other dancers -- gave a somewhat lackluster performance and were immediately put to shame once the show's headliner, Diana Ross, stepped on stage. She twirled and turned elegantly and gracefully during what seemed to be an extended ending to her song It's My Turn, wearing one of her first white sheer floating overcoats while jubilantly belting out her defiance and dancing dizzyingly and exuberantly. She was in great spirits and great voice. The Reagans were aghast as everyone forgot the couple was in the audience and forgot the son's performance. The evening belonged to Diana, who sang for perhaps an hour or more.

Too, vindictive Nancy was furious because, in that same time period but not the night of the concert, she and Diana both had a designer gown [[by Galanos, maybe) and she looked like a sack of last year's beans in hers while, on a different occasion, the 1981 Academy Awards, Diana, accompanied by Michael Jackson, looked extraordinarily beautiful and vibrant wearing exactly the same design.

So the Reagans begged their old Hollywood friends to shun Diana Ross, because she was an Academy Award nominee and a superstar and they were nothing and they hated to acknowledge that truth. But 40 years later, the truth persists, and so does Diana!

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Blame the Reagans. It was probably them who put the kabosh on any giving any extra recognition to Diana Ross or her recordings.

I was at Lincoln Center the night the Reagans attended a benefit performance there. Mr. Reagan did not look any too happy when the opening act -- Ron Jr. and some other dancers -- gave a somewhat lackluster performance and were immediately put to shame once the show's headliner, Diana Ross, stepped on stage. She twirled and turned elegantly and gracefully during what seemed to be an extended ending to her song It's My Turn, wearing one of her first white sheer floating overcoats while jubilantly belting out her defiance and dancing dizzyingly and exuberantly. She was in great spirits and great voice. The Reagans were aghast as everyone forgot the couple was in the audience and forgot the son's performance. The evening belonged to Diana, who sang for perhaps an hour or more.

Too, vindictive Nancy was furious because, in that same time period but not the night of the concert, she and Diana both had a designer gown [[by Galanos, maybe) and she looked like a sack of last year's beans in hers while, on a different occasion, the 1981 Academy Awards, Diana, accompanied by Michael Jackson, looked extraordinarily beautiful and vibrant wearing exactly the same design.

So the Reagans begged their old Hollywood friends to shun Diana Ross, because she was an Academy Award nominee and a superstar and they were nothing and they hated to acknowledge that truth. But 40 years later, the truth persists, and so does Diana!
    This is hilarious. I find it extremely hard to believe that the President of the United States and the First Lady who had way too many pressing issues to address would worry about whether Diana Ross was going to get a nomination for the title song of a failed movie and go to any lengths to try to stop it.

I'll have some of what you're smokin' cuz u be trippin'

make that two sacks of last year's beans.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I find it extremely hard to believe that the President of the United States and the First Lady who had way too many pressing issues to address would worry about whether Diana Ross was going to get a nomination'
    Reagan wasn't even President at the time of the 1980 Awards.

What an odd story. I can't really imagine the Reagans cared unless one or both of them were nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What an odd story. I can't really imagine the Reagans cared unless one or both of them were nuts.
    As an American I can assure you that both Ronnie and Nancy WERE nuts, yet my bet would be that they had no idea whatsoever who this Dianne Rose is or was.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    As an American I can assure you that both Ronnie and Nancy WERE nuts, yet my bet would be that they had no idea whatsoever who this Dianne Rose is or was.
    Totally plausible

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    oh brother ,

Ronald Reagan was governor of California the entire time Motown was making the big transition to his state as well as during the period Diana was breaking into Hollywood movies.

But it wouldn't surprise me if by the time of his presidency they [[like most of the Motown artists themselves) had moved on:

I quite like It's My Turn but it would in no way figure anywhere near the top of my favourites list - she's given as many fine vocal performances as on this song.

This track is unusual in that it bucked the trend for Diana in performing much better on the Billboard chart than on Casbox or Record World.

#9 BB and just creeping in at bottom of the top 20 on the other two #18 CB and #20 RW.

The rumour is that Berry Gordy bought the chart position on BB as part of his efforts to keep Diana at Motown - who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post

An extremely perceptive observation ben. It was well known that Nancy Reagan took her wardrobe very seriously indeed. Such a faux pas, no matter how innocent would not easily have been forgotten.

And Diana Ross did not take her wardrobe seriously?

What I'm curious to know is which one wore it first !!?

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I quite like It's My Turn but it would in no way figure anywhere near the top of my favourites list - she's given as many fine vocal performances as on this song.

This track is unusual in that it bucked the trend for Diana in performing much better on the Billboard chart than on Casbox or Record World.

#9 BB and just creeping in at bottom of the top 20 on the other two #18 CB and #20 RW.

The rumour is that Berry Gordy bought the chart position on BB as part of his efforts to keep Diana at Motown - who knows?
    Could be! Bill Wardlow was pretty protective of his charts ,but was it about this time that they started .....mmmm...... slipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

I would imagine boogie that Nancy was a little more OCD about her frocks then Diana. Who on earth knows what dark place she went to upon seeing another woman wearing a very expensive, similar designer outfit to hers. It all seems rather unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I would imagine boogie that Nancy was a little more OCD about her frocks then Diana. Who on earth knows what dark place she went to upon seeing another woman wearing a very expensive, similar designer outfit to hers. It all seems rather unfortunate.
    What seems unfortunate?? Our imaginations?

When the scenario is framed with words like "imagine", and "who knows" it becomes speculative fake news in the style of MSNBC.

What if , could be , perhaps , maybe ....

So in the realm of maybes .... Diana sees Nancy in that dress and says, "I Have to wear that !!!".

Or.... Nancy sees Diana in it and says ......"I have to wear that !"

Or both wear it , never knowing anything of the other and neither could care less.

Who on earth knows is right ....

maybe benross could elaborate , he seems to have an inside track....

Added : just snooping around , I did find this:

One group of dresses probably says more than any other about the queens of Motown and their relationship to fashion and power: the pink caftans with rainbow wings they modeled on the cover of their 1968 recording of the “Funny Girl” score.

They were created by James Galanos, otherwise known as the favored designer of the clotheshorse wife of the then governor of California, Nancy Reagan.

from:https://www.phillytrib.com/nyt/the-u...c48c06d06.html

so there is a correlation here with this designer , [[if he's the one who did the outfit in question?)

but so far nothing nefarious ....???
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-27-2020 at 02:15 PM.

What seems unfortunate?? Our imaginations?

When the scenario is framed with words like "imagine", and "who knows" it becomes speculative fake news in the style of MSNBC.

What if , could be , perhaps , maybe ....

So in the realm of maybes .... Diana sees Nancy in that dress and says, "I Have to wear that !!!".

Or.... Nancy sees Diana in it and says ......"I have to wear that !"

Or both wear it , never knowing anything of the other and neither could care less.

Who on earth knows is right ....

maybe benross could elaborate , he seems to have an inside track....

Added : just snooping around , I did find this:

from:https://www.phillytrib.com/nyt/the-u...c48c06d06.html

so there is a correlation here with this designer , [[if he's the one who did the outfit in question?)

but so far nothing nefarious ....???
    It would seem both frocks were Galanos creations. Unless someone is able to shed more light on the matter boogie, speculate is all we can do. When all is said and done, we all have varying ideas and opinions as to what constitutes a crime. While us men folk might make light of such a coincidence, a women like Nancy might perhaps have taken a far more serious view.

It would seem both frocks were Galanos creations. Unless someone is able to shed more light on the matter boogie, speculate is all we can do. When all is said and done, we all have varying ideas and opinions as to what constitutes a crime. While us men folk might make light of such a coincidence, a women like Nancy might perhaps have taken a far more serious view.
    Ohhh watch it , you're gonna get accused of being sexocentric! [[And there's another couple of those words: "might perhaps"..... of equal value to the assessment : "might perhaps not !")

How did you determine that was a Galanos creation Ollie? I'm ignorant of his work , but in my quick study , that frock as you properly label it , doesn't seem like him... not up to snuff.... again don't quote me.

BTW I have no affinity for nancy reagan one way or another , except to say she strikes me as a loving wife. When you say a'"woman like Nancy" I'm not sure what that means .... oh well ...

N
    Ohhh watch it , you're gonna get accused of being sexocentric! [[And there's another couple of those words: "might perhaps"..... of equal value to the assessment : "might perhaps not !")

How did you determine that was a Galanos creation Ollie? I'm ignorant of his work , but in my quick study , that frock as you properly label it , doesn't seem like him... not up to snuff.... again don't quote me.

BTW I have no affinity for nancy reagan one way or another , except to say she strikes me as a loving wife. When you say a'"woman like Nancy" I'm not sure what that means .... oh well ...
    I must admit, i did post with a small degree of trepidation. It was the short article on Nancy that you kindly posted that mentions she liked his designs. I put two and two together and came up with six.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

This confirms what I always thought about It's My Turn. I, too, love the song and Diana's singing on it. [[I've yet to hear a better interpretation, even Aretha's). But I was quite surprised that it was a Top Ten hit on Billboard. Cashbox/Record World chart placements, based on sales, seem more accurate to me. I think sales figures are more objective indicators, less prone to manipulation than airplay, which may or may not be unduly influenced by those in the record industry. In any case, I was proud that at some time in 1980, Diana Ross had three hits in Billboard's Top Forty at the same time.

This is a beautiful song sung perfectly by Diana. I don’t believe any conspiracies about it’s success. Diana was at her peak career wise. All her recent releases/hits prior to “Its my turn” and right after were top ten hits. So why would this one be different?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    This is a beautiful song sung perfectly by Diana. I don’t believe any conspiracies about it’s success. Diana was at her peak career wise. All her recent releases/hits prior to “Its my turn” and right after were top ten hits. So why would this one be different?
    It's a lovely song beautifully performed and thoroughly deserving of it's success. It is also a personal favorite of Diana's

Your damned right she took her wardrobe seriously! Very seriously. Very very seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Your damned right she took her wardrobe seriously! Very seriously. Very very seriously!
    And I think that's a good thing, don't you?
    Diana Ross did an outstanding job of presenting Diana Ross. I would say moreso especially in the 70s but that might be personal taste of mine . And in the 80s she did her all to be with the times concerning her appearance, although at that point I would say she was chasing more than leading.
    But they all were , look at Patti LaBelle LOL and Tina Turner.

Just on the Reagan thing I read a newspaper article about that Ron Jr/Diana show the other day where it stated the Reagans seemed to enjoy Diana's performance sticking around to the end to sing along and clap their hands to her usual finale 'Reach Out & Touch'.

Watching the new documentary series 'The Reagans' [[featuring recent interviews with Ron Jr) shows me that Reagan really was Trump 1.0 though.

From The New York Times, 16 March 1981

JOFFREY BALLET'S GALA: DIANA ROSS AND RON REAGAN

President and Mrs. Reagan joined hands last night, as did more than 4,000 other spectators, at the Metropolitan Opera House to sway and sing, ''Reach out and touch somebody's hand, make this world a better place if you can.''

Like everyone else in the black-tie audience at a benefit gala for the Joffrey Ballet, they did so at the highly persuasive bidding of Diana Ross, the popular singer who headlined the evening. In one instant, Miss Ross transformed a staid house that had spent the first half of the program politely applauding the Joffrey dancers, including the President's son, into a warm if cavernous living room.

The President and his wife, who were seated in a center parterre box above a specially placed presidential seal, sang along cheerfully in what Miss Ross called her ''audience participation event.'' The sight of row upon row of people rocking from side to side and holding hands in the huge opera house was unprecedented at the Met.

Joffrey Ballet's gala: Diana Ross and Ron Reagan
    It is no secret, however, that the Reagans had attended because it was their first chance to see Ron Reagan dance with the Joffrey II Dancers, the junior company of the Joffrey Ballet. The younger Reagan appeared in ''Unfolding,'' a ballet by Gray Veredon, a choreographer from New Zealand. His parents were both seen observing him through binoculars.

What they saw, as this reviewer has stated before, was a talented dancer who has worked very hard and who has done extremely well for a late starter. In this instance, he pointed his toes and flexed his muscles - as called for by some macho moments in a polished ballet that suggests a courtship ritual between four men and four women. At least he was not the one who dropped his partner. The other members of the good cast were Melissa Zanzola, Ron Reagan's partner, Julie Janus, Edward Morgan, Jeaney McGeary, Jerry Kokich, Lael Evans and Travis Wright.

''Unfolding,'' was the only work presented by the junior company, whose artistic director, Sally Brayley Bliss, was seated next to President Reagan in a box that also included her husband, Anthony A.Bliss, the Met's general manager, Nancy Reagan, Doria Reagan, Ron Reagan's wife, Robert Joffrey, artistic director of the Joffrey Ballet, and Sir John Tooley, head of London's Royal Opera House at Covent Garden.

The evening opened with the Joffrey Ballet itself performing items from its current repertory. Patricia Miller, partnered stupendously by Glenn White was the goddess-like figure carried aloft in what is essentially an adagio act but a very stylish one. Gerald Arpino's sleek streamlined choreography to Shostakovich music is full of tricky tosses and spectacular lifts, to which the audience responded enthusiastically. Jerel Hilding, Andrew Levinson and James Canfield were the other members of Miss Miller's faithful retinue and they were superb.

This accent on physical thrill surfaced again in ''Return to the Strange Land'' by the Czechoslovak-born choreographer, Jiri Kylian. Mr. Kylian dedicated his work to the late John Cranko, director of the Stuttgart Ballet, and usually this is a ballet that has a strong elegaic feeling. Somewhere, some of the solemnity was lost in a gala atmosphere and one was content to look at beautiful bodies doing incredible things. Mr. Kylian constructs some shapes that look unorthodox, even to those of us who have been going to the ballet for some time. The dancers executed them all devotedly: Beatriz Rodriguez, Gregory Huffman and Glenn Edgerton in the first tiro, Cynthia Anderson and Mr. Canfield in the major duet, with Ross Stretton joining the last section.

Luis Fuente, as virtuosic as ever in his turns, led the final excerpts from Mr. Joffrey's ''Postcards,'' featuring also Mr. Stretton and Denise Jackson with an ensemble. The mood was of shipboard romance.

As for Miss Ross, she created a sensation. She had only to rise with a trap door elevator, enveloped in fog of dry ice and a plethora of white pelts. The place went wild. ''I'm very happy tonight,'', she said. The Joffrey should be too. The house was sold out with box seats going at $625 each. Anna Kisselgoff

"It's My Turn" is a beautiful song and Diana sang it beautifully. Aretha did a great cover of it. Usually whenever the Queen sang someone else's song, the effort she puts into it would often eclipse whomever did it first. This was not one of those occasions. Where Ree turned out a brilliant vocal performance, Diana's came across as a more lived experience. I could imagine Diana writing the song herself, if she had that kind of writing talent.

N

I must admit, i did post with a small degree of trepidation. It was the short article on Nancy that you kindly posted that mentions she liked his designs. I put two and two together and came up with six.

Ha !
    Will we ever get to the heart of this story and that dress ??

I checked out Kitty Kelley's unauthorized mud slinging biography of Nancy Reagan
    and there's no mention of Diana Ross in its glossary. Seems a likely place to have found such juicy high profile dirt ....

Ha !
    Will we ever get to the heart of this story and that dress ??

I checked out Kitty Kelley's unauthorized mud slinging biography of Nancy Reagan
    and there's no mention of Diana Ross in its glossary. Seems a likely place to have found such juicy high profile dirt ....
    The dotted dress and other such scandals are probably documented in dear Nancy’s personal diary, hidden deep within an underground bunker at a a location scarcely known to man. I’m sure all will be revealed one day.

The dotted dress and other such scandals are probably documented in dear Nancy’s personal diary, hidden deep within an underground bunker at a a location scarcely known to man. I’m sure all will be revealed one day.

he haw ! She probably had it claused that no enmities between her and Diana Ross be disclosed until fifty years following her death.

here she is again looking starry in the famed bean dress , not bad , but its a challenge to dazzle fashion wise in a situation that includes someone wearing a tiara and five pounds of jewels
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-02-2020 at 02:34 PM.

he haw ! She probably had it claused that no enmities between her and Diana Ross be disclosed until fifty years following her death.

here she is again looking starry in the famed bean dress , not bad , but its a challenge to dazzle fashion wise in a situation that includes someone wearing a tiara and five pounds of jewels
    Nancy looks rather nice in this pic. Almost as good as Diana. I wish I could say the same of our dear queen god bless her. She looks like she’s thinking ‘i wish I could have worn that’.