[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Hang on Johnny.

Hang on Johnny.

Just listened to a few Johnny Bristol tracks from his MGM days straight after his departure from Motown...was wondering if he had stayed at Motown as a writer who would have gotten these songs..."Hang On In There Baby" is such a good song...Plus I didnt realize that he wrote and recorded "I Wouldnt Change A Thing" that Diana Ross sang in her concerts.

He did write a few songs for Tammi Terrell

No one interested?

Anyone noticed the similarities with Hang On In There Baby?

If I was Johnny, I would sue!

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Just listened to a few Johnny Bristol tracks from his MGM days straight after his departure from Motown...was wondering if he had stayed at Motown as a writer who would have gotten these songs..."Hang On In There Baby" is such a good song...Plus I didnt realize that he wrote and recorded "I Wouldnt Change A Thing" that Diana Ross sang in her concerts.
    I think it was always his intention to step out front and try his hand as a vocalist. He did a wonderful job in my opinion. I love his mgm and polydor albums. He knew he was good and was disappointed with his lack of success following Hang on in there baby. I met him a few years prior to his passing. He was a nice guy, but he carried around a certain amount of bitterness which wasn't good for his health.
    He had the goods to become a major star, and i think he saw himself performing his songs rather than producing them for someone else.

I love Johnny Bristol and "Hang On" is one of my favourite songs.

I had no idea about Gregory Porter's "Concorde", which now you mention it does sound a bit similar, especially the intro!!!

Johnny Bristol is much appreciated by many to this day. Sadly Johnny passed on in 2004. The good news is that Johnny's MGM albums including 'Feeling the Magic' are up their on Spotify. [[I only wish that his Atlantic albums were also available as I think they are perhaps his finest work).

The even better news for Johnny fans is that he was interviewed in depth by the late Bill Randle for his Science Of Soul radio program, and Mickey Nold has made the interview available again for us all to enjoy! Johnny comes across at this time as a modest and philisophical man of faith who looked for the positives and downplayed the negatives. It is a great insight into the man who was a talented singer, composer, arranger and producer. How lucky we are to be able to listen to him and to hear in his own words a resume of his career.

Mike

http://science-of-soul.blogspot.com/

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 11-05-2020 at 10:09 AM.