[REMOVE ADS]

Kim Weston MGM CD available on eBay

Does anyone have any knowledge whether this CD is a bootleg or an original? It is difficult to determine from the listing. The price is astronomical. Nothing in the listing leads me to believe it is legitimate, but I really do not know.

https://www.ebay.com/i/392962668015?ul_noapp=true

I think it is a bootleg. If this had been released, I think it would have made a big splash around here.

Yes, it's definitely a bootleg, made by the guy from Germany. I would love to see an official expanded edition of this album, done similar to this fake one.

Wellll ... the eBay listing is indeed a 'real' cd set, as it exists in a plane of 3 dimensions + sound . It is, of course ... unofficial ... and as I have said previously instead of demonizing someone who has the energy, interest and talent to meet an albeit small public need some enterprising official music executive should enlist his services to create these editions legally. It could be done. But it won't. And most likely no licensed edition of this title will ever exist. Which does no one any good whatsoever!

The only person who benefits from a bootleg is the person who stole someone else's labor. You may get the music you want, but no one actually involved with the production of that music benefits. It's theft of an artist's work. I don't like Universal holding back their back catalogue anymore than anyone else, but that doesn't mean this isn't theft. I suppose whatever it takes to justify it has already been written on other threads.
    Last edited by thanxal; 11-22-2020 at 10:22 PM.

If it weren't for the interest generated by bootlegs, do you really thing we'd ever have got the official cellarful of Motown series?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    If it weren't for the interest generated by bootlegs, do you really thing we'd ever have got the official cellarful of Motown series?
    Can you explain that? I heard someone else mention that in another thread and I was curious as to how bootlegged material led to the official release of this series. I’d love to know.

Isn't it just a matter of supply amd demand?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Isn't it just a matter of supply amd demand?
    I'm in the US, and I guess it seems there was always a big market in the UK for underground/bootleg recordings that seemed to start surfacing back in the 90s, or maybe even before. At least, that's what I've read. I think some of the booklets that accompany the various "vault" series like Cellarfull also talk about that. So I was just wondering if that series evolved from UK fans swapping bootleg recordings of rare vault stuff, pre-download era and all. It was always interesting to me to read about that movement because I think in the US it's another example of other countries and cultures appreciating our music more than we do our own.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I'm in the US, and I guess it seems there was always a big market in the UK for underground/bootleg recordings that seemed to start surfacing back in the 90s, or maybe even before. At least, that's what I've read. I think some of the booklets that accompany the various "vault" series like Cellarfull also talk about that. So I was just wondering if that series evolved from UK fans swapping bootleg recordings of rare vault stuff, pre-download era and all. It was always interesting to me to read about that movement because I think in the US it's another example of other countries and cultures appreciating our music more than we do our own.
    The whole premise of Cellarful [[certainly v1) was to replace those bootlegs circulating amongst fans - my initial thoughts were that these songs should be heard properly - at the right speed and from the master tapes - and that the artists should benefit from their release not some DJ who had hastily cobbled together some dodgy tape or CD. I can well remember lashing out £15 each for some home made CD's back in the 90's and being thrilled about it originally for this is all we could get on the unreleased front. A word with the management at Universal and it was quickly established that the way out of the situation was to get them out there legitimately and so yes you could say that bootlegs were the instigator of the unreleased - released schedule but it's hardly an excuse to carry it on.

Everyone I know who had bootleg tapes bought the official releases, so no one lost out there.