[REMOVE ADS]

Johnny Nash has died.

Thanks for your music. RIP

Wow that is sad news. He has been around forever, but seemed to be eternally young
    I enjoyed his music

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/06/enter...ath/index.html

So very sad. Loved Johnny Nash growing up to his music. RIP.

So sorry to hear about Johnny Nash. His hits, "Hold Me Tight", "Stir It Up" & especially "I Can See Clearly Now" helped to popularize Reggae Music in the USA & the World. RIP Johnny.

Sad news. Our family ran that I Can See Clearly Now 8-track into the ground. This summer, I finally saw his starring turn in the 1960 film Take a Giant Step [[free with Prime); he was quite a capable actor as well. Rest in power.

The wild thing about Johnny is that he wasn't even Jamaican and didn't start out singing
    Reggae. He picked that up from Bob Marley. He originally sang popular music and jazz
    standards. He and Bob became both friends and collaboraters for a period. He certainly
    lived a full life. RIP, Johnny...

May he Rest in Peace.

I had a music column in my high school paper back when Johnny Nash broke. I would go to the local radio station sit in their reception area and scout their trade mags for bits and pieces,... Billboard , Variety ...

I remember reporting on a new trend in pop music being called reggae, ska , rock steady ... I cited Nash's STIR IT UP and Aretha's ROCK STEADY as examples ....

I had always thought he was British ....a Texan!! But recorded out of England.

RIP Johnny Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I had a music column in my high school paper back when Johnny Nash broke. I would go to the local radio station sit in their reception area and scout their trade mags for bits and pieces,... Billboard , Variety ...

I remember reporting on a new trend in pop music being called reggae, ska , rock steady ... I cited Nash's STIR IT UP and Aretha's ROCK STEADY as examples ....

I had always thought he was British ....a Texan!! But recorded out of England.
    Jamaican music actually a long complicated history and evolution of styles which do include the ones you mentioned except I hope you do know Aretha Franklin's
    Rock Steady despite it's title is not rock steady, the genre, it's Funk. Hotter than a
    mosquito's tweeter as Ike and Tina used to say. P funk even ripped horn riffs from it. I
    always wished I could have been in the studio when it was recorded. The clientele...
    dang!.....

yes - its a funky and low down feeling, and was charting at the same time as Nash , which was likely the cause of the tie-in.

The album "Johnny Nash and Kim Weston" on the Banyan Tree label should not be forgotten.

RIP Johnny Nash

a great Northern Soul Beat Ballad from Johnny

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O2hwIZEAeQ4