[REMOVE ADS]

New Shirley Bassey song :I Owe It All To You

It is a nice recording. Sort of reminds me of some Ross/Masser collaborations.

I love DSB. She can do no wrong at this stage in her career. We are extraordinarily lucky to be gifted with a new recording from the 83 year old legend. I am thrilled by it.

Oddly enough, though I am the first to harshly criticize Ross's "FBTP" 90s era I must admit that the subsequent single, "Best Years Of My Life", is perhaps my favorite recording of this type -- a career retrospective thank you to the fans. I love the recording and I have loved hearing her sing it live -- she manages sincerity and exuberance. Those are the two elements missing from this DSB track.

Nice track. None of us will live long enough to see, but I would like to know how many of these current flavors of the month will still be around and still sound this good when they are her age.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Nice track. None of us will live long enough to see, but I would like to know how many of these current flavors of the month will still be around and still sound this good when they are her age.
    I think the same quite frequently. I think it's a false comparison as media is consumed in such a different way nows-a-days. If I HAD to bet, my bet would be that after I am dead the recording artists that will be played in "'da footure" will be LatinX and rap artists that I know nothing about. AND ... like it or not, Taylor Swift will be the Bassey/Streisand in that same time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Thanks SO much for posting this. A lovely track, and 'The Sassy' sounds like ... Shirley Bassey!
    The lady, as we know, is without a shred of ego or drama [[... is my nose growing?) and totally appreciative of her audience's responsibility for her success [[vs her own efforts). OK. I went too far. BUT ... Bassey IS sui generis and has reached millions, so Brava diva!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Thanks SO much for posting this. A lovely track, and 'The Sassy' sounds like ... Shirley Bassey!
    The lady, as we know, is without a shred of ego or drama [[... is my nose growing?) and totally appreciative of her audience's responsibility for her success [[vs her own efforts). OK. I went too far. BUT ... Bassey IS sui generis and has reached millions, so Brava diva!
    She is a legend for sure, and if you are in any doubt of that she will tell you so herself!
    There can be no denying the enduring quality of that voice. A true one off which is a good thing for more than one reason!

Gorgeous.
    Perfect pacing ,
    pure with no theatrics .

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She is a legend for sure, and if you are in any doubt of that she will tell you so herself!
    There can be no denying the enduring quality of that voice. A true one off which is a good thing for more than one reason!
    I fondly recall my first Bassey concert, in the mid-1970's. I had an orchestra seat, and during [[I believe) 'And I Love You So' I innocently dared to blink once. Without missing a lyric or perfectly rehearsed and timed choked-back sob The Sassy gathered up her gown's bejeweled train, strode out into the audience, slapped me and was back onstage in time to complete her rendition. Now THAT'S a pro!

I fondly recall my first Bassey concert, in the mid-1970's. I had an orchestra seat, and during [[I believe) 'And I Love You So' I innocently dared to blink once. Without missing a lyric or perfectly rehearsed and timed choked-back sob The Sassy gathered up her gown's bejeweled train, strode out into the audience, slapped me and was back onstage in time to complete her rendition. Now THAT'S a pro!
    That's Shirl for you! I recall her slapping me across the face for no apparent reason. I cannot even recall the exact situation but after a ten minute tantrum she promptly gave me a hug and a kiss on the lips! It was her way of offering me an apology without having to actually utter the dreaded S word. Priceless!
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 10-15-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Looking foward to the new album.
    BTW: lyrics are by Don Black
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Black_[[lyricist)

Slapping people??? Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's Shirl for you! I recall her slapping me across the face for no apparent reason. I cannot even recall the exact situation but after a ten minute tantrum she promptly gave me a hug and a kiss on the lips! It was her way of offering me an apology without having to actually utter the dreaded S word. Priceless!
    Goodness! I was only jesting! But the mere fact that you thought it could be true certainly does give one pause!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Slapping people??? Say it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Concerning me, it isn't so - only joking for the sake of our Mr. B!

I briefly met DSB after a show and she was lovely and gracious. I'd presented her with a bouquet of roses during her show. After the show, she saw me among the throng of fans waiting for her. I was standing way back because her fans can be...overzealous...but she saw me and beckoned me over to thank me for the flowers. She signed my CD and took a picture with me. She was all smiles and purring delight. This was 1998, I'd heard stories of her mercurial temperament so I was pleasantly surprised that she was so wonderful to me.

Bluebrock, I sincerely hope "the slap" is an exaggeration but I fear you will confirm it is not.

Goodness! I was only jesting! But the mere fact that you thought it could be true certainly does give one pause!
    I most certainly am not jesting! She would not get away with it nowadays, but i don't think it would stop her from trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Bluebrock, I sincerely hope "the slap" is an exaggeration but I fear you will confirm it is not.
    It is not an exaggeration. There is more i could add, but we will leave it for now. Such behaviour was commonplace back in the day. I have had worse things happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I briefly met DSB after a show and she was lovely and gracious. I'd presented her with a bouquet of roses during her show. After the show, she saw me among the throng of fans waiting for her. I was standing way back because her fans can be...overzealous...but she saw me and beckoned me over to thank me for the flowers. She signed my CD and took a picture with me. She was all smiles and purring delight. This was 1998, I'd heard stories of her mercurial temperament so I was pleasantly surprised that she was so wonderful to me.
    I guess even Ms Bassey has her good days!

It is not an exaggeration. There is more i could add, but we will leave it for now. Such behaviour was commonplace back in the day. I have had worse things happen to me.
    LOL! Every Diva has had their day. I have heard many reliable -- and some mostly reliable -- hair-raising tales of first-hand encounters with almost all the great divas that do not comport with their glittering, classy images; across a broad spectrum of age and genre.

Personally, I have only had great experiences meeting the few I've met. The only divas who have received consistent raves for being warm and friendly are Marilyn McCoo [[I can attest) and Natalie Cole. All the others...well, there are stories.

I most certainly am not jesting! She would not get away with it nowadays, but i don't think it would stop her from trying!
    Both physical AND sexual abuse from The Sassy. That's quite a notch on one's belt!

Not a bad song from Dame Burly Slappy

I was kind of relieved to hear she still has it. I thought her ‘Performance’ album superb as l prefer listening to her voice when the vocal theatrics are toned down. I’m not really a “Goldfinger” kind of guy although it’s fun in concert. Nice song that bodes well for the new album.
    I recall a friend of mine who was once manager at one of the better known London hotels not being overly impressed with our “Get me it now” M’s Bassey lol.