[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    My point being the background vocals on "Good News" aren't among their best. Mary is shouting over Diana, when the harmony would've sounded better the other way around. Not necessarily that Diana should've shouted, but Mary definitely shouldn't have been shouting. I am not a fan of Mary shouting, the Farewell album being another case of this.
    i just listened to Good News again and i don't hear mary on the top note. I do hear Mary louder in the background than Diana. But it definitely sounds like Mary is singing the bottom, Flo's lead lines are in the middle and Diana is above with the soprano background.

Mary's voice is VERY prominent in the bg for Good News. the overall mixing of the song isn't as polished as other sup work at the time. most likely that's the influence of recording this on the west coast.

my understanding of Motown history is that motown engineers jimmyrigged a multi track recording system well ahead of others doing this. that allowed them to control and balance much more of the music

I definitely noticed there were times during the R&H cuts that Flo is on the bottom. I suspect it is here that she might have been having some vocal issues. But it all does come across so beautifully.

One of the mysteries for me is "Good News". Why in the world is Diana doing the lower part of the harmony and Mary on top. The backing vocal would've sounded so much better with them reversed. Trying something different maybe? I don't know.
    Ran - i stand corrected. was chatting with George and you're right. Diana IS singing the bottom harmony. I swear it sounds the other way around but he confirmed that on the tapes you can really tell. odd but hey - always fun to learn these types of things

so have an early christmas present hehehehe you were right and i was wrong

I just wanted to mention that this thread is a perfect example of how valuable the input is on this forum, from not only fellow music fans but our expert professionals, engineers and producers as well. What a wealth of great information.

I remember finding the 1987 CD version of the album long before I had any idea there were any such things left in the vault. I was thrilled to have it. I do agree that the CDs length is probably an issue regarding the one song that didn’t make it, as my recollection is that even the “Dead space“ between the tracks was very very brief, I’m sure to fit as much music on the CD as possible.

But how fascinating it is to learn of these variations of an album I’ve really come to love a great deal. Of course when I was young I never played it; now the concept albums of the Supremes are amongst my very favorites.

And just on a more somber note. I must say I do miss Marv’s input on many of these questions. I think he was a bigger part of the forum than I even realized before. Let’s all remember those we’ve lost this year and treasure those who are still with us.

Thanks all of you for making this forum such a great place.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

so have an early christmas present hehehehe you were right and i was wrong
    Admitting it now is the first step to admitting it the other 364 days of the year when this occurs. Good luck on your journey.

Admitting it now is the first step to admitting it the other 364 days of the year when this occurs. Good luck on your journey.
    lololol at least I'll have the music to help be through the dark days LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I just wanted to mention that this thread is a perfect example of how valuable the input is on this forum, from not only fellow music fans but our expert professionals, engineers and producers as well. What a wealth of great information.

I remember finding the 1987 CD version of the album long before I had any idea there were any such things left in the vault. I was thrilled to have it. I do agree that the CDs length is probably an issue regarding the one song that didn’t make it, as my recollection is that even the “Dead space“ between the tracks was very very brief, I’m sure to fit as much music on the CD as possible.

But how fascinating it is to learn of these variations of an album I’ve really come to love a great deal. Of course when I was young I never played it; now the concept albums of the Supremes are amongst my very favorites.

And just on a more somber note. I must say I do miss Marv’s input on many of these questions. I think he was a bigger part of the forum than I even realized before. Let’s all remember those we’ve lost this year and treasure those who are still with us.

Thanks all of you for making this forum such a great place.
    I think the forum is in a good place at the moment. It is generally a peaceful and respectful place to visit. Some members are more active than others, and some members prefer to read the posts rather than pass comment. We are all here for the love of the music, and in these dark and depressing times it is important we are here to inform, entertain and support fellow members. It is up to us to ensure it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    lololol at least I'll have the music to help be through the dark days LOL
    "Let the music play..."