[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: RIP Len Barry

RIP Len Barry

Died yesterday at 78. Guess you could say he is worthy of mentioning in a soul context because he had some Motown influence in his music and included some Motown covers in his performances...Mickey's Monkey comes to mind as an example.

Also, his biggest hit "1-2-3" ended up being credited to Holland-Dozier-Holland after a lawsuit was filed over its similarity to "ASK ANY GIRL"

R.I.P.

Len Barry was a GREAT singer and one of the very few White singers I liked in the 60's. The Dovells had some great records with Len on lead. Although I never personally met Len, Dee Dee Sharp, The Orlons & the Crystals always spoke highly of him. Rest In Peace, Len Barry & thanks for the music .

reese: I had never heard that. Not sure I can see the similarity but that might be just me.

Len Barry was very immersed in black music. He had the feel, the emotion and the empathy with the soul music movement. Focusing on the motown 123 issue fails to recognise his major work in Philly. Co-writer with Leon Huff. Helped assist in the creation of MFSB. Worked with WMOT in Philly. Worked with important Philly players such as Bobby Eli. Produced Fat Larry's 'Zoom' Space Bass etc. Proved that the skin colour does not define the talent

So very sorry to hear about Len Barry. His big hit "1-2-3" will always be a favorite and I also like his work with The Dovells. RIP.

Rest In Peace Len Barry. Thank you for the music.

...and a great version of "Would I Love You". I'll miss Len - it took some convincing to get him to do one of our shows - years in fact, and when we came to the event - he was amazing. I love his version of "Somewhere" too

On June 25, 2019, The New York Times Magazine listed Len Barry among hundreds of artists whose material was reportedly destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.

Agree

I also thought Len Barry was a black singer for years , One of my top 100 songs of all time- 1-2-3.