[REMOVE ADS]

Tammi Terrell Oh What A Good Man He Is Background Vocals

I may have asked this before but does anyone know who the ladies are that sing the backgrounds on Tammi's Oh What A Good Man He Is? I seem to recall something being said about the Waters Sisters?

I was listening to this one recently and loving it! I was also surprised to discover it's written and produced by Smokey Robinson.

Apart from the lyrics, I thought it didn’t really sound like a Smokey tune… not sure why, too bluesy and funky, perhaps.

Now let’s appreciate this awesome video … I wonder who made it

Love it!

According to liner notes in the "Come On And See Me" Hip-O release from 2010, the track was recorded August 1, 1967, background vocals recorded August 5 and lead vocal recorded August 16 and re-cut August 25, 1967.

No word about who the back up singers are.

The essay, written by Daphne Brooks, states:
    "Later in '67 Tammi Terrell experimented with stretching her vocalizing. Her third Motown solo single, "What A Good Man He Is", written and produced by another new partnership, Smokey Robinson and Al Cleveland, rode the wave of the burgeoning soul movement led by the likes of a newly reinvigorated Arethe Franklin, fresh from her turbulent, gospel-inspired, recording sessions at the Muscle Shoals recording studio in Alabama. Its release, however, came just before a lurking tragedy struck."

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I was listening to this one recently and loving it! I was also surprised to discover it's written and produced by Smokey Robinson.

Apart from the lyrics, I thought it didn’t really sound like a Smokey tune… not sure why, too bluesy and funky, perhaps.

Now let’s appreciate this awesome video … I wonder who made it
    Oh wow! I forgot I had posed this question here. And... I really do appreciate that wonderful compliment, Tom! Just when I think I'm gonna chuck the whole YouTube thing down the tubes..it was only by happenstance that I even saw this thread today! Thanks my friend!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 02-07-2022 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Oh wow! I forgot I had posed this question here. And... I really do appreciate that wonderful compliment, Tom! Just when I think I'm gonna chuck the whole YouTube thing down the tubes..it was only by happenstance that I even saw this thread today! Thanks my friend!
    No worries WW!!! All of your videos are amazing, but this one is really very entirely awesome!

Also, I think you’re right about it being The Waters Sisters. It’s definitely not The Andantes, and I think the Waters would have been around at this time…?

Could it be the Blackberries?

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Could it be the Blackberries?
    Could be! Were they around in 1967?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  21.1 KB
    I agree that the song doesn't sound like it was written by Smokey, or that he produced it. It is much too bluesy and funky, and it doesn't have the usual poetic feel of most of Smokey's songs. I would guess that the song is mostly al Cleveland's ideas, with Smokey helping him polish it, just as Mickey Stevenson helped polish Ivy Hunter's songs that he generated on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  21.1 KB
    I agree that the song doesn't sound like it was written by Smokey, or that he produced it. It is much too bluesy and funky, and it doesn't have the usual poetic feel of most of Smokey's songs. I would guess that the song is mostly al Cleveland's ideas, with Smokey helping him polish it, just as Mickey Stevenson helped polish Ivy Hunter's songs that he generated on his own.
    Thanks robb, that makes sense!