[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes join the temptations

Just curious as to what are your favorite tracks on Join and Together.
    For me I love Try It Baby....
    funky Broadway
    The Impossible dream as well as the two singles
    From Together.
    Why must we fall in love is my favorite
    I'll be dog one
    Can't take my eyes off you
    Stubborn kind of fella
    Some great vocals

I listen to these albums both quite regularly and enjoy both immensely.....
    From "Join" I would say:
    Funky Broadway
    This Guy's In Love With You
    I Second That Emotion

From "Together"
    For Better or Worse
    Sing A Simple Song
    And my favorite track would also be "Why Must We Fall In Love". I wish the sound at the end of the song was not distorted but there was a lot going on at that point!
    My least favorite song from either album is "Impossible Dream"......I've just never taken to that song for some reason. Otherwise I like every track for the most part.
    Darin

I only seem to like I'm gonna make you love me. The intro always draws/ hypnotizes me into the song. Ain't nothing like the real thing is ok as I like Paul's parts. He sings it good.
    Besides that I always tend to miss Mary and Cindy throughout the whole album. Unlike the first Tops duet album [[where there's more interplay and songs where we here all the girls and men) these albums always come over to me as just Diana Ross and the Temptations. Even the song Amen [[which you may like or not) which is like the only songs where we can hear every single member of both group is omitted from the final release. I actually like the song and think it would have been great to have had it as the final song on the Join album. The Temptations seem more group orientated and share leads depending on the style of the song. Also "got to get you into my life" which has Mary and Cindy clearly on it omitted. I actually think Diana's vocals are good on it but then the Temps are missing on it, as in singing lead.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I listen to these albums both quite regularly and enjoy both immensely.....
    From "Join" I would say:
    Funky Broadway
    This Guy's In Love With You
    I Second That Emotion

From "Together"
    For Better or Worse
    Sing A Simple Song
    And my favorite track would also be "Why Must We Fall In Love". I wish the sound at the end of the song was not distorted but there was a lot going on at that point!
    My least favorite song from either album is "Impossible Dream"......I've just never taken to that song for some reason. Otherwise I like every track for the most part.
    Darin
    The sound quality of Why....... was resolved on The Complete Duets 2 CD album. I always wondered why the LP had a the problem and whether it was resolved for the A-side release of the song in the UK.

This song is my favourite by the two groups with I’m Gonna Make You Love Me as runner up.

The Temptations and Diana Ross and The Supremes could do no wrong. I loved everything they did. I was in heaven when Motown FINALLY put them together. When Diana left I think Motown should have continued with the Tempts and The Supremes. Levi was one helluva singer but I was hoping for a Vandellas and Martha pairing with them. Historically the Supremes and Temptations were meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Just curious as to what are your favorite tracks on Join and Together.
    For me I love Try It Baby....
    funky Broadway
    The Impossible dream as well as the two singles
    From Together.
    Why must we fall in love is my favorite
    I'll be dog one
    Can't take my eyes off you
    Stubborn kind of fella
    Some great vocals

I never play the two studio albums as they seem uninspired - except for a few tracks I love. If I tried, I could probably get an album that I could listen to all the way through if I picked from everything they recorded together. I love all three singles plus why must we fall in love. After that, the picking begin to get rather thin. So many of the arrangements are sparse and kind of boring like this guys in love with you. There are some good vocals and some good arrangements like to try it baby and I like for better or worse. I hate the overblown arrangement of the impossible dream and there are some tracks where the key is too high for diana to sing and comfortably there are somewhere and she sounds a little hoarse and others were various Temptations seem to just be going through the motions.

The album was a smash because of I’m gonna make you love me which was a gigantic it and made many many people run out and want to buy an album hoping for more songs like that on it, what a disappointment everyone got which is why the follow up album didn’t even do well when it first came out. I’m guessing hundreds of thousands of people bought the album and rarely played it. It remains the vinyl album I see on eBay the most by far and they are always in excellent condition.

I wish a few more producers had worked together to make these two albums the classics that they could have been and I think should have been. Of course I love TCB and much of GIT. I can’t play the studio albums All the way through and probably haven’t since 1969.

DWSheffer, there is a mix of "Why Must We Fall In Love" that is clean all the way to the end, and is also a few seconds longer. It was released on the project Diana Ross & The Supremes and The Temptations Joined Together The Complete Studio Duets. You can hear it here-

Last edited by brothadc; 10-18-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Ah....much better! Thanks for posting.

I thought Join the Tempts was one of their best albums and doesn’t contain weak cuts; I understand it outsold TCB. Together was probably the leftovers but For Better or Worse, Why, and especially I’ll Be Doggone were superb.

I was always hoping there was a third album or unreleased material waiting to be released but it seems we eventually only got a handful of those tracks years later. "Joined" I think it was good because it brought Temptation fans and Supreme fans together in a way that may have never happen. " A Place In The Sun" and "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" are what I remember from "Joined".

The album "Together", I think produce a single called "For Better Or Worse" which I was not a fan of and thought the first single should have been "Why". There was also a song on this album that Aretha Franklin recorded called, "The Weight" was only brought about a little noise.

i agree with someone's comment above that the albums were relatively uninspired. i rarely play them. frankly i play the Four Top duets more even though they too are mostly uninspired.

IGMYLM is truly exceptional. even though it too is a cover, it's just a stunning production. It frankly deserved to be a #1 Billboard hit - was it Grapevine that kept it from going all the way?

Try It Baby is another gem IMO. it's a classy and smart production, solid all the way through. This Guy's In Love With You is another strong one.

But the rest are bland covers IMO. none are bad but when you have these 8 singers there is SO much more that could have happened. Marvin and Tammi didn't got bogged down with so many covers so odd that the Sup/Temps duets are mostly that

There are some Supremes albums that I never liked when I was young and I love now, such as the various concept albums. There’s some that I used to like but I find it hard to listen to nowadays, like the cream of the crop LP. But the first Supremes and Temptations album to me had the sound of an instant classic and it has stayed that way for me all these years. All of side one especially is killer. I never really warmed up to the second album though I agree there are a few good cuts on it. I assume Gil Askey had much to do with these albums’ production. It seems to have his fingerprints all over it.

I always thought Dennis Edwards and Diane Ross made a really great looking couple by the way. I loved when they sang together.

The Supremes and Temptations toured together in 1972 or 73 when Lynda joined, does anyone feel they should have recorded albums together? I liked the duets with the 4 tops but there was already this combo from the previous groupings. It seems that the albums were all just filled with so much filler. The first albums-tempts and tops seemed to be the best and the latter ones were not quite as good as the first ones.

I really liked both Supremes/Tempts albums. The fact that they are full of covers doesn't bother me at all. I think their performances of SWEET INSPIRATION, A PLACE IN THE SUN, and STUBBORN KIND OF FELLOW, are just as good as the originals. And the few originals like WHY and FOR BETTER OR WORSE are pretty good as well. For some reason, I never felt the same about the Supremes/Tops albums.

Re the 70s Supremes and 70s Tempts, not sure if I would have liked a combo. They were really quite different groups from their 60s incarnations.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    The Supremes and Temptations toured together in 1972 or 73 when Lynda joined, does anyone feel they should have recorded albums together? I liked the duets with the 4 tops but there was already this combo from the previous groupings. It seems that the albums were all just filled with so much filler. The first albums-tempts and tops seemed to be the best and the latter ones were not quite as good as the first ones.
    IMO this tour was a last ditch effort to resuscitate the Supremes. the singles and albums had been doing worse and worse. plus their concert draw was falling. The Tempts were hot so people must have figured touring together would help revive the Supremes a bit

unfortunately part of the reason the Temps had been hot was because they had actively worked to evolve and modernize their show and sound. The supremes had not. There's been a copy of their Valley Forge, PA show together floating around the fans. several years ago i copied it from Youtube. it's not a bad show but not very inspired. they pulled out TCB and Rhythm of Life from the two TV specials. they did do IGMYLM which was great.

but the rest of the Sup show just never really did much new or exciting.

they start with YWSSL which is a strong opener. really rousing.
    then It's alright with me [[?? why this song??)
    Stoned Love
    can't take my eyes off you/quiet nights [[boring!! lol mary needed to update her solo spot)
    love the one you're with
    60's medley
    lean on me
    everybody got the right to love
    he ain't heavy
    you're nobody till somebody
    somewhere

waaaaaaaay too much DRATS content. It's Alright is a great song but in fall 1972 i don't think MJL needed to be doing Cole Porter. They hadn't released Jimmy Webb yet so they were still pushing the FJ set. but only did the one song. in touring with the Tempts, they should have done a Smokey medley. that crowd would have loved that. then a couple more tunes from the album. and mary should have done A Heart Like Mine

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree with someone's comment above that the albums were relatively uninspired. i rarely play them. frankly i play the Four Top duets more even though they too are mostly uninspired.

IGMYLM is truly exceptional. even though it too is a cover, it's just a stunning production. It frankly deserved to be a #1 Billboard hit - was it Grapevine that kept it from going all the way?

Try It Baby is another gem IMO. it's a classy and smart production, solid all the way through. This Guy's In Love With You is another strong one.

But the rest are bland covers IMO. none are bad but when you have these 8 singers there is SO much more that could have happened. Marvin and Tammi didn't got bogged down with so many covers so odd that the Sup/Temps duets are mostly that
    IGMYLM was released when Motown held 5 of the Top 10 pop songs for a month - and yes, it was Grapevine or Love Child that kept it back.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    IMO this tour was a last ditch effort to resuscitate the Supremes. the singles and albums had been doing worse and worse. plus their concert draw was falling. The Tempts were hot so people must have figured touring together would help revive the Supremes a bit

unfortunately part of the reason the Temps had been hot was because they had actively worked to evolve and modernize their show and sound. The supremes had not. There's been a copy of their Valley Forge, PA show together floating around the fans. several years ago i copied it from Youtube. it's not a bad show but not very inspired. they pulled out TCB and Rhythm of Life from the two TV specials. they did do IGMYLM which was great.

but the rest of the Sup show just never really did much new or exciting.

they start with YWSSL which is a strong opener. really rousing.
    then It's alright with me [[?? why this song??)
    Stoned Love
    can't take my eyes off you/quiet nights [[boring!! lol mary needed to update her solo spot)
    love the one you're with
    60's medley
    lean on me
    everybody got the right to love
    he ain't heavy
    you're nobody till somebody
    somewhere

waaaaaaaay too much DRATS content. It's Alright is a great song but in fall 1972 i don't think MJL needed to be doing Cole Porter. They hadn't released Jimmy Webb yet so they were still pushing the FJ set. but only did the one song. in touring with the Tempts, they should have done a Smokey medley. that crowd would have loved that. then a couple more tunes from the album. and mary should have done A Heart Like Mine
    The only thing about Mary doing A Heart Like Mine is that barely anyone would have known the song and it would be a real low point in terms of stirring excitement in the crowd. But singing Can't Take My Eyes Off You for 4 years and nothing else is another problem.

It was the radio stations that kept IGMYLM back - Billboard was the only chart it DID'NT make #1 on.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The only thing about Mary doing A Heart Like Mine is that barely anyone would have known the song and it would be a real low point in terms of stirring excitement in the crowd. But singing Can't Take My Eyes Off You for 4 years and nothing else is another problem.
    yeah i agree it's not the most exciting song or lead by Mary. but it was her first full lead on a song since Come And Get These Memories. kinda shocking! lol And had the group been promoting the album, it might have peaked some interest. or maybe A Heart Like Mine is combined with another song. something contemporary. I like Quiet Nights but it too was many years old by then. I think they really needed to focus on being contemporary and relevant