[REMOVE ADS]

Any Stax experts.here?

I hope a Stax expert can help me out here.
    I'm aware of the split with Atlantic, and the situation whereby Stax 'lost' all their masters up to early 1968.
    I believe that Stax still retained all unissued recordings[[ including alternate versions) from prior to 1968.
    I believe it was quite a number of years later that pre 68 [[ blue Stax) and post 68 [[ Yellow Stax) were issued together on compilations due to record companies merging /licenceing etc.

But I was thrown by a 1969 LP of Eddie Floyd "Rare Stamps" on Yellow Stax which features a lot of Blue Stax [[ pre the 68 Split) that Stax no longer owned.
    So...is "Rare Stamps" made up of alternate versions of tracks such as "Knock on wood" , " Big Bird", " Raise your hand" etc???
    i.e
    Not the masters owned by Atlantic and unavailable to Stax for releasing.

Thanks
    Last edited by snakepit; 10-24-2020 at 03:44 AM.

Interesting question but I'm sorry that I don't know the answer.

But I did notice that probably around the same time, Stax [[yellow) released greatest hits collections on Johnnie Taylor and Booker T. and the MGs, each with similar gold cover designs. Each contained at least one track from the Stax [[blue) era.
    Last edited by reese; 10-24-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Hi Reese
    As I say, many years later, when licence/ownetship of Stax flip flopped [[ and Stax was a victim more than anybody) tracks from Blue and Yellow were collated.
    But in 1969 Stax couldn't touch any released masters [[ Atlantic 'owned').
    I see what you say above...perhaps they used a "unissued" version.
    But they never issued pre68 [[Blue) on Otis, Carla, J.T....all the artists.
    MID 68 [[Yellow ) comps were of.Yellow material.
    So the Eddie Floyd sticks out...
    Perhaps they had more unissued/aternate tracks on him than the others, allowing them to squeeze out an LP.??

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Hi Reese
    As I say, many years later, when licence/ownetship of Stax flip flopped [[ and Stax was a victim more than anybody) tracks from Blue and Yellow were collated.
    But in 1969 Stax couldn't touch any released masters [[ Atlantic 'owned').
    I see what you say above...perhaps they used a "unissued" version.
    But they never issued pre68 [[Blue) on Otis, Carla, J.T....all the artists.
    MID 68 [[Yellow ) comps were of.Yellow material.
    So the Eddie Floyd sticks out...
    Perhaps they had more unissued/aternate tracks on him than the others, allowing them to squeeze out an LP.??
    My mom actually had the JT collection that I referenced and the label was the yellow Stax with the blue tinted fingersnap photo, which I believe was during their Gulf & Western era. One Ebay listing has the album as having been released in 1970, which seems about right. I thought the same might have been the same for the Booker T. set as the cover designs are similar.

The track used on the JT set was I AIN'T PARTICULAR, actually the last single from the Atlantic-era. Why they felt the need to include a single that wasn't even a hit is interesting considering they could have put any other later JT track in that slot.

In any event, I don't know if my mom even still has the album. But when I get a chance, I'll listen to see if the track sounds like an alternate version.
    Last edited by reese; 10-24-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Yes I think I might be doing similar��
    I was actually looking at a William Bell 2fer and decided to search for a Eddie Floyd
    [[ I'm actually on a "Stax" project of trying to collect all "Yellow" a & b's 68...72ish.
    So I'm looking at Stax LPs from 68 onward.
    The Rare Stamps 2fer on Eddie Floyd threw me a bit.
    I've read several Stax books but was uncertain with the poiltics and detailed history. I popped over to Wikipedia and the issue of Stax retaining unisdued/alternative tracks is covered.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...s.90264/page-2

Reese
    This great link covers this situation..took a while trawling the web but got there in the end.
    Amongst these threads is the answer...Yellow Stax had the unissued & alternates for use, and it seems that they are the "blue" period on post 68 comps.[[ around 68-70).
    However Atlantic , after the split, had access to all recordings..including the unissued and alternates for a short period but presumably didn't take the optuon...apart frim a deal to retain and release ALL Otis tracks. They issued several lps on Atco of Otis recordings...presumably as both parties thought there was profit on his stuff.
    Last edited by snakepit; 10-24-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks for the info.