[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Bluebrock - has Diana ever comments on Waiting? does she like the song? i know it was sort of an oddity that it hit and all. and being from EIE album.
    Yes she liked it - eventually.
    Initially she was pleased but rather puzzled by it's success. I think she grew to like it when it was met with such a thunderous reception whenever she performed it. She called it "my baby"for some reason that she never explained, and even came out with a few digs at America's indifference to it. "They don't know nothing"is what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes she liked it - eventually.
    Initially she was pleased but rather puzzled by it's success. I think she grew to like it when it was met with such a thunderous reception whenever she performed it. She called it "my baby"for some reason that she never explained, and even came out with a few digs at America's indifference to it. "They don't know nothing"is what she said.
    in Randy's book, he states that Waiting was stuck in the "Mountain aftermath." After such an amazing and iconic recording, pretty much anything and everything after would pale. at least until enough time had passed.

personally i think Surrender would have been the best song to release after Mountain. it whips up a similar hysteria but is different enough of a song. Remember Me then makes a fine follow up to help bring us down from these wildly high songs.

Of the non hits, my vote goes to "A Breath Taking Guy". I never understood why the song didn't do any better than it did, until someone in the forum opined that by the time of it's release it already had a dated sound. I thought about that and ended up agreeing. When you compare it to a lot of what was coming out of Motown at that point, "Breath" does sound like it's time had come and gone. It should've been released in early 1963 instead of "My Heart Can't Take It No More". I suspect it may have done better. Still, #75 just seems like such a low placement for such a great song.

Regarding the hits, I think "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" is the most underrated. It doesn't seem to get the love that the other biggies seem to get. I agree with Johnny that the song is such a departure from the previous singles. The maturity and drama of it all made for one of their most soulful efforts and one my all time favorites.