[REMOVE ADS]

Stevie Wonder Releases First New Music in 15 Years

Stevie Wonder has kept a relatively low profile over the last decade, but that quiet period — which follows a health scare — seems to be ending. On Tuesday, the 70-year-old legend announced the release of two new songs, his first in 15 years. In equally startling news, Wonder said he would be releasing the tracks on his own label under Republic Records. The releases mark a break from Motown, his home since 1962.
    Speaking by Zoom from his Southern California home, Wonder said he began writing one of the songs, the fluid “Where Is Our Love Song,” when he was 18 in 1968. He recently unearthed it and completed it with new lyrics, with the newly cut track featuring Gary Clark Jr. on guitar. Proceeds from the song’s sales will benefit Feeding America, which, Wonder says, has requested $1 billion in donations to help families in need around the country.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...songs-1074675/

I just listen to Stevie's two new tracks on my streaming service [[). I think I enjoy the track Can't Put It In the Hands of Fate [[6m42s) a little better. Both tracks are of a social justice nature and makes mention of current social events. I'm not a big fan of rap and wouldn't mind an edited version without the rap. In fact the track sounds like it may have been an updated version of a previous unreleased track. The line "robins will sing" makes me think this. Stevie's voice sounds as strong as ever and that makes me happy. Where is Our Love [[3m37) is a nice track as well [[with a little harmonica!), but man I would love to hear the '68 version! My favorite Stevie period is from 66-70. There's something about his voice during this period that just moves me.

Stevie Wonder is Leaving Motown

After nearly six decades, Stevie Wonder is leaving Motown and has launched a new label.

The legendary singer shared the news during a virtual press conference Tuesday [[Oct. 13) when he also gave an update on the status of his health.
    At a London concert in July 2019, Wonder announced that he would be taking a hiatus from performing to undergo a kidney transplant while addressing rumors about his health. "So what's gonna happen is this, I'm going to have surgery, I'm going to have a kidney transplant in September of this year,” he said at the time.

While speaking to the press yesterday, the 70-year-old icon said that the procedure happened in December. Nonetheless, he feels 30 years younger after “was blessed with a new kidney,”according to the Associated Press.

ADVERTISING

“Since I have been released from the hospital, the nurses have made sure I’ve taken my medicine on time and I’m going to do it for as long as I have to, even if it is the rest of my life. I feel great. My voice feels great,” he said. “I feel like I’m about 40 right now, and I just thank everyone for the prayers and the love.”
    “And for all of the people that have been listening to these rumors, listen, if I’m feeling some kind of way, I’ll let you know,” he continued. “We don’t want to have misinformation. I am alive and well.”
    RELATED: Stevie Wonder Will Postpone Tour To Undergo Kidney Transplant In September
    The announcement came in conjunction with the arrival of two new songs, “Can’t Put it in the Hands of Fate, and “Where Is Our Love Song.” During the press conference, Wonder discussed a new EP in the near future, with both songs expected to appear on.

Wonder revealed that he began writing “Where Is Our Love”, which features Gary Clark Jr., when he was 18 years old, according to the AP. He was compelled to revisit the song during this past year amid “all the confusion and all the hate and all the east versus west, left versus right.” All of the proceeds will go to the nonprofit organization, Feeding America.

As for “Can’t Put It In the Hands of Fate,” which features Rapsody, Cordae, Chika, and Busta Rhymes, Wonder originally envisioned it as a song about a relationship. But, he was inspired to rewrite it after “thinking about where we [[are) in the world and thinking about how this is the most crucial time,” the AP reported.
    “Change is right now. We can’t put it into the hands of fate. Ain’t nobody got time to wait,” he said. “We can’t put it in the hands of fate finding a cure for this dreadful virus. We got to get on our knees and pray or whatever you do.”
    “I want everyone to be well,” he continued. “I don’t care what color you are because actually I don’t see your color. You see color, don’t act like you don’t see color, you do. But I don’t see your visual color. But I do feel your soul. I do feel your spirit. I see the color of your spirit and soul, and I’m seeing too many spirits and souls that are not about the love that we’re supposed to have and feel for one another.”
    Both songs will be released on his new label, So What the Fuss Records, and be distributed by Republic Records.
    Take a listen to the tracks below:

https://www.bet.com/music/2020/10/14/stevie-wonder-new-music-motown-kidney-transplant.html

How great to have a healthy Stevie back with new music.

I thought "Can't Put It In The Hands of Fate" was interesting. As others have noted, it's almost a return to the angry Stevie of the 1970s. I was also pleased that he used live drums and bass. The drummer is Stanley Randolph. The bass is, of course, the one and only Nathan Watts.

I hope the move away from Motown doesn't slow the release of any planned reissue programs. And it would be great to finally get "Gospel Inspired By Lula" - Stevie mentioned that in the press conference as something that might come out on Motown. I wonder if this indicates that album was completed and "delivered" to Motown?

Anyway, let's support Stevie's new tracks. Download, stream and rejoice.

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post
    How great to have a healthy Stevie back with new music.

I thought "Can't Put It In The Hands of Fate" was interesting. As others have noted, it's almost a return to the angry Stevie of the 1970s. I was also pleased that he used live drums and bass. The drummer is Stanley Randolph. The bass is, of course, the one and only Nathan Watts.

I hope the move away from Motown doesn't slow the release of any planned reissue programs. And it would be great to finally get "Gospel Inspired By Lula" - Stevie mentioned that in the press conference as something that might come out on Motown. I wonder if this indicates that album was completed and "delivered" to Motown?

Anyway, let's support Stevie's new tracks. Download, stream and rejoice.
    I wouldn't call the song a throwback to his angry period. It was more of a consciousness period, a woke period, but I would never call it angry.