[REMOVE ADS]

The leads of otis!

Hi temptaholics, now we all know that when it came to leads in the temps-eddie,david,paul,dennis got the lions share as they were the dominate voices of course, but once in a while otis would step to the front and it was always good...from his cool intro on[check yourself]to the miniclassic[don't send me away]the soul doo-wop of[i ain't got nothing]the fun[darling stand by me]or the nice[read between the lines]now these songs may not stand out but i just wanna pay tribute to the last temp standing and just remind folks not to overlook-the leads of otis!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hi temptaholics, now we all know that when it came to leads in the temps-eddie,david,paul,dennis got the lions share as they were the dominate voices of course, but once in a while otis would step to the front and it was always good...from his cool intro on[check yourself]to the miniclassic[don't send me away]the soul doo-wop of[i ain't got nothing]the fun[darling stand by me]or the nice[read between the lines]now these songs may not stand out but i just wanna pay tribute to the last temp standing and just remind folks not to overlook-the leads of otis!!
    Point taken. BUT..."Ain't no one comin' to see you, Otis!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    While Otis Williams' vocals work best in the background of The Temptations, I do like his leads on "I Ain't Got Nothin'" & "Don't Send Me Away".

Love this performance!

I think Otis realized early on that he was the 5th best lead singer in the group and saw his primary role as holding down the background tenor and making the correct moves on stage, worked to make his overall value as the defacto leader, organizer, and off stage spokesperson... I recall personally standing in the lobby of the Mowest studios in West Hollywood one day around the early-mid 80's as the group at that time all showed up to meet and see if Otis was going to let Dennis back into the group... As I stood just a few feet away pretending to not be paying attention to the conversation, Dennis was noticeably nervous about what decision Otis would make and repeatedly asking Ron Tyson what the thought Otis had decided... Actually, the only time I really recalled hearing Otis voice alone on a recording was his one line in Runaway Child... I heard him sing a lead a few years ago during a live performance and quite honestly, Meh...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-06-2020 at 12:16 AM.

Hey stu,you knew the temps,was otis cool with you?

Actually, Paul was my friend from the time I was about 14 until the time he died... I met all the Temps and used to hang out backstage or in the dressing room back in Detroit...Melvin's closest friend as a good friend of mine too... I didn't know Otis too well, just in passing... That day I mentioned I was at Mowest I think we were going to see Russ Terrana and The Temps just happened to be meeting there and Ray Singleton who ran the studio and Norman Whitfield Jr were there too that day...

Otis does a fine job on "This Guy's in Love With You" from "Live at London's Talk of the Town".