[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

your most underrated Supremes single and why

of all the A sides released, which do you think is the most underrated song? it can still have been a huge hit or a #1. maybe it's one that sort of seems to just be overlooked or forgotten. or maybe it didn't chart as you felt it should

but then why do you feel that way?

i'm going to pick 2. both are favorites of mine and neither charted [[in the US) as I felt they should

Automatically Sunshine - i adore this song. it's so fun and such a "feel good" song. the harmonies are stellar and it's just infectious. I also really like how each Sup shines, even just a bit. this is one of Mary's sexiest vocals - on another post i commented how another author described her as taking on the role of wise flower child murmuring her fun and sexy lines. Jean is great too. she's strong and confident. an anchor for the other two. While i would like Cindy to have a little more to do, her ad libs are so seductive and sexy. very Marilyn Monroe

Let Yourself Go - this is probably the best dance song IMO that the girls released. it's just an excellent party song and makes you get up on your feet. Scherrie is a dynamo and able to just slice through this heavy dance track. M and Susaye offer up excellent vocals and the 3-part harmonies are spot on. this should have been the lead single off of MS&S. as the follow up to Walking, it might have done better. in reviewing the disco charts at the time, looks like airplay and club play was split around the country. some jumped on Driving Wheel but many jumped on LYG. perhaps that led to the overall poor showing for Wheel and how it didn't really make a strong jump from the disco charts to pop. plus Wheel is a bit overwhelming to just listen to on the radio as opposed to the dance floor.

Forever came today- Underrated. Such a great song.

Love is here
    I’m gonna make you love me

Two of my favorites, but they seem to be forgotten or overlooked.

IGMYLM is excellent and you're right - people don't really remember it as a mega hit between two of the biggest super groups of the 60s

seems like later duets with Diana and Lionel or Paul McCarthy and Michael had much more long-term recognition

My world is empty without you. My absolute favorite Supremes single ever. I know it was a big hit in the USA but it should have been a no.1.
    Another very underrated tune is Forever came Today. A gloriously creative effort that is nothing like any other Supremes songs. Could and should have been huge.

I think there are three of my favorites that should have done much, much better on the charts-Automatically Sunshine[[excellent song and direction for their sound to go), I"m Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking[[standout song with great vocals by Scherrie, backing by Mary & Cindy, adlibs by Susaye with a great sound and beat) and Let Yourself Go[[should have been the first single off MSS-great for the dancefloor and radio-a very happy song with a great beat and sound). Also Forever Came Today was an interesting DRATS tune that broke the mold and should have charted higher.

Forever Came Today, without a doubt. A little more dramatic and adult than the bigger singles we all love, with a great arrangement and extraordinary singing by Diana; lots of unexpected inflections in her lead vocal.

Run Run Run, for it's sheer sense of excitement.

FCT for me. The strength of Diana's vocals warranted a much more compelling drum track than the [[presumably) LA one. A great song.

Also, Back In My Arms Again failed in the UK. For me this song really captures the group dynamics well. It really deserve to be a success here.

Forever came today - really melodic, beautiful lyrics, and so well produced.

He's my man - the fabulous sound of the 'new' Supremes following Jean's departure. Energetic, sung amazing well [[I particularly like the long version).

Love Is Like An Itching in my Heart and Nothing But Heartaches

Love Is Here and Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart. I remember I could tell I was catching a crush on a guy I worked with and was trying so hard to avoid it. I drove home one night and Love Is Like An Itching came on the radio and I never identified with song lyrics more than ever at that period of my life lol.

1. Nothing but heartaches...love it.it doesn't get the props it deserves.
    2.love is an itching in my heart.
    Great dance groove.
    3.FCT. needs a new mix.
    4. Automatically sunshine.agree with above.feel good song.
    5.gonna let my heart do the walking.tremendous return to form. Wtf.
    Should have been huge but remained on charts for 14 weeks.
    6.let yourself go. Classic dance hit

Oops forgot 70s: Automatically Sunshine and You're Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love.

I can think of a lot of B sides and album cuts that could have been hits, but I honestly cannot think of one A side that deserved to be a bigger hit than it was. All the number ones deserved it, the ones that made top ten but did not hit number one seemed logical at the time, and the ones that were lesser hits [[like top 30 or whatever) also seemed to make sense. So their chart action always made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I can think of a lot of B sides and album cuts that could have been hits, but I honestly cannot think of one A side that deserved to be a bigger hit than it was. All the number ones deserved it, the ones that made top ten but did not hit number one seemed logical at the time, and the ones that were lesser hits [[like top 30 or whatever) also seemed to make sense. So their chart action always made sense to me.
    I agree, although as a die-hard fan I had always hoped for higher chart placements, for each release.

I was in high school and college 63-71. What I heard from my peers about Supremes releases, if they spoke about them at all, pretty much reflected chart activity, both local and national, of a particular release, much to my disappointment.

I actually think many of The Supremes releases, particularly after Reflections, may have charted higher simply because it was The Supremes. There were a lot of great, or even better, Motown songs that never even reached the Top 10.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 11-20-2020 at 01:36 PM.

I’ve always thought ”Why [[Must We Fall In Love)” a terrific song and one of the highlights on the ‘With The Temptations Album. Im not sure it was ever released in the USA, but reached 31 in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I’ve always thought ”Why [[Must We Fall In Love)” a terrific song and one of the highlights on the ‘With The Temptations Album. Im not sure it was ever released in the USA, but reached 31 in the UK.
    Love Is Here And Now You’re Gone - One of my absolute faves and a bit of a departure; this one is more mature and dramatic than many of the previous hits. Of all of the Supremes’ #1 hits, this one and The Happening seem to get overlooked most often.

Forever Came Today - FCT should have been a bigger success for a few of the same reasons—I loved this production....

Nothing But Heartaches - This was my first ever single purchase [[with photo sleeve!). I didn't think it was a #1 [[but I hoped). It should have been at least Top Ten [[and it was on Cashbox and here on L.A. Top Forty radio).

My World Is Empty Without You - I think this was a potential #1. But competition was very strong in early 1966, so I was very disappointed.

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart - I think it was a brilliant move after I Hear A Symphony and My World Is Empty but, again, 1966 was a very competitive year in Pop. I was happy it was a Top Ten Pop hit. [[Was it #1 R&B?)

Stoned Love - Was a potential Pop #1. 1970 was another very competitive year in Pop.

Nathan Jones - Love this one. It was so different for The Supremes. I don't know why it wasn't at least a Top Ten Pop hit.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 11-20-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Should've done better:

FOREVER CAME TODAY.... Top 15
    I'M GONNA LET MY HEART .....Top 10
    NATHAN JONES .....Top 10
    UP THE LADDER ....Top 3

why ? they deserved it !

added: lucky2012 , I agree with each !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-20-2020 at 04:15 PM.

“Bad Weather” was so hip to the time period it was released. It had a great beat to “Bump” [[the dance) to. Vocals were great. Stevie was hot. Jean saaaaaaaang...But, most people don’t know that it exists. I went to see Mary in concert. She saw me singing along when she performed BW and forgot the words because she was so shocked that I knew it.

I saw Mary in 2002 [[I think) at a state fair in Dallas and she did BW, Kpitt--she asked the crowd if she could do it for them even though most people didn't know it. The whole show went over extremely well--tons of people there!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    I saw Mary in 2002 [[I think) at a state fair in Dallas and she did BW, Kpitt--she asked the crowd if she could do it for them even though most people didn't know it. The whole show went over extremely well--tons of people there!
    i saw mary once and she did it but for the sound check prior to the show. she didn't actually sing it at the show

I think with a new mix your wonderful sweet sweet love could have been a hit...

"Stoned Love" should have been a #1 hit. Period.

"Nathan Jones" should have easily been Top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    "Stoned Love" should have been a #1 hit. Period.

"Nathan Jones" should have easily been Top 10.
    Stoned Love is an all time classic. It went top 3 here in the UK and had the girls been here to promote it i have little doubt it would have gone all the way to no.1.
    Nathan Jones went top 5 without any promotion from the girls. I'm sure it would have gone top 3 had they appeared on Top of the pops and other shows.
    They were both fantastic songs.

Don't know where they were during this period.
    I remember them singing Nathan on the Tonight Show.
    One minute they were all over tv ...than they disappeared

I would add Bad Weather.
    Love the vocals.lyrics.
    Something is missing for me.

If I’m correct they were on your during the summer
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Don't know where they were during this period.
    I remember them singing Nathan on the Tonight Show.
    One minute they were all over tv ...than they disappeared

I had heard [[perhaps on SDF) that Forever Came Today was unfinished when HDH left Motown. Any truth to this? If so, who would have finished it? Also, I am sure this has been addressed before, but is there any unfinished material on the Supremes or Tops that HDH had when they left Motown?

Mostly everything has been released but perhaps the forth coming Reflections expanded edition may share light on this as it was the last album with HDH.
    george may be able to share some thoughts.....

Mine would be You're My Driving Wheel. I adore this song.

My pick for most underrated Supremes single is "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking". The song really packs a punch with both it's melody & groove [[not to mention a great lead vocal by Scherrie Payne). I say the song deserved to be a disco & pop hit.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 11-22-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Stoned Love is an all time classic. It went top 3 here in the UK and had the girls been here to promote it i have little doubt it would have gone all the way to no.1.
    Nathan Jones went top 5 without any promotion from the girls. I'm sure it would have gone top 3 had they appeared on Top of the pops and other shows.
    They were both fantastic songs.
    it's always been so puzzling to me that there seemed to be a total lack of coordination between the release schedule and the tour schedule. for the most part there were general waves of releases so it's not like they didn't have an idea of when SOMETHING was going to be released. even if they didn't know exactly what yet. i would have thought better coordination between the tour would have resulted in much better charting and sales

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's always been so puzzling to me that there seemed to be a total lack of coordination between the release schedule and the tour schedule. for the most part there were general waves of releases so it's not like they didn't have an idea of when SOMETHING was going to be released. even if they didn't know exactly what yet. i would have thought better coordination between the tour would have resulted in much better charting and sales
    Yes it was very puzzling. I can only assume they had more pressing commitments in the States. Radio 1 was very much behind the 70's Supremes as indeed they were with Diana. It's amazing that I'm still waiting was such a huge hit without any promotion whatsoever. Diana herself told me she was vaguely aware it had been released as a single over here, but she was astonished to hear it had hit no.1. She had to learn the lyrics in order to perform it on her UK tour in 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My pick for most underrated Supremes single is "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking". The song really packs a punch with both it's melody & groove [[not to mention a great lead vocal by Scherrie Payne). I say the song deserved to be a disco & pop hit.
    Indeed, all around. I guess I don't consider it 'underrated' as here in the NYC metro area it was quite a good-sized hit.

Yes it was very puzzling. I can only assume they had more pressing commitments in the States. Radio 1 was very much behind the 70's Supremes as indeed they were with Diana. It's amazing that I'm still waiting was such a huge hit without any promotion whatsoever. Diana herself told me she was vaguely aware it had been released as a single over here, but she was astonished to hear it had hit no.1. She had to learn the lyrics in order to perform it on her UK tour in 1973.
    yes Jean didn't tour UK until fall of 71. she'd been in the group nearly 2 years!!! during the Diana era

during the 60s the girls had these international tours [[not counting Canada)

Oct 64 - UK
    April 65 - Motown tour of Europe
    Sept 66 - Orient
    Oct 67 - Mexico for Tarzan taping - did they perform on stage anywhere on this trip?
    Jan - mid Feb 68 - europe [[talk of the town tour)
    June 68 - germany, don't have any more info than that
    Nov 68 europe tour, command performance
    Dec 70 - Caracas, Venezuela
    Nov 71 - UK Tour
    April 72 - Australia tour [[cancelled)
    Oct 72 - Mexico
    June 73 - japan
    May 74 - Japan
    June 74 - Australia tour
    Oct 74 - japan
    Sept 75 - UK
    May 76 - Europe
    July 76 - Caracas, Venezuela
    Jan 77 - europe
    late april - June 77 - europe

You forgot the South African tour after they did the U.K. in 75
    yes Jean didn't tour UK until fall of 71. she'd been in the group nearly 2 years!!! during the Diana era

during the 60s the girls had these international tours [[not counting Canada)

Oct 64 - UK
    April 65 - Motown tour of Europe
    Sept 66 - Orient
    Oct 67 - Mexico for Tarzan taping - did they perform on stage anywhere on this trip?
    Jan - mid Feb 68 - europe [[talk of the town tour)
    June 68 - germany, don't have any more info than that
    Nov 68 europe tour, command performance
    Dec 70 - Caracas, Venezuela
    Nov 71 - UK Tour
    April 72 - Australia tour [[cancelled)
    Oct 72 - Mexico
    June 73 - japan
    May 74 - Japan
    June 74 - Australia tour
    Oct 74 - japan
    Sept 75 - UK
    May 76 - Europe
    July 76 - Caracas, Venezuela
    Jan 77 - europe
    late april - June 77 - europe

Also the tour to Mexico in 74 when the famous fire that destroyed many of the DRATS era gowns

Also the U.K. tour in 73 I know I did 3 separate post every time I send one I remember another one lol

lolol! oh you're right!! i forgot S Africa. I was going off of my Supremes excel sheet. will add those in!

do you have any dates? or even months?

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Also the tour to Mexico in 74 when the famous fire that destroyed many of the DRATS era gowns
    ok - i just checked my file and i do have Feb 74 in Mexico City. just missed it that was the one with the fire

For South Africa it had to be around October 1975
    lolol! oh you're right!! i forgot S Africa. I was going off of my Supremes excel sheet. will add those in!

do you have any dates? or even months?

yeah according to her book after the LA date [[where they also performed on the Tonight Show) they then continued eventually onto S Africa

There was also the visit to Holland, Belgium, Denmark and UK in October '65

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post
    There was also the visit to Holland, Belgium, Denmark and UK in October '65
    will add that to my excel file too

It's amazing that I'm still waiting was such a huge hit without any promotion whatsoever. Diana herself told me she was vaguely aware it had been released as a single over here, but she was astonished to hear it had hit no.1. She had to learn the lyrics in order to perform it on her UK tour in 1973.
    The story is that Diana was gobsmacked when on her first concert tour afterwards the opening bars were met with thunderous applause and there were standing ovations at the end of it.

Apparently she had to be instructed by Motown to include the song in her act.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    The story is that Diana was gobsmacked when on her first concert tour afterwards the opening bars were met with thunderous applause and there were standing ovations at the end of it.

Apparently she had to be instructed by Motown to include the song in her act.
    She did not realise the sheer impact the song made in the UK until that tour. Despite that it was the early 90's before she made it a staple of her UK set list. Prior to that she only performed it spasmodically.

She did not realise the sheer impact the song made in the UK until that tour. Despite that it was the early 90's before she made it a staple of her UK set list. Prior to that she only performed it spasmodically.
    I believe Diana performed the song 'occasionally' [[rather than the unfortunately applied adjective 'spasmodically'). But, I was not there.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I believe Diana performed the song 'occasionally' [[rather than the unfortunately applied adjective 'spasmodically'). But, I was not there.
    You are quite correct despite not being there. She did indeed perform this great song only occasionally which i do agree is a far better word to describe it than the word i used. I don't think she would be allowed to get away with not performing it these days.

Bluebrock - has Diana ever comments on Waiting? does she like the song? i know it was sort of an oddity that it hit and all. and being from EIE album.