[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross #9 0f 1980 Top 80 Albums per Rolling Stone Magazine

Diana Ross' 1980 album,"diana", is #9 on The Top 80 Albums of 1980 per Rolling Stones Magazine's List. This album still sounds fresh in every groove! I like both versions, Motown's Produced one and Chic's produced one. Bravo!*****
    Last edited by TNSUN; 11-11-2020 at 05:25 PM.

1980 was a big year for Diana, so it's no surprise that she'd rank high. UPSIDE DOWN was huge; isn't it among her best singles ever?

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    Diana Ross' 1980 album,"diana", is #9 on The Top 80 Albums of 1980 per Rolling Stones Magazine's List. This album still sounds fresh in every groove! I like both versions, Motown's Produced one and Chic's produced one. Bravo!*****
    I'm in on every aspect of your statement, TNSUN!

My recollection is she was the top artist of 1981.

I think the Chic version of the album would never have had the success of the Terrana/Ross remix.

Upside Down was hardly changed & I'm Coming Out would always have to have been edited down for a single release.

Releasing the album with the original slightly funkier mixes wouldn't have made any difference to its' chart success [[which mainly came as a result of the singles) in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Upside Down was hardly changed & I'm Coming Out would always have to have been edited down for a single release.

Releasing the album with the original slightly funkier mixes wouldn't have made any difference to its' chart success [[which mainly came as a result of the singles) in my opinion.
    I agree regarding “Upside Down” and “I’m Coming Out”, but Terrana’s remix of “My Old Piano” breaths new life into the song. I certainly don’t think the original version would have made it to UK 5 that’s for sure.
    Although i enjoy both versions, the tighter Terrana remixes with Diana’s vocals brought to the fore are the superior in my estimation.

agreed. I don't think the original mixes would have flopped. there wasn't drastic change. the new mixes just tightened and cleaned things up a bit

I should listen again because I always have thought the mixes were remarkably different.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think the Chic version of the album would never have had the success of the Terrana/Ross remix.
    I agree with you on that. I like the original Chic mixes but I prefer the released versions. Diana's vocals on the Chic mixes are odd at times. They were trying to have her sing in a different style, which doesn't sound like her. She comes across as much more authentic in her vocal delivery on the Terrana/Ross remixes. They also did the right thing by stripping out some of the extra instrumentation on the Chic mixes. It was just too much at times. To me, the released version of the album delivered a fresher sound for 1980, which still hold up today, and the Chic mixes sounded a bit more disco-oriented and dated. They did the right thing.