[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Nolan Strong & Diablos were recruited for Motown, but declined.

    This is a very interesting article about Nolan Strong and the Diablos. The group was inducted into the Michigan Rock and Roll legends early 2019. I do not recall any coverage on the forum about this occurrence.

    There is a small explanation of how the group was under consideration to sign with Motown but never did. Too bad.

    I also learned something I had wanted to know about Nolan. Barrett Strong is a cousin of Nolan's. Their major hit, The Wind, is far superior to that of the Jesters. It is a good song though.

    https://michiganrockandrolllegends.c...nd-the-diablos

    Legend has it that Smokey Robinson was a huge fan of the Diablos.

  2. #2
    Very interesting read

  3. #3
    Thanks for sharing that article Woodward. I didn't know that Nolan Strong & The Diablos were being considered by Motown (and why they turned that deal down) prior to reading that piece.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks for sharing that article Woodward. I didn't know that Nolan Strong & The Diablos were being considered by Motown (and why they turned that deal down) prior to reading that piece.
    You are not alone on that. Another person who wanted to sign with Motown was James Brown. That is probably another little known aspect and we can all thank Raynoma for revealing that in Berry, Me, and Motown. I wonder who else over the years suffered the same fate? There has to be others.

  5. #5
    My understanding, growing up in Detroit and reading various articles was that Motown wasn't too keen on bringing in Nolan Strong and the Diablos because Nolan had "problems" (I heard it was drinking) and that Berry didn't want to bring in veteran groups early on because they may know too much about the music biz. Don't know if this is true, but this is what Detroit music industry veterans told me.

  6. #6
    "If I, Oh I" and "Yeah Baby! It's Because Of You" are my two favorites with a definite early Motown/Miracles kind of feel for me.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    You are not alone on that. Another person who wanted to sign with Motown was James Brown. That is probably another little known aspect and we can all thank Raynoma for revealing that in Berry, Me, and Motown. I wonder who else over the years suffered the same fate? There has to be others.
    WOW! I didn't read Raynoma Gordy's book so I had no idea that James Brown wanted to sign with Motown. Brown's autobiography from 1986 makes no mention of wanting to sign with Motown (but he does compliment the company for Berry's leadership & for taking Soul Music to the top of the charts with a 'softer sound' than his). I wonder how that would've worked: James Brown with his hardcore take on Soul Music & Motown with their focus on Pop influenced Soul.

  8. #8
    It's been suggested to me more than once by some older doo-wop collectors that the backing group on Barrett Strong's "Do The Very Best You Can" is the Diablos. It doesn't really sound like them on that recording to me, but I'd be curious to see what people with a finer tuned ear than me think.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    It's been suggested to me more than once by some older doo-wop collectors that the backing group on Barrett Strong's "Do The Very Best You Can" is the Diablos. It doesn't really sound like them on that recording to me, but I'd be curious to see what people with a finer tuned ear than me think.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  21.1 KB
    I really doubt that the background singers on that recording are The Diablos. I certainly don't hear Nolan. If they meant, "The Diablos WITHOUT Nolan", it would be difficult to tell. But, I believe we are hearing some form or another of The Rayber Voices.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  21.1 KB
    I really doubt that the background singers on that recording are The Diablos. I certainly don't hear Nolan. If they meant, "The Diablos WITHOUT Nolan", it would be difficult to tell. But, I believe we are hearing some form or another of The Rayber Voices.
    I'm in agreeance with you. The thread just reminded me of that rumor, and I was curious if anyone else had heard it or could hear the Diablos in the song. Like I said, I don't hear it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.