[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye Distant Lover Question

I posted this question a few years ago but if anyone answered it I don't remember. On his live version of this song, there is a point where it seems like every woman in the audience screams all at once as if they were having a collective orgasm. What did Marvin do at the time that generated such a loud response?

I think it was just a case of mass song recognition. 😁

Unless it was mid song and their hands weren’t in the air!!

As I recall from a mid-late 70's Radio City show Gaye would drop his head down, plant his feet apart, raise his arms and do a sort of grind.

That sounds like a logical answer. Thanks.

Didn't he exclaim "Lord have mercy!" and there was a big scream?

Weird question lol

They screamed almost always while he was singing it. The minute he cooed "distant lover...", they started screaming. I heard some women had to be taken away by an ambulance from fainting.

Marvin did some things to the audience that it's unexplainable. Not even Teddy Pendergrass could match it [[though he was right up there). Every move Marvin made, the audience responded. The more he pled, the more they screamed.

At one point, Marvin sang "oh baby don't go!" And you can hear a fan screaming Marvin's name! It was that intense. To this day I haven't heard a performance where women LOST THEIR MIND!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Weird question lol

They screamed almost always while he was singing it. The minute he cooed "distant lover...", they started screaming. I heard some women had to be taken away by an ambulance from fainting.

Marvin did some things to the audience that it's unexplainable. Not even Teddy Pendergrass could match it [[though he was right up there). Every move Marvin made, the audience responded. The more he pled, the more they screamed.

At one point, Marvin sang "oh baby don't go!" And you can hear a fan screaming Marvin's name! It was that intense. To this day I haven't heard a performance where women LOST THEIR MIND!
    Didn't TP have women toss their unmentionables on the stage?? Remember hearing that back inaday. Just saying...

Lots of different theories here and I appreciate the input. But the scream I am referring to was so pronounced that he had to have done something to cause it. That is why I wondered if the grinding that someone mentioned might have been it. I guess he didn't grab his crotch because I assume Michael had the monopoly on that.

Also keep in mind Motown often augmented audience response by mixing in reactions from other shows. If you listen to the Miracles 1957-1972, these responses are quite obvious. On Gladys Knight's only live Motown lp they used what sounded like cheap tv applause between some of the tracks

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Also keep in mind Motown often augmented audience response by mixing in reactions from other shows. If you listen to the Miracles 1957-1972, these responses are quite obvious. On Gladys Knight's only live Motown lp they used what sounded like cheap tv applause between some of the tracks
    Some of the same applause was used on the Pips' live album, as well as STEVIE WONDER LIVE! and ON BROADWAY.

So in other words it could have been The Andantes doing all that screaming????

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Lots of different theories here and I appreciate the input. But the scream I am referring to was so pronounced that he had to have done something to cause it. That is why I wondered if the grinding that someone mentioned might have been it. I guess he didn't grab his crotch because I assume Michael had the monopoly on that.
    Hi again, David - no, at least at Radio City there was no crotch grab -