[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Love is all that matters duet - and Everyday album

Brandy was a HUGE pop star in 98 and 99. the duet version of LIATM wasn't able to be released. If it had, do you think that would have helped bring Diana back to the top of the US pop market?

I happen to enjoy EIAND the most out of her Motown Part 2 career. partly because i just enjoy that era of music more than the early 90s. also Diana really sings beautifully on the album, although i agree the content is a rather sad.

Had they released the duet and it had done well, i think Diana could have scored with the dance version of Until We Meet Again and then as a followup single, Carry On.

It probably would have been a hit but I don't think it would have led to any further hits for Diana. It probably would have been seen as a hit because of Brandy just like NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO might have been seen as a hit because of Al B. Sure.

Considering EDIAND had Oprah exposure, plus the DOUBLE PLATINUM telefilm, it just seems that there wasn't interest in new Diana recordings, except in the dance market.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Brandy was a HUGE pop star in 98 and 99. the duet version of LIATM wasn't able to be released. If it had, do you think that would have helped bring Diana back to the top of the US pop market?

I happen to enjoy EIAND the most out of her Motown Part 2 career. partly because i just enjoy that era of music more than the early 90s. also Diana really sings beautifully on the album, although i agree the content is a rather sad.

Had they released the duet and it had done well, i think Diana could have scored with the dance version of Until We Meet Again and then as a followup single, Carry On.
    If we are talking USA then an r&b hit at best. Pop hit nah. Sadly the American music buying public were through with Diana by that stage, and l think the single might have suffered the same fate as the album. I really can’t imagine even Brandy’s inclusion would have been enough to alter that.
    I love the general chilled out feel of the album with Diana’s voice sounding warm and sensual. As for the rest of the world, remixes were the way to go.

since this was pre-London Heathrow episode, pre Return to Love, pre drunk driving, i think there might have been a chance. the duet - yes. Brandy's name would have helped take that into the pop charts

but Cher had just had a huge resurgence with Believe. she had been totally absent from the pop music world since If I Could Turn Back Time in 1989. and then in 1998, Believe was a MASSIVE worldwide hit.

because of that attention on "former music stars" i think the Brandy duet could have generated some pop world attention. Until We Meet Again did well on the dance charts and maybe then the pop world would have paid some attention to the remix of that. especially the second version of the Hector remix.

and i still think that Carry On should have been a hit. had UWMA worked, CO would have hit too IMO

since this was pre-London Heathrow episode, pre Return to Love, pre drunk driving, i think there might have been a chance. the duet - yes. Brandy's name would have helped take that into the pop charts

but Cher had just had a huge resurgence with Believe. she had been totally absent from the pop music world since If I Could Turn Back Time in 1989. and then in 1998, Believe was a MASSIVE worldwide hit.

because of that attention on "former music stars" i think the Brandy duet could have generated some pop world attention. Until We Meet Again did well on the dance charts and maybe then the pop world would have paid some attention to the remix of that. especially the second version of the Hector remix.

and i still think that Carry On should have been a hit. had UWMA worked, CO would have hit too IMO
    You never know what might have happened. I mean who would have thought that I LOVE YOU would have been Diana's highest-charting album in more than 20 years?

That said, Diana really promoted I LOVE YOU and it also benefited from being released right in the midst of the DREAMGIRLS film blitz. Besides Oprah and THE VIEW, Diana did no promotion for EDIAND. Of course, we know why.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    You never know what might have happened. I mean who would have thought that I LOVE YOU would have been Diana's highest-charting album in more than 20 years?

That said, Diana really promoted I LOVE YOU and it also benefited from being released right in the midst of the DREAMGIRLS film blitz. Besides Oprah and THE VIEW, Diana did no promotion for EDIAND. Of course, we know why.
    very good point. I'm thinking that the tv show and the duet album would provide the general public interest and receptivity to EDIAND. but yes. both DR and motown would have had to promote it.

i know she was going through her divorce and "the change" during this time. but seems like no one wanted to do anything with this album. which in my opinion is a shame. have heard about how her relationship with motown was essentially 0 by this time. have wondered if that influenced any of the issues around releasing the duet. they just didn't want to bother with negotiating or working on Diana's behalf.

In another time, another place, another bar the songs you mention would probably have been hit singles. It’s a massive shame the album was abandoned.
    With “Not Over You Yet” reaching the UK top ten there was potential for further success to be had.
    Potential hits being.....
    Until We Meet Again [[ dance remix)
    Carry On [[new dance remix)
    Sugar Free [[remix)
    Love Is All That Matters [[duet version)
    Free [[I’m Gone) you guessed it, remix.

The only song I’m not so fond of is “Someone That You Loved Before”. Film or album version.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 10-28-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Despite Not Over Tou Yet going top 10 in the UK the album stiffed.

I personally preferred the original version of NOYY although it wouldn't have been the hit that the dance remix was.

It was just a pity that Until We Meet Again was never released as the follow-up in the UK even though they got as far as issuing and servicing a promo which got favourable reaction.

According to Bluebrock it was Diana herself who vetoed the release but it was never revealed why.

Someone That You Loved Before is actually my favourite track on EDIAND, Diana is in brilliant voice on this but I doubt at this stage it would have been a big hit for her.

there are a couple other tracks that part of the overall project but not on the US album

Drop the Mask
    Sugarfree

both are decent songs. Sugarfree is the most radio friendly IMO. but DTM is a good album track

very good point. I'm thinking that the tv show and the duet album would provide the general public interest and receptivity to EDIAND. but yes. both DR and motown would have had to promote it.

i know she was going through her divorce and "the change" during this time. but seems like no one wanted to do anything with this album. which in my opinion is a shame. have heard about how her relationship with motown was essentially 0 by this time. have wondered if that influenced any of the issues around releasing the duet. they just didn't want to bother with negotiating or working on Diana's behalf.
    EDIAND was also Diana's first album released without a single release. It was around this time that many companies were only releasing singles to radio for promo but not commercially, forcing buyers to buy the whole cd. Smokey, Gladys, and Patti also had albums released around this same time without singles and all only did so-so.

there are a couple other tracks that part of the overall project but not on the US album

Drop the Mask
    Sugarfree

both are decent songs. Sugarfree is the most radio friendly IMO. but DTM is a good album track
    SUGARFREE was on the US cd. A song called FREE [[I'M GONE) didn't make it.

I've heard/read that it was Brandy's management aka mother that nixed the duet being released but I have no idea if this is true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    In another time, another place, another bar the songs you mention would probably have been hit singles. It’s a massive shame the album was abandoned.
    With “Not Over You Yet” reaching the UK top ten there was potential for further success to be had.
    Potential hits being.....
    Until We Meet Again [[ dance remix)
    Carry On [[new dance remix)
    Sugar Free [[remix)
    Love Is All That Matters [[duet version)
    Free [[I’m Gone) you guessed it, remix.

The only song I’m not so fond of is “Someone That You Loved Before”. Film or album version.
    The album was "abandoned"in the UK with great reluctance. I cannot speak for it's performance in America, but we wanted to do more with the album in the UK. Sadly Diana had little faith in the album and had even less enthusiasm in promoting it. There was a lot going on behind the scenes and she was not in the right frame of mind to put her heart and soul into it. Frankly she did not care much for the album. It was a bad time for all concerned. Maybe it would have been a different story had the album come out a couple of years earlier.

I didn't care for this album on its release. It was dreary and I tired of it quickly. I was disappointed in the cover, which seemed to match what I felt about the album. That said, there were a couple of tracks I liked. I listened to it again recently, and found that I liked it much more than I did originally. I was hoping EDIAND would build off of Take Me Higher, but it really went in a totally different direction so I was disappointed. Now, years later and not associated with anything, I find a few of the tracks quite moving.

I do think a duet with Brandy would have helped at that time. Of course, it didn't help that Double Platinum was not a very good film. I wish we had gotten Drop The Mask on the US edition. That would have given it a little punch that I thought it needed at the time. I'm sorry Diana didn't care much for the album, and was not in a frame of mind to promote it.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I didn't care for this album on its release. It was dreary and I tired of it quickly. I was disappointed in the cover, which seemed to match what I felt about the album. That said, there were a couple of tracks I liked. I listened to it again recently, and found that I liked it much more than I did originally. I was hoping EDIAND would build off of Take Me Higher, but it really went in a totally different direction so I was disappointed. Now, years later and not associated with anything, I find a few of the tracks quite moving.

I do think a duet with Brandy would have helped at that time. Of course, it didn't help that Double Platinum was not a very good film. I wish we had gotten Drop The Mask on the US edition. That would have given it a little punch that I thought it needed at the time. I'm sorry Diana didn't care much for the album, and was not in a frame of mind to promote it.
    yeah i think if the remixes of the songs had been on the album as opposed to the original versions, the whole album would have had a remarkably different tone and appeal. the original UWMA is very depressing but has a haunting beauty. the second of the Hector remixes is uplifting and strong. amazing how two different approaches to, technically, the same song can have such wildly different effects

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The album was "abandoned"in the UK with great reluctance. I cannot speak for it's performance in America, but we wanted to do more with the album in the UK. Sadly Diana had little faith in the album and had even less enthusiasm in promoting it. There was a lot going on behind the scenes and she was not in the right frame of mind to put her heart and soul into it. Frankly she did not care much for the album. It was a bad time for all concerned. Maybe it would have been a different story had the album come out a couple of years earlier.
    yeah didn't the lead single UWMA debut in the Top 10? the dance mix is a hot track. seems like the album had a strong initial start but then petered out

anyone know why motown was so disinterested in this? i know there was a lot of angst between the label and diana at this point. were they just over it and ready for her contract to expire?

yeah didn't the lead single UWMA debut in the Top 10? the dance mix is a hot track. seems like the album had a strong initial start but then petered out

anyone know why motown was so disinterested in this? i know there was a lot of angst between the label and diana at this point. were they just over it and ready for her contract to expire?
    It was NOT OVER YOU YET that was a Top 10 hit in the UK. Diana filmed a video for it and did some appearances, in addition to the AN AUDIENCE WITH DIANA ROSS special. I think it might have been during the video filming that Heathrow happened.

Re Motown in the US, when the cd was released, there was a Diana interview in USA Today. I recall her saying something like she felt she had connected with the new president of the label. He had a song that he wanted her to hear and she had a song that she wanted him to hear. It turned out that it was the same song. I don't remember which song it was, one of the ballads, I believe.

I suppose once Diana became depressed over her marriage and stopped doing promotion, Motown probably lost interest as well. As I wrote earlier, they released no singles except for a 12-inch of UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN that had a sticker on it listing the title track by mistake. It was later corrected. Yes, I bought both.

The infamous Heathrow event took place after the video had been filmed. She had spent almost 11 hours filming in a very large warehouse. She had behaved quite well that day and had displayed patience and professionalism for the most part but was exhausted and not in the best of places. She was originally due to stay one more night before flying home, but for a reason that has no place in this discussion she went straight to the airport, and the rest as they say is history, and not good history.

It was NOT OVER YOU YET that was a Top 10 hit in the UK. Diana filmed a video for it and did some appearances, in addition to the AN AUDIENCE WITH DIANA ROSS special. I think it might have been during the video filming that Heathrow happened.

Re Motown in the US, when the cd was released, there was a Diana interview in USA Today. I recall her saying something like she felt she had connected with the new president of the label. He had a song that he wanted her to hear and she had a song that she wanted him to hear. It turned out that it was the same song. I don't remember which song it was, one of the ballads, I believe.

I suppose once Diana became depressed over her marriage and stopped doing promotion, Motown probably lost interest as well. As I wrote earlier, they released no singles except for a 12-inch of UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN that had a sticker on it listing the title track by mistake. It was later corrected. Yes, I bought both.
    oh yes! you're right. got the songs mixed up

interesting about the Motown Prez story! cool! hadn't heard that one before

‘Tis a shame Diana did not care for the album as l consider it a classy affair. ‘Until We Meet Again’ and ‘Carry On’ held real potential to follow NOYY into the UK top ten.
    It all seems such a huge waste. Even more so when you consider what her next studio album was to be.

‘Tis a shame Diana did not care for the album as l consider it a classy affair. ‘Until We Meet Again’ and ‘Carry On’ held real potential to follow NOYY into the UK top ten.
    It all seems such a huge waste. Even more so when you consider what her next studio album was to be.
    For sure. Those songs certainly had hit potential, but Diana herself wanted He lives in you to be the follow up.

I don't care for potential hit, when the game is over. I care for the songs because this album is one of her most unique and personal. Some view it as an endless lamento, but not me.
    It took me some time to enjoy it. The year it came out, I listened to it, once or twice and that was it.
    3 years latter, suddenly I felt the urge to listen EDAND again, and I became crazy for it.
    My only reserve, is that it's two different type of music in one album. A soundtrack for Double Platinum and divorce songs.

Drop the Mask
    Sugarfree

I love the album, but it screams out for “Drop The Mask” as a change of pace. I would have swapped it with “Someone That You Loved Before” which l find a little to maudlin. Who knows, lt might become a gay anthem of sorts.

I never really got into EDIAND, although a lot of it might be due to how the album is sequenced.

I love the opening tracks HE LIVES IN YOU, LOVE IS ALL THAT MATTERS, and UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN. But starting with the r&b of NOT OVER YOU YET and the rest of those songs, I lose interest. I did end up liking SUGARFREE but I don't really get into the album again until near the end with SOMEONE THAT YOU LOVED BEFORE, CARRY ON, and the UWMA remix.

I always thought CARRY ON could have replaced I WILL SURVIVE in her act.

I never really got into EDIAND, although a lot of it might be due to how the album is sequenced.
    Agree 100% reese. The sequencing of the songs is entirely wrong with not enough thought given to variety of pace. I remember Diana mentioning that Evan had helped her with this. Given his age at the time he might just be forgiven.....But only just lol.

For sure. Those songs certainly had hit potential, but Diana herself wanted He lives in you to be the follow up.
    good lord - why is she so stuck on these silly "inspirational" songs. they're acceptable [[at best) for an album cut but are ridiculous choices for singles

Agree 100% reese. The sequencing of the songs is entirely wrong with not enough thought given to variety of pace. I remember Diana mentioning that Evan had helped her with this. Given his age at the time he might just be forgiven.....But only just lol.
    I do remember Diana mentioning that her son helped but I thought it was just him picking HE LIVES IN YOU as the opening track. However, I haven't read that article in some time so I could be wrong. Hard to believe that the cd came out over 20 years ago.

good lord - why is she so stuck on these silly "inspirational" songs. they're acceptable [[at best) for an album cut but are ridiculous choices for singles
    There is a vast army of singers who have enjoyed enormous success in releasing inspirational singles.
    “Hero”, “That’s What Friends Are For”, When You Believe” to name but three.
    Who’s to say “He Live In You” might have not have duplicated that success?.

I

He lives in you is a well known song. It’s not just another inspirational Diana Ross song. Many children and their parents know this song from the Lion King. Her covering this song was a smart move.

Until We Meet Again should have been titled “If We Never Meet Again.”
    The message would have been sadder and more powerful.

There is a vast army of singers who have enjoyed enormous success in releasing inspirational singles.
    “Hero”, “That’s What Friends Are For”, When You Believe” to name but three.
    Who’s to say “He Live In You” might have not have duplicated that success?.

I
    i know - i'm venting here a bit lol with my frustration for her lack of recent US success

Diana has done a lot of these over her career. but in terms of major chart success, she's not had it with these songs. Reach out and Touch was the highly anticipated debut song of one of the biggest superstars at the star of the 70s. and barely made the Top 20.

Force behind the power, best years of my life, take me higher, he lives in you. She had had a LOT of these songs through the 90s and i think this type of song was NOT the way to really recharge her US career. IMO these songs can easily slip into the preachy or saccharine versus a more traditional, straight-forward love/broken heart song. She's continued to push these songs and the results speak clearly

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    He lives in you is a well known song. It’s not just another inspirational Diana Ross song. Many children and their parents know this song from the Lion King. Her covering this song was a smart move.
    covering it on the album is one thing. wanting it for single release is a different matter

She did not get her way so you need not stress over it!

She did not get her way so you need not stress over it!
    lolol i know

Force behind the power, best years of my life, take me higher, he lives in you. She had had a LOT of these songs through the 90s and i think this type of song was NOT the way to really recharge her US career. IMO these songs can easily slip into the preachy or saccharine versus a more traditional, straight-forward love/broken heart song. She's continued to push these songs and the results speak clearly
    Those songs are fine as album cuts.
    I particularly like "only love can conquer all"

yeah i think they're fine as album cuts. and as "swaying oprah" songs as i like to call them lolol

inevitably Diana would appear on the Oprah show for another interview. and she'd sing one of these songs. meanwhile Oprah would be in the audience and swaying along lol

Funny now..everytime Diana appears on tv...whatever song she sings jumps back on the charts.

I've heard/read that it was Brandy's management aka mother that nixed the duet being released but I have no idea if this is true or not.
    I remember the same thing..again with no real explanation.

I once heard "Sugarfree" on the radio in or around 1999. I thought it was serviced to urban radio. No?

Interesting. I was stunned that the remix of "Not Over You Yet" was a hit in the UK. It was a great video but an unremarkable song.

Otherwise, I think EDIAND is her best latter-day CD. The title track, "Sugarfree", "He Lives In You" and UWMA are all standouts. I understand she was having a tough time personally, but I don't know how she couldn't see it was her strongest set in decades.

Yes it was Brandy's mother who pulled the plug on the duet. She claimed Diana was attempting to use her daughter to get a hit record. That woman was very "challenging". She and Diana clashed bitterly, and for once Diana was not really the main cause of the friction.

Yes it was Brandy's mother who pulled the plug on the duet. She claimed Diana was attempting to use her daughter to get a hit record. That woman was very "challenging". She and Diana clashed bitterly, and for once Diana was not really the main cause of the friction.
    How very silly. How often does a singer get to share a potential hit with a legend?.
    Out of curiosity Bluebrock, what’s your favourite songs from the EDIAND set?.

yeah that's not a huge shock. and to some degree, diana was. but not in a negative sense.

I've waited a bit to formulate my reply. Firstly I find it fascinating that this excellent, under-selling album gets new threads here quite often, all of them interesting. Secondly I have to agree about your selections of the dance version of UWMA and then CA as singles. Other than that I find I don't have too much to say simply because I think this is an excellent album that, really, any big-time singer of that year would have been proud to have recorded.

Interesting. Yet another upstart relation who thought they could ultimately topple Diana Ross! In response to an earlier post of yours, as I have said in the past it's my belief that Diana's 'dislike' of this lp has more to do with the personal associations she has with the record. We hear the same from other singers so it could certainly apply to Our Miss Ross. AnywhocareswhatIthinkonaFridaynight, it's an excellent lp and the lady should be proud of it and her singing on it. Maybe a book of poetry or two would have put her in a more positive mood

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting. Yet another upstart relation who thought they could ultimately topple Diana Ross! In response to an earlier post of yours, as I have said in the past it's my belief that Diana's 'dislike' of this lp has more to do with the personal associations she has with the record. We hear the same from other singers so it could certainly apply to Our Miss Ross. AnywhocareswhatIthinkonaFridaynight, it's an excellent lp and the lady should be proud of it and her singing on it. Maybe a book of poetry or two would have put her in a more positive mood
    Brandy who ?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I once heard "Sugarfree" on the radio in or around 1999. I thought it was serviced to urban radio. No?
    I believe it was. I think I have a promo cd of it as well as one of the title track.

How very silly. How often does a singer get to share a potential hit with a legend?.
    Out of curiosity Bluebrock, what’s your favourite songs from the EDIAND set?.
    Probably Sugarfree and the title track. I do feel Sugarfree had the potential to be an r&b hit in the States. In the UK i would have gone for Until we meet again and carry on as future singles.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I still have those books to give to her. They are safely stored in my loft!

I like not over you yet
    Sugar free
    Carry on.....some really good tracks.
    Great album.a few needed more remixing but over all in my top ten