[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross' solo version : " Endless Love".

I prefer the solo version,compared to the duet version, and would like to hear her vocal only from this recording. This solo version should have been produced by Michael Masser. Somehow, he was able to golden fine tune Diana Ross's voice. I must say I do not like the first musical interlude of the song.
    Last edited by TNSUN; 10-12-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Masser not Nasser typo

While I prefer the duet, I have no problem with the solo version. I remember it getting quite a bit of airplay in my area. Sometimes the dj would even go back and forth between the solo and duet versions.

Much prefer the duet which is one of the best of Motown - ever

are you referring to the solo version of the song on Why Do Fools Fall in Love? or are you suggesting it would have been nice to have Masser do a solo rendition at Motown?

I actually prefer the solo version as well.

I would have liked Michael Masser to have produced the song as Diana Ross singing solo. His awesome tempos in a song are memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I would have liked Michael Masser to have produced the song as Diana Ross singing solo. His awesome tempos in a song are memorable.
    I would have also liked Michael Masser to have produced In Your Arms for Ross. I think Masser/Ross on Someone That I Used To Love could have been awesome.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 10-12-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I would have also liked Michael Masser to have produced In Your Arms for Ross. I think Masser/Ross on Someone That I Used To Love could have been awesome.

I
    agree! both In Your Arms and Tell Me Again cry out for the masterful Masser touch. Imagine if they HAD worked together - would Masser still have produced those mega ballads for Whitney?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    agree! both In Your Arms and Tell Me Again cry out for the masterful Masser touch. Imagine if they HAD worked together - would Masser still have produced those mega ballads for Whitney?
    I forgot about Tell Me Again! I wished it would have been a Masser/Ross production first time I heard it. [[I actually mean produced by Masser, not Ross, lol)

I prefer the duet version woith Lionel but love the solo versioon as well.

In Your Arms is another great track from the grossly under-rated Silk Elkectric Album.

Instead of the anaemic So Close it could easily have been the follow-up to Muscles in the UK although I would have chosen Still In Love first.

Even Who could have been a single.

Certainly those tracks would have been big in the UK in the mid-70s.

I think the solo version can be used as proof-positive that Diana is a simply extraordinary singer. For me, the song is somehow more plaintive and emotional than the duet [[which I also love).

I'm afraid i just do not care for the solo version. It needed a better production, and dare i say it but our lady sounds strained at times. For me this type of production was the main reason [[along with some sub standard songs) why Fools and Silk Electric were such crushing disappointments. I can barely listen to either without cringing. Her vocals could and should have been way better than they are. She saved money by in house producing, but the quality of music suffered badly as a result.

Is it the sound of her voice whithout studio improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I'm afraid i just do not care for the solo version. It needed a better production, and dare i say it but our lady sounds strained at times. For me this type of production was the main reason [[along with some sub standard songs) why Fools and Silk Electric were such crushing disappointments. I can barely listen to either without cringing. Her vocals could and should have been way better than they are. She saved money by in house producing, but the quality of music suffered badly as a result.
    Absolutely. As has been discussed very recently, for me this is the worst vocal performance of her career. To my ears her voice sounds strained, wispy and flat. To listen to her trying to hit those top notes towards the end of the song is for me excruciating. The background music takes bland to a new level.
    It’s almost impossible to equate this as being the same vibrant voice that fronted all those Motown classics. I’m happy that there are those who think it great, sadly i’m unable to share your enthusiasm..

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Is it the sound of her voice whithout studio improvement?
    i don't know that it's the result of studio improvements. rather i think it's the lack of a producer who would drive Diana to be singing at top performance level. it's like she was lazy in the studio - not standing up straight for good vocal support, not pushing herself, not in the moment, etc. also a strong producer would push for perfection and make her do it again if it wasn't just right.

There's no reason she COULDN'T have done an amazing solo version of EL. but IMO this is not that. she's so strained, very thin voice. like she's sitting back on some sofa trying to sing a song and gave it 1 run though on tape and figured "eh - good enough"

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Absolutely. As has been discussed very recently, for me this is the worst vocal performance of her career. To my ears her voice sounds strained, wispy and flat. To listen to her trying to hit those top notes towards the end of the song is for me excruciating. The background music takes bland to a new level.
    It’s almost impossible to equate this as being the same vibrant voice that fronted all those Motown classics. I’m happy that there are those who think it great, sadly i’m unable to share your enthusiasm..
    Respect my man! You and i are obviously on the same wavelength. Comparing her voice on this atrocity against her classic performances is way too painful to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i don't know that it's the result of studio improvements. rather i think it's the lack of a producer who would drive Diana to be singing at top performance level. it's like she was lazy in the studio - not standing up straight for good vocal support, not pushing herself, not in the moment, etc. also a strong producer would push for perfection and make her do it again if it wasn't just right.

There's no reason she COULDN'T have done an amazing solo version of EL. but IMO this is not that. she's so strained, very thin voice. like she's sitting back on some sofa trying to sing a song and gave it 1 run though on tape and figured "eh - good enough"
    Respect to you too Mr M! A good production could have made a world of difference.

Im with you guys on not liking the solo version...I have listened to it once all the way through when the album was released and that was enough for me...ive tried on many occasions to listen to it again but I have to skip it..its bland and empty and sounds like Diana Ross trying to sound like Diana Ross on Karaoke...she could have come up with something amazing after the terrific DIANA album...I was so dissapointed.
    Last edited by mowsville; 10-13-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: missed word

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Im with you guys on not liking the solo version...I have listened to it once all the way through when the album was released and that was enough for me...ive tried on many occasions to listen to it again but I have to skip it..its bland and empty and sounds like Diana Ross trying to sound like Diana Ross on Karaoke...she could have come up with something amazing after the terrific DIANA album...I was so dissapointed.
    That's about what I thought - and that it was filler for the album.