[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross on The Russell Harty show

Open, carefree, unguarded, happy, nice

Love it! She had every reason to be happy, a number one, oscar nominated single, another hit movie, I don’t credible live show garnering rave reviews and her best solo album yet in the can waiting for release.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I remember watching this on the original transmission date. Good to see it again.
    Shortly before his death Russell Harty said Diana was one of his very favorite guests. She sent him a huge bouquet of flowers the following day which greatly moved him.

She was a little bit more hysterical than now. She delivers a version of the changing name of the Supremes that I have never heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    She was a little bit more hysterical than now. She delivers a version of the changing name of the Supremes that I have never heard before.
    Yes that is a new version for me too!

This was wonderful to see again. I remember as a young kid being oh so excited at seeing this interview. The young Diana’s effervescent exuberance for life was infectious and for me has always been the most endearing side of her personality. You could tell she genuinely liked Russell. 76 was certainly a great year for Diana Ross fans. Where does the time go l wonder?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    This was wonderful to see again. I remember as a young kid being oh so excited at seeing this interview. The young Diana’s effervescent exuberance for life was infectious and for me has always been the most endearing side of her personality. You could tell she genuinely liked Russell. 76 was certainly a great year for Diana Ross fans. Where does the time go l wonder?.
    I met Russell Harty in Blackpool of all places which i thought was quite appropriate when playing back this interview. He had nothing but nice things to say about Diana. It was prior to me meeting her and i was very excited as he told me about her. Sadly Russell past away shortly afterwards. I would love to have spoken at length with him.

Russell didn't die shortly after this interview it was 12 years after! Sadly he was very young, only 53.

Shes just so beautiful.

She certainly is, extremely!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Russell didn't die shortly after this interview it was 12 years after! Sadly he was very young, only 53.
    Re read my post. I said he passed away shortly after i met him. Not Diana. I am fully aware of when he passed away.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 10-23-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Shes just so beautiful.
    I thought the exact same thing, Ms. Roberta, as soon as Diana emerged from the curtain. And the beautiful speaking voice along with her intelligent and well-stated answers and message of self-determination - along with talent, that's what gave the lady her success and staying power in a ruthless business and ugly world. Be well and we'll keep our fingers crossed for Nov.4th!

I love this look on Diana. Very beautiful. I hear a lot of sadness in her voice though and can see it in her eyes. She must have been going through something.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I love this look on Diana. Very beautiful. I hear a lot of sadness in her voice though and can see it in her eyes. She must have been going through something.
    Her marriage to Bob was on its last legs at this time and she would file for divorce the following summer.

It's so fitting that Harty recognizes Ross's habit of applauding back to the audience. I vividly remember noting that too when Ross was on Dutch television in 1981 -- which, BTW, was a major event. Everybody talked about it the next day [[of course, we only had two television channels back then) and we were all so excited that she announced that she would come back to tour in 1982 [[which she did). This is when Why Do Fools Fall In Love was #1 in the Netherlands [[her only #1 here, aside of "A Brand New Day" with the Wiz Stars, which was also a #1 here). They showed the WDFFIL music video, but that's edited out of this YouTube video.

Last edited by Jaap; 10-23-2020 at 12:21 PM.

nice interview

Nice interview. At the hight of her EST phase, I think.

I love her hair - so much nicer than the wild frizz of the 1980s. Is that her natural hair?

Diana Ross is one of those women, who in my opinion grew more beautiful with age. When she was in The Supremes I always thought Mary Wilson was the most beautiful on the three. The over the top eye make up Diana used at the time I felt did not flatter her at all, her over posturing and eye rolling earlier in her career did not help.