[REMOVE ADS]

JHud's Aretha film 'Respect' - Release is delayed

It's sad but it's the right call to delay the Aretha bio-pic Respect since so many movie theaters are closed due to COVID-19.

That's too bad but I had a feeling that would happen. I couldn't see them making this available as a title to view on demand at home, instead of being a theatrical release. Being released in Jan 2021, with the pandemic still ongoing, would definitely not bring in the same kind of money for them at the box office, even if they supplemented the release with a home pay per view option. However, I am skeptical if it will even come out in August. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    That's too bad but I had a feeling that would happen. I couldn't see them making this available as a title to view on demand at home, instead of being a theatrical release. Being released in Jan 2021, with the pandemic still ongoing, would definitely not bring in the same kind of money for them at the box office, even if they supplemented the release with a home pay per view option. However, I am skeptical if it will even come out in August. Only time will tell.
    Reading your comment gave me a positive spin on this move on part of the studio. Perhaps the intervening months will give the marketers a better idea about how movies are 'consumed' and that way get the film to the largest possible audience.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Reading your comment gave me a positive spin on this move on part of the studio. Perhaps the intervening months will give the marketers a better idea about how movies are 'consumed' and that way get the film to the largest possible audience.
    Thanks Peace. I hope they also manage a way to have it seen by the largest possible audience. I know some recent films have been released as a pay-per-view home release [[ie. Tracee Ellis Ross' The High Note, Disney's Mulan), and the price to view is approx. $20 and upwards. Apparently this strategy has worked well for some kids' movies that have come out, as families are happy to pay $20 for something new that their kids can watch over and over for a few days. I also think in those particular situations, it financially makes sense, since paying $20 for a digital showing of a brand new movie is cheaper than sending the entire family to the movie theater. However, for other titles that are less in demand, particularly less in demand by families, I think it's a harder sell. Most people these days want value for their dollar, which means paying a $10 monthly fee for a subscription to be able to stream an unlimited and wide variety of movies. Considering the genre of the Aretha movie [[musical biopic), the studios probably figured that charging $20 per home to recoup their costs would be a much harder sell, than having it go the way of a traditional theatrical release. It's just crappy timing. Hopefully by August, they can come up with a strategy to give this film the attention that it deserves.

Just like with music, the film industry needs to embrace streaming. Most people don’t feel safe going to a movie theater. Just show it on demand. Most likely it has to do with the academy awards. I think you have to have a theatrical release, even if limited, to qualify for an academy award.