[REMOVE ADS]

Motown - by Pete McKenna

Sorry if this has been posted before ...but just spotted this new book about Motown ...published September 2020

https://www.waterstones.com/book/mot.../9781912587353

Did anyone buy it? Is it any good? Is it another Berry Gordy bio? Does it offer anything new? Who is Pete McKenna? ...the website 'synopsis' doesn't bode well....

Grape

"a white Jewish boy called Al Abrams".

Oye.

Yuk and more yuk

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted before ...but just spotted this new book about Motown ...published September 2020

https://www.waterstones.com/book/mot.../9781912587353

Did anyone buy it? Is it any good? Is it another Berry Gordy bio? Does it offer anything new? Who is Pete McKenna? ...the website 'synopsis' doesn't bode well....

Grape
    There are many errors in the book that will be obvious to this group. No photos either!

There are some Motown books that I have purchased over the yesrs that after reading them, I ask myself why. If I were hungry, and down to my last dollar "Would I buy a sandwich, or this record", or this book for a dollar on the resellers market?
    Conversely, someone new to the site asked what would be the one Motown book that they should read and someone recommended "I Hear A Symphony". I assumed I had it, discovered I did not, and after reading it agree, it is the best book about Motown of the 150 or so that I own. And while I am centered on the Golden Age, and a few years before and afterwards, this book went up to almost the present time, certainly Motown The Musical.