[REMOVE ADS]

Shirley Bassey's 'I Owe It All To You' Album - It's Here

Nice one. Bassey sounds good, the arrangements are great and the orchestra full and dramatic. Kinda sad this type of lp is ending its era. Bonus? I'm sure there was no drama whatsoever in the recording of the lp. None. Really. And truly sad we won't be seeing Bassey belt these songs at Carnegie Hall. Those were the days; 'ya hadda be there.

ps: Bassey sings the hoary, overdone 'You Were Always On My Mind' as if it were written for her. I really didn't think the song would ever move me again.

Well said, Peace. I agree with your well stated review of DSB's new album. It is quite amazing [[I didn't expect anything less) and it does make me sad that this is her swan song. Her voice continues to be in incredible shape and defies her age. The orchestral arrangements are equally beautiful. I also have never cared for "Always On My Mind", because as you said, it's been so overplayed and overdone. However, she did this song supreme justice, as only she could. I hope she will continue to sing and record for as long as she can. It is a blessing to have this new album from her in these challenging times. Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Well said, Peace. I agree with your well stated review of DSB's new album. It is quite amazing [[I didn't expect anything less) and it does make me sad that this is her swan song. Her voice continues to be in incredible shape and defies her age. The orchestral arrangements are equally beautiful. I also have never cared for "Always On My Mind", because as you said, it's been so overplayed and overdone. However, she did this song supreme justice, as only she could. I hope she will continue to sing and record for as long as she can. It is a blessing to have this new album from her in these challenging times. Bravo!
    Carlo - yes, I also agree that this album at this time is perfect. I admire your faith! I feared that Bassey would possibly sound good but ... bored, or removed, from the material, and that the instrumentation would have been done on-the-cheap. Any other heritage performers you'd like to see a similar lp from? I'd like something from Cher other than another ABBA covers lp, and also something less gospel and political from Mavis. 'Mavis and Strings'? On board for that!

Hmmm, yeah I'll have to think about that one...I would also love a new original album from Cher. I really did like her "Dancing Queen" album, but its predecessor, "Closer To the Truth", was even more amazing! Time for another one. I agree in regards to Mavis...I really like her but have been finding her recent albums to all be very similar to each other. I would of course also love a new album from our Ms Ross. She is long overdue

Hearing Shirley sing the Queen song makes me wish she’d reconsider this being her final album and record a Queen/Freddie Mercury songbook album.

Also after all these years of recording, it’s a shame she’s never recorded a Christmas album...

Finally, I would love to hear her sing the other Bond themes in a beautifully orchestrated album. There was a godawful “Bassey Sings Bind” CD released but it was tacky and not worthy of the Dame! She rightfully sued to have the release pulled out of circulation,

Maybe she will change her mind and record some new albums, if this one is successful!

Bassey is amasing her 2009 album had a brilliant track called "This Time" written by Gary Barlow..when my grand father passed away i found in his belongings a "7 inch vinyl ep of "the banana boat song"...i must mix it into compilations im doing for my father who is aged 80 now..Bassey like Aretha Franklin is a huge fan of the work of Judy Garland in Garlands later yrs she would listen to a Bassey album over and over again in my research into lost tv footage I found in the BFI [[British Film Institute) a 1956/57 television apperance still existing i wonder if Bassey knows of it..another refection on her admiration for Garland - Bassey was set to close the 1964 royal variety performace at the london palladium garland was in the audience and they started to chant for judy before Basseys set..Judy took to the stage and sang two well loved favourites backstage Bassey refused to go on and the show ended on Garlands impronto peformance a sweet tribute to the legend..i look forward to hearing her new album

Has anyone received theirs yet? I thought the release date was the 6th and so far the website I ordered from is not showing it as having shipped to me.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Has anyone received theirs yet? I thought the release date was the 6th and so far the website I ordered from is not showing it as having shipped to me.
    I have not yet received mine. It looks like the shipments have been delayed for many retailers, since the UK is currently in lockdown at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    Hearing Shirley sing the Queen song makes me wish she’d reconsider this being her final album and record a Queen/Freddie Mercury songbook album.

Also after all these years of recording, it’s a shame she’s never recorded a Christmas album...
    Now a Dame Shirley Bassey sings the Queen Songbook album would be cool! I can totally hear it. She would knock "We Are the Champions" outta the park!

I also always found it strange that she never did a Christmas album.

I'm thinking of re-ordering her new album directly from Decca's website, which is her label in the UK, as it seems Amazon Canada has no delivery estimate in sight, and I had noticed last week that Amazon US had revised their release date to January. Seems like the distribution right now is understandably a mess.

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet, DSB's new music video was posted today:

https://youtu.be/q8QnR8-IEKY

that was so much fun to watch, and a little addictive. I watched it four times. Great song, great orchestra, great lady.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    that was so much fun to watch, and a little addictive. I watched it four times. Great song, great orchestra, great lady.
    So glad you enjoyed it so much, Milven! It is indeed a great video from a great lady!

One of the "Big Three" British female singers of the 60's... Petula, Dusty, and Shirley...

Lovely; is that Monte Carlo? And, it's nice to see Bassey dressed down and casual

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Lovely; is that Monte Carlo? And, it's nice to see Bassey dressed down and casual
    Yes That is her home in Monte Carlo.

Wow wow wow! Wouldn't it be great if the industry got behind this and made it a bona fide hit? In the top 40 radio days, it would've.

No compromising here , no cheesy synth imitations , no dominating drum track ....no rap insert

this is exactly what a performer her age should be singing [[hello Diana). Vibrant, optimistic, proud.
    Great video. Classy. Thoughtful. Very convincing, Shirley's vocal and visual projection of the message. She ain't done yet , clearly!

So much better than sounding old and bitter [[ hello Stevie, O'Jays) Who wants to hear that as a finale from those who have had so much to be grateful for , who have garnered amazing adventurous lives most would call a dream.

Anyway ,

I'll watch this again for a lift before hitting the road.----

Added: the ending of the video is perfect. She finishes, but even though she's supposedly off , she's on.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-12-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Yes That is her home in Monte Carlo.
    Girl made out pretty well, it seems! Good for her. The new lp is bringing back great memories of the United Artists 70's when a new Bassey lp would 'just appear' in my local record store each year, and every one was excellently produced, arranged, and sung.

Agree!!! The 70s was her decade. Anyone else out there agree that the "And I Love You So" album was her best ever? Too many classic tracks to even list!!!

Best album[[s)?
    Something
    The Performance

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Agree!!! The 70s was her decade. Anyone else out there agree that the "And I Love You So" album was her best ever? Too many classic tracks to even list!!!
    I can't. and shan't, disagree! My personal favorite is probably 'Live, Love, and Feelings', but that's largely due to 'sentimental' reasons!

...loving her Northern-esque ...Look But Don't Touch ...from her new album ...enjoy...!

Grape

I also love that album!

DSB is my absolute favorite. I am thrilled that she is having this moment. A well- produced collection that lovingly showcases her talent. She has enjoyed staggering longevity. To still sound as wonderful as she does at 83 is a blessing...for her and for us.

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    ...loving her Northern-esque ...Look But Don't Touch ...from her new album ...enjoy...!

Grape
    The uploader did not make the video that you posted available in USA, so we couldnt see it. But here it is.

Sounds like the Sassy One has still got some of it!

I love Shirley Bassey and can’t wait to hear this. I know I’ve told the story before but I think it’s funny so I’m going to say it again. My mother introduced me to Shirley Bassey a long time ago and had many of her albums when I was growing up. But she always used to say, “she’s a great singer but you can only listen to her at night!” I don’t know why but somehow that always made sense to me and still does!

The uploader did not make the video that you posted available in USA, so we couldnt see it. But here it is.
    Perfection! I love the lp as is, but another one or two barn-burners such as this would have made it even better [[for me)

Shirley debuted at #5 in the British charts with her new album! Pretty impressive for an 83-year old Dame!

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    Shirley debuted at #5 in the British charts with her new album! Pretty impressive for an 83-year old Dame!
    That's wonderful. I think the British audience is a bit more respectful of its heritage artists - though, here in the USA Streisand gets high debut numbers as well.